Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gizmo for still life/table top photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Foxfire
    Foxfire  10322 forum posts United Kingdom
    14 Nov 2009 - 3:22 AM

Can anyone advise, what the ideal and most cost effective solution is for some kind of clamp set up for still life photography

I am trying to hold in place either the subject its, e.g. like say a flower, suspended over the table, or a small reflector etc.

Any suggestions that will not cost an arm and a leg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Nov 2009 - 3:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry
    csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2009 - 6:46 AM

Depends on what you are using as the reflector.

For flower stems you can use all sorts of household props. Especially looking around at this time of year for Xmas card holders that feature a weighted base, stem and then a small crocodile clip. This will hold either the flower or a small piece of mirrored card.

Worth looking at as well is the Wimberley plamp. Which is a plant or accessory clamp.

A good source of weird and wonderful clamping accessories can be found at Maplins.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2009 - 7:47 AM

There was a company that produced a neat kit for this and I had their catalogue. I'm looking for it at the mo as it could make a nice Chrissie Pressie so will put the details up if I do find it.

Speedgraphic stock this kit for 89 but its not so flexible as the one I remember.

Last Modified By brian1208 at 14 Nov 2009 - 7:48 AM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Foxfire
    14 Nov 2009 - 1:48 PM

Quote: There was a company that produced a neat kit for this and I had their catalogue. I'm looking for it at the mo as it could make a nice Chrissie Pressie so will put the details up if I do find it.

Speedgraphic stock this kit for 89 but its not so flexible as the one I remember.

Brian this looks like a good start - but appears not have some flexible rod, so I can bend it like Beckham...lol

I definately will keep that one in mind - thanks for the suggestion

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2009 - 2:06 PM

they do do at least 2 flexible rods as well - as shown here but from memory the one I am looking for was a better set-up

Foxfire
    14 Nov 2009 - 3:00 PM

Quote: Depends on what you are using as the reflector.

For flower stems you can use all sorts of household props. Especially looking around at this time of year for Xmas card holders that feature a weighted base, stem and then a small crocodile clip. This will hold either the flower or a small piece of mirrored card.

Worth looking at as well is the Wimberley plamp. Which is a plant or accessory clamp.

A good source of weird and wonderful clamping accessories can be found at Maplins.

Really good suggestions, I like the christmas card holder idea too- cool and the Maplins idea is great, already saw something taht would be really suitable and cheap a chips. Maplin was a real brainstormer on your part, but the Wimberly got my vote, as being a must have in the kit bag anyway.

I will defiantely invest in the Wimberly and a trip down to the local maplin is also on the cards.

Many thanks for your help

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7833 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom172 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2009 - 3:16 PM

These ought to be good enough for a still-life set up.

link

link

cattyal
    cattyal e2 Member 96002 forum postscattyal vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Nov 2009 - 3:21 PM

And I've about three of these - take out the magnifying bit and they're very useful - in fact mine have been used so much they're dying on me.....

I've stacks of cheap clamps picked up from poundshops and the like - they're always very useful - as is nylon thread

PhotoKaren
    15 Nov 2009 - 10:29 PM

The photo holders are a great idea! Going to head to the shops tomorrow to get some.
    I've been trying out some still life during the evening and in trying to set up the shot I wanted ended up sellotaping flower stems to tissues boxes.

roelf
    roelf  1028 forum posts Netherlands3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2009 - 6:59 PM

BLUE TAK !!!!!
    Wink

geoffash26
    geoffash26  102506 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Nov 2009 - 7:11 PM

As Cheryl recommended and they're not to bulky keep mine in the camera bag all the time very handy in the field for holding reflectors etc

brian1208
    24 Nov 2009 - 9:48 AM

A bit late probably but I promised to put the info up if I found it, so here's the link to climpex who make the kits I mentioned

FatHandedChap
    24 Nov 2009 - 3:49 PM

We used to use retort stands and clamps at college - see if you can befriend a school technician and see if they're throwing any out.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.