Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Giottos carbon fibre tripod kit for 99

MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 7:14PM
Is this any good ?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-giottos-mt8223-50-carbon-fibre-tripod-kit/p1533359

Hi....I have an excellent Manfrotto tripod and gimbal type head, but weighing in at a total of 3 kilos it is far too heavy to take on holiday or to airshows, which I intend doing a couple of in 2013.
I realize it won't be as good as my Manfrotto gear but weighing little more than one kilo, will it be half decent and reasonably stable ? ...I shoot birds, preferably in flight.
....and it's a sight cheaper than a lot of other carbon fibre tripods on offer.....I have a monopod but not keen on it.

....any views at all....thanks....Mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

14 Nov 2012 7:20PM
I think it would be fine for holidays and landscapes, if it needs weighted down they are easy enough to hang a bag of dirt/stones etc for that added stability. For heavy telephoto lenses well you have that covered.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 7:29PM
...my heaviest lens which I would use at an airshow is 1400 gms...Is that too heavy ?...I don't do landscapes Smile

....Mike
14 Nov 2012 7:37PM
I think it would be fine for that weight, not something I use personally at airshows as i find you spend more time tripping over the dam thing for anything inflight.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
15 Nov 2012 4:13PM
...cheers for that.
16 Nov 2012 9:54AM

Quote:will it be half decent and reasonably stable ?

I do not know.
Unless you collect from the WEX depot, under Distance Selling Regulations you can try it for just over a week to see if it meets your needs, and return it in good condition if you decide it is not what you want.
javam e2
10 1.1k 19 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 12:02PM
Mike, not exactly on topic, but I never use a tripod for flying aircraft at airshows (only static) and only use my monopod for helo shots where I am dropping to 1/50th - 1/100th

I can see how a gimball head would be useful, especially for a large lens, but I have tried tracking aircraft with the camera on a tripod and it was far too limiting. Not least because they tend to go up and down as much (and as fast) as they go from side to side. Unless you want somewhere to hang your coat, I would leave it at home.

Other opinions are of course available Wink

Neil
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 12:51PM

Quote:Is this any good ?

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-giottos-mt8223-50-carbon-fibre-tripod-kit/p1533359

Hi....I have an excellent Manfrotto tripod and gimbal type head, but weighing in at a total of 3 kilos it is far too heavy to take on holiday or to airshows, which I intend doing a couple of in 2013.
I realize it won't be as good as my Manfrotto gear but weighing little more than one kilo, will it be half decent and reasonably stable ? ...I shoot birds, preferably in flight.
....and it's a sight cheaper than a lot of other carbon fibre tripods on offer.....I have a monopod but not keen on it.

....any views at all....thanks....Mike

The maximum height of the tripod is 139cm (4 foot 6) - if you are shooting at an airshow or birds in flight: the lens is pointing upwards and you have to crouch down to look upwards through the VF. Then as the aircraft/bird moves you have to crab round the tripod to follow it. Not my idea of fun....
But it seems to have no centre column so getting a more usable height is not an option.
Snapster e2
2 133 England
16 Nov 2012 12:56PM
Hi Mike,

I've just bought it, too be honest on a bit of an impulse buy.
Had a play around with it in the shop, and for the money it seems fine.
Everything extends and locks well.
There's a double safety catch to stop accidental plate release.
With it being so light, may have to weigh it down but there's a hook at the bottom of the centre column.
It does come with a carrying holdall and the head goes not need to be removed when in bag, also has two spirit level bubbles.
Carbon fibre with the above for 100, seems a good buy.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
16 Nov 2012 4:22PM
....thanks all, I'm 'gonna have to give it more thought.
Unfortunately the nearest camera shop is some 12 miles away...difficult for me to get to.

Quote:Other opinions are of course available

Neil...you mention other options...would you enlighten me ?

cheers.....Mike
javam e2
16 Nov 2012 4:46PM

Quote:Neil...you mention other options...would you enlighten me ?

Hi Mike, I cannot really. I just know I see some people with tripods at air shows so I guess it must work for them. All I can really say with any confidence is it does not for me.

If you just want to keep the weight of camera and lens off your arms/shoulders for the day, I would probably go for a monopod over a tripod as it will be easier to get it up to eye level and track an aircraft with it. I have a Manfroto Neotech with a mini ball head on as it was one of the few that was tall enough for me. I leave the ball slack.

Let me know which airshows you plan to go to next year, would be good to meet up.
MikeRC e2
9 3.5k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 7:17PM
...sorry Neil...you said opinions...not options...I'm losing my marbles Smile

....I'm checking the airshow calendar but unfortunately most far top far for me.

.....good to meet up though...touch of skill might rub off you Smile

...good luck....Mike
javam e2
20 Nov 2012 11:18AM
No problem.

Distance can be an issue, especially the the big ones as you do need to get there early to miss the queues.

The biggest one I go to is the RIAT, but I only live 30 minutes from there so it is at least light when I leave the house.

You will think it is false modesty, but I am not sure as I have a great skill for airshows as such. I think it is more of a 'learned approach' and the result of learning (slowly) from my considerable mistakes and a lot of trial and error, but anything I can do to help short cut that for someone else I am happy to do!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.