Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gives Street a bad name

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Apr 2013 - 9:59 PM

Quote: All street photography is exploitation in some way

Only if you pay them for there troubles.

Its just a fact of life walk into any town centre almost anywhere and you will find people down on there luck.

A lot of the stuff posted in blogs and on websites leaves me a little cold but I thought those three pictures were OK.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Apr 2013 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
12 Apr 2013 - 10:49 PM

So, if you take their picture and walk away, that's OK? But if you give them money, that's exploitation?Sounds cockeyed to me.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2013 - 12:56 AM

Have you ever lived as a homeless person ?

Newdevonian
13 Apr 2013 - 7:23 AM

No, have you?

779HOB
779HOB  2985 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Apr 2013 - 8:11 AM

I was chatting to a few ex-students from Newport Uni (home of the best documentary photography course) they were saying that the homeless in Newport knew all the poses the lecturers wanted and for a fiver would pose for a few shots.

Not sure I would pay a homeless person - If I am photographing a busker I would drop some coins in the hat I am sure. I think I would do the same if the homeless person had a hat in front of them too.

However, how many "street photographer" I hate the term street photography, but how many use anything less than a 200mm lens? I doubt many homeless even know they have been photographed.

I personally only use my 50mm when doing this sort of work - I think it's important to get close to the subject. Heck, why not even chat to them too. Many are very interesting.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2013 - 8:20 AM

I wasn't so much criticising the actual photographs or the photographers, I was just disappointed that out of all the interesting subjects you see around on the streets, and a good street photograph surely has to have a hook to it, the three top winners are practically interchangeable and static. I thought it a bit unadventurous and nearsighted on the judges' parts that they chose three such similar images as the winners.

Newdevonian
13 Apr 2013 - 8:28 AM

Quote: I was chatting to a few ex-students from Newport Uni (home of the best documentary photography course) they were saying that the homeless in Newport knew all the poses the lecturers wanted and for a fiver would pose for a few shots.

If they are willing to co-operate, then the 5 is obviously welcome. However I would be happier going to the local Greggs and buying 5 worth of food for them. and yes; Gregg's sausage rolls are the food of kings! Those and the Belgium buns!

Newdevonian
13 Apr 2013 - 8:33 AM

Quote: I wasn't so much criticising the actual photographs or the photographers, I was just disappointed that out of all the interesting subjects you see around on the streets, and a good street photograph surely has to have a hook to it, the three top winners are practically interchangeable and static. I thought it a bit unadventurous and nearsighted on the judges' parts that they chose three such similar images as the winners.

Sadly photos of the homeless in sordid surroundings are probably more politically correct than happy people feeding the pigeons in Trafalgar square. We live in strange times.

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 13 Apr 2013 - 8:35 AM
Paul Morgan
13 Apr 2013 - 5:39 PM

Quote: No, have you?

Yes, for a spell aged 15.

iancrowson
iancrowson e2 Member 4204 forum postsiancrowson vcard United Kingdom128 Constructive Critique Points
13 Apr 2013 - 11:33 PM

Quote"the winning three are of down and outs"

The winning image is of a street cleaner having a rest, not a down and out.

petebfrance
14 Apr 2013 - 1:25 PM

It certainly portrays street photography as a genre that has not moved on since the ealiest days of photography:
- black and white (de rigour)
- portraying the 'not so well off' so that the rest of us can see the 'squalor' of lesser human beings' lives. (At one time it was also an upper class hobby to visit asylums to see the loonies.)

In reality I think Street Photography needs some re-appraising. With the spread of the internet so many people have access to these pictures that they actually could cause grief / bother to the people involved as it is possible that relatives will get to see etc. etc. and of course a couple caught snogging in the background (or even the foregraound) may, well, you know......

Paul Morgan
14 Apr 2013 - 8:18 PM

Quote: It certainly portrays street photography as a genre that has not moved on since the ealiest days of photography

Its not surprising when you look at some of the silly rules many try to impose Smile

Paul Morgan
18 Apr 2013 - 9:49 PM

Just for you Chris, this chap has the right approach, watch the video at the bottom.

http://fstopspot.com/main/free-guides-for-photographers/street-photography-urban...

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 53989 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 10:29 PM

Great video Paul. The photographer obviously took a great deal of time and got the cooperation of the people involved.

However, what I objected to about the competition winners was the apparent unimaginative impression of what street people are. No connection whatsoever with any other type of person except down-and-outs. There's more to street life than homeless people, or perhaps, I still think the winner was a posed shot.

If people who live on the streets are willing participants I think that's just great, and in this case the video certainly illustrated that they were all very happy to go along with the shoot. But the individual who's just snaps down-and-outs on the street for no particular reason apart from perhaps getting a "street" shot, really gets up my nose. It's so easy.

I'm always amazed and interested at the things you find on the internet Paul. It was a very instructive and insightful read and video. Thank you.Smile
x

Paul Morgan
19 Apr 2013 - 12:39 AM

Yes I thought it was pretty good.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.