Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    B_Real
    B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Jan 2013 - 11:04 AM

My sister is flying to USA & back shortly. I checked on B&Hphotovideo and they do the Go Pro Hero 3 Black Edition for $400 (~250). I've found it here in the UK on Amazon for 500 (pah) or digitalrev for 329 delivered.

My question is, has anyone seen it cheaper than this in duty free?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jan 2013 - 11:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91032 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 1:04 PM

You can get it cheaper than 500 direct from GoPro themselves (360). I've not seen the Black edition cheaper anywhere else (except as an import, which is what I suspect the DigitalRev price is. I was going to buy one myself (not a Black, but possibly a Silver) but I've been put off by the bad things I've read about their customer service in the event of a failure. That said, they offer a 30 day money back guarantee on their website.

StuartAt
    StuartAt e2 Member 91032 forum postsStuartAt vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jan 2013 - 1:54 PM

Re my earlier comment about GoPro customer service - I just found this.

MikeA
    MikeA  91168 forum posts England
    24 Jan 2013 - 4:34 PM

Dogcam: 360 http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/GoPro-3-Cameras.html

Above is a typical price for UK stockists.

Last Modified By MikeA at 24 Jan 2013 - 4:37 PM
    StuartAt
    24 Jan 2013 - 7:51 PM

Been reading various reviews and I'm put off by the battery life - looks like it may only last about 30-45 minutes. If I'm out on my mountain bike, I don't want to worry about whether the battery has run out or not (although you can buy spares).

B_Real
    25 Jan 2013 - 10:47 AM

Yeah the 500 Amazon price looked well dodgy. 329 digirev is import.

Had read similar bad reviews and initially that totally put me off. The link provided to their statement has a bit that says:

"We believe all known bugs have been fixed with a software update that was published on December 15th at https://gopro.zendesk.com/home. Most GoPros currently on sale in stores have the most up to date software."

So it looks like they're on the road to addressing the problem. However, if I buy from duty free in an american airport, I wonder about the help I could expect here in the UK, in terms of refund. 2 year warranty on the dogcam website, assuming that's manufacturers warranty?

Battery life is an issue as well, as you say.

B_Real
    25 Jan 2013 - 3:53 PM

Also does anyone use their GPHD3 Black as a stills camera, and how does it compare to say a decent point & shoot (e.g. a canon s100)?

I'm thinking as an alternative to carrying round a p&s on mtb / snowboard jaunts.

Its difficult finding much details on the gopro, this is all I could find:

Ultra sharp /2.8 6-element aspherical glass lens
    Ultra wide angle / reduced distortion
    12MP resolutions.

No idea what the sensor size is (tiny i imagine), or how the shutter speed is controlled in stills to expose correctly. Or if it shoots raw files?

kevspiers
    kevspiers  867 forum posts
    19 Mar 2013 - 10:20 PM

I have been looking at timelapse stuff and very intrigued by the Gopro Black edition. Two good websites gopro user forum and Abe Kislevitz.

As for problems with the Black the software update seems to have fixed know issues but some sandisk 64mb cards are not class 10 so causing further problems.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.