Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Giving Blood

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Nov 2012 - 8:22 PM

A week tomorrow my son had major surgery, following complications he needed a massive blood transfusions, the first failed and he needed a second, thankfully the second worked.

This is a very big thank you to all those on here that give blood.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Nov 2012 - 8:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
    26 Nov 2012 - 8:44 PM

I think that donating blood is something that all of us should do. It doesn't take very long and it doesn't hurt.
    Some forty years ago, a close friend of mine lost his leg in a motorbike accident and was given, seemingly, gallons of blood, without which he wouldn't have survived.
    All of his mates, some thirty or so of us, became blood donors overnight. None of us helped him directly but between us, we've helped plenty of others.

paulcookphotography

I had never given blood until my daughter was born premature. I guess until then it never really hit me how important it was. These days i dont give quite as often as perhaps i should, but whenever i can, i make a point of it

AlexandraSD
    26 Nov 2012 - 11:44 PM

Its important those who can give blood, do! I'm one of millions who owe their lives to those who give the red stuff over for nowt, its the easiest way to help save a life Smile

monstersnowman
    27 Nov 2012 - 6:04 AM

There are also a hell of a lot who want to but can't give blood. I was critically injured in a crash and now can't give blood because I had a transfusion ... Don't be put off tho just because you have had a transfusion - I believe after a certain date screening makes transfusion blood supplies safe, so recipients of a transfusion can give blood.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 9:52 AM

I think the date is something like prior to 1983? Worth checking up on for anyone wanting to donate who has already received a transfusion.

I've been donating for almost 16 years now after going along to a session with a college friend. I had no intention of signing up but somehow I did, but now I just feel a little bit better about myself every time I go to a session knowing that it will help someone along the way.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123172 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 9:53 AM

I gave blood for over thirty years and I'm pleased that I may have helped people.

Ken

monstersnowman
    27 Nov 2012 - 9:59 AM

Quote: I think the date is something like prior to 1983? Worth checking up on for anyone wanting to donate who has already received a transfusion.

I've been donating for almost 16 years now after going along to a session with a college friend. I had no intention of signing up but somehow I did, but now I just feel a little bit better about myself every time I go to a session knowing that it will help someone along the way.

I believe if you have received blood after 1980 you cannot donate ... Mine was 1989 and subsequently and I am not allowed.

Metalhead
    Metalhead  71878 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks monster, think I was getting my wires crossed a little there. Smile

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Nov 2012 - 5:14 PM

Quote: There are also a hell of a lot who want to but can't give blood. I was critically injured in a crash and now can't give blood because I had a transfusion

Yes that`s a pity, I can`t give blood for that very reason and now my son can`t either.

At the time of his surgery the fact that my son may have needed a transfusion never even crossed my mind, now I can`t stop thinking about it Smile

He had surgery for Paralysis, caused by a massive tumour on his spine(cervical and head) and I was more concerned with the other risk of surgery, like even more paralysis or death, then whether or not the tumour will turn out to be cancerous or benign.

BEVZED
    BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
    27 Nov 2012 - 10:41 PM

Sad I have a rare blood group, highly sought after, medication bars me from donating. I have often thought of stopping 2 of the drugs (the other 4 are acceptable) but am told it is not a good idea. I take my hat off to all those that are able and do so willingly Smile

mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    27 Nov 2012 - 10:53 PM

I used to give blood regularly. Then a few years ago, I was told that I could no longer do so because of the medication I take, and because I'm likely to be taking that medication for the rest of my life, they told me that they would remove my name from the register.

Several years later, I got a letter to say that apparently I can give blood after all. I've no idea what's changed - I'm still taking the same medication - but apparently the obstacle no longer exists. That or somebody has made an impressive clerical error. I suppose I'll need to go along and see what they say.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 27 Nov 2012 - 10:53 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.