Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Giving Blood

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Nov 2012 8:22PM
A week tomorrow my son had major surgery, following complications he needed a massive blood transfusions, the first failed and he needed a second, thankfully the second worked.

This is a very big thank you to all those on here that give blood.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
26 Nov 2012 8:44PM
I think that donating blood is something that all of us should do. It doesn't take very long and it doesn't hurt.
Some forty years ago, a close friend of mine lost his leg in a motorbike accident and was given, seemingly, gallons of blood, without which he wouldn't have survived.
All of his mates, some thirty or so of us, became blood donors overnight. None of us helped him directly but between us, we've helped plenty of others.
26 Nov 2012 9:00PM
I had never given blood until my daughter was born premature. I guess until then it never really hit me how important it was. These days i dont give quite as often as perhaps i should, but whenever i can, i make a point of it
AlexandraSD 3 435 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2012 11:44PM
Its important those who can give blood, do! I'm one of millions who owe their lives to those who give the red stuff over for nowt, its the easiest way to help save a life Smile
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
27 Nov 2012 6:04AM
There are also a hell of a lot who want to but can't give blood. I was critically injured in a crash and now can't give blood because I had a transfusion ... Don't be put off tho just because you have had a transfusion - I believe after a certain date screening makes transfusion blood supplies safe, so recipients of a transfusion can give blood.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
27 Nov 2012 9:52AM
I think the date is something like prior to 1983? Worth checking up on for anyone wanting to donate who has already received a transfusion.

I've been donating for almost 16 years now after going along to a session with a college friend. I had no intention of signing up but somehow I did, but now I just feel a little bit better about myself every time I go to a session knowing that it will help someone along the way.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
27 Nov 2012 9:53AM
I gave blood for over thirty years and I'm pleased that I may have helped people.

Ken
monstersnowman 9 1.7k 1 England
27 Nov 2012 9:59AM

Quote:I think the date is something like prior to 1983? Worth checking up on for anyone wanting to donate who has already received a transfusion.

I've been donating for almost 16 years now after going along to a session with a college friend. I had no intention of signing up but somehow I did, but now I just feel a little bit better about myself every time I go to a session knowing that it will help someone along the way.

I believe if you have received blood after 1980 you cannot donate ... Mine was 1989 and subsequently and I am not allowed.
Metalhead 7 1.9k 2 England
27 Nov 2012 10:02AM
Thanks monster, think I was getting my wires crossed a little there. Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
27 Nov 2012 5:14PM

Quote:There are also a hell of a lot who want to but can't give blood. I was critically injured in a crash and now can't give blood because I had a transfusion

Yes that`s a pity, I can`t give blood for that very reason and now my son can`t either.

At the time of his surgery the fact that my son may have needed a transfusion never even crossed my mind, now I can`t stop thinking about it Smile

He had surgery for Paralysis, caused by a massive tumour on his spine(cervical and head) and I was more concerned with the other risk of surgery, like even more paralysis or death, then whether or not the tumour will turn out to be cancerous or benign.
BEVZED e2
7 1.1k United Kingdom
27 Nov 2012 10:41PM
Sad I have a rare blood group, highly sought after, medication bars me from donating. I have often thought of stopping 2 of the drugs (the other 4 are acceptable) but am told it is not a good idea. I take my hat off to all those that are able and do so willingly Smile
mdpontin 10 6.0k Scotland
27 Nov 2012 10:53PM
I used to give blood regularly. Then a few years ago, I was told that I could no longer do so because of the medication I take, and because I'm likely to be taking that medication for the rest of my life, they told me that they would remove my name from the register.

Several years later, I got a letter to say that apparently I can give blood after all. I've no idea what's changed - I'm still taking the same medication - but apparently the obstacle no longer exists. That or somebody has made an impressive clerical error. I suppose I'll need to go along and see what they say.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.