Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Giottos Vitruvian VGRN 9255 Vs Calumet 7100 & 3-way Head

jembo 11 104 United Kingdom
25 Feb 2013 8:23PM
I need a travel tripod and the only two that I have been able to have a look at that are suitable in size for what I want are the Giottos Vitruvian VGRN 9255 and the Calumet own brand 7100 model with 3-way head.
There is a massive price difference.
I prefer the locking legs on the Calumet, bet prefer the ball head on the Giottos.
I also like the way the Giottos folds up nice, compact, and neat - with no levers sticking out.
But I have also read of issues with the tripod mounting plate (not being reassuringly secure), and the item on review here had the 2nd locking button fail.
So if you use a Giottos, what camera are you putting on it, have you had any problems with the tripod plate and locking button, and how do you rate it as a travel tripod.
Same questions re the Calumet 7100.

Anyone?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

26 Feb 2013 8:27AM
I have the Giottos VGRN8255-5310-630, Its carbon fibre ways just under a kilo but will take a 6 kilo load. I use it with my m43 kit as i've gone fully light wight now. Packs so small will go inside a photo rucksack. Fantastic bit of kit i use all the time and had no problems at all.
26 Feb 2013 6:55PM
I've used the Giottos tripod with a ball head. I've taken it to China, India, all over Europe and found it to be excellent. I use Canon 7D & 5D and I'd unhesitatingly recommend Giottos with one reservation. If you want both height and rock solid stability, eg for long exposures in breezy conditions, then you might want to look at a more robust tripod/head combination.
26 Feb 2013 7:19PM
Thanks guys.
@ ElectricalImage - just another question - you mention 'for long exposures in breezy conditions, then you might want to look at a more robust tripod/head combination'
Is that because of the head, or the flimsy legs (at the bottom end when fully extended) that let it down?
The reason I ask id that I wonder how it performs on long exposures not at full height?
26 Feb 2013 8:56PM

Quote:
The reason I ask id that I wonder how it performs on long exposures not at full height?

Used mine with exposures getting into 10+ minutes with no problems very sharp images. It was very low to the ground though with no wind dont know what it would be like fully extended.
26 Feb 2013 9:13PM
Hmmmmm....very tempted to invest.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.