Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going back to film!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

zed
zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 - 5:22 PM

Hi, ordered some film for my dusty old uni camera, I felt sorry for it sat on the side doing nothing, now, can I remember how to use it! I'm sure it will all come back to me!!

Lokking forward to it, every shot counts!

z
x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Mar 2012 - 5:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2012 - 5:27 PM

Good luck............... and don't bother looking on the back of the camera to see if the shot has come out! Lol! Wink

zed
zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 - 5:32 PM

I know, I've already thought "how will I know if it's all ok?!" doh!Tongue

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014635 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2012 - 5:33 PM

Good luck Z, sounds like fun.

TonyBrooks
28 Mar 2012 - 5:39 PM

On the day of reckoning!! it will not be just film cameras we'll go back too?

Good Luck

redsnappa
redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 - 6:59 PM

"Good luck Z, sounds like fun."
taking a photo or lots of 'em
deliver or take the film for developing
wait until said film is delivered (min 24hours)
look at the poorly printer interpretation of the magnificent photo you took
decide to get you masterpiece needs reprinting
realize that the oiks who developed your file have scratched your negatives

How can that be fun!!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
28 Mar 2012 - 8:25 PM

Quote: decide to get you masterpiece needs reprinting

Or scan the aforesaid masterpiece, fiddle around with it in PS for ages, and then try and print it properly yourself! Lol! Wink

LesJD
LesJD  2145 forum posts Wales
28 Mar 2012 - 8:44 PM

Do you realise that you'll double the value of you camera by putting film in it Wink

Carabosse
28 Mar 2012 - 9:14 PM

Quote: Do you realise that you'll double the value of you camera by putting film in it

Not if Zoe's camera is a Leica M6. Wink

monstersnowman
29 Mar 2012 - 4:05 AM

Good luck, and it will be nice to see some results because I have been involved in countless threads about people who say how great film is and how they are about to go back to film or experiment with film and are about to load a film and will post the results soon, but days, weeks and months pass and to date have not ever seen one single repost with images ... I genuinely always hope to see what they achieve.

Scottjessuk
29 Mar 2012 - 10:30 PM

I bought a few rolls of some Ilford delta 400 at the start of the year so decided to take my Canon eos 3 out the box and go out shooting, I dont have a full frame digital so I'd forgotten what it's like when you put a 17mm lens on it. it looked so wide it was great.

I hope you also have a great time shooting some pics oldschool Grin

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
30 Mar 2012 - 11:40 AM

At least you don't need to have half a dozen backups for film, it should be good for at least 100 years. Grin

Also no complicated computer software, just a lamp, a lens, paper and some chemicals. Grin Grin Grin

Quote: deliver or take the film for developing
wait until said film is delivered (min 24hours)
look at the poorly printer interpretation of the magnificent photo you took
decide to get you masterpiece needs reprinting
realize that the oiks who developed your file have scratched your negatives

DIY Grin

Last Modified By macroman at 30 Mar 2012 - 11:44 AM
keith selmes
30 Mar 2012 - 1:38 PM

Negatives are easily damaged or destroyed, and it only lasts 100 years if its processed and stored properly.
So ironically if I want to play safe I scan it. And keep back up copies.
Of course with 35mm it is easy to do several frames the same and store separately.

Certainly no point in getting someone else do your dev and print. Why should they have all the fun.
It really is good doing the whole process without using a computer.
Nowadays that is just pure magic.

Carabosse
30 Mar 2012 - 1:42 PM

Digital or digitised is safest. You can put the files on a cloud. Smile

monstersnowman
4 Apr 2012 - 11:42 PM

Quote: At least you don't need to have half a dozen backups for film, it should be good for at least 100 years. Grin

Also no complicated computer software, just a lamp, a lens, paper and some chemicals. Grin Grin Grin

I think you may have simplified a process that most on here found too labourious to continue doing - if it was just a case of a lamp (I have a nice bedside one), a lens (well I have a magnifying glass), paper (got reams of the stuff for my laser printer), chemicals (well I have chemicals but I guess you need to have special ones) Grin Grin Grin

There is the little details about taking over the bathroom whilst people suddenly decide they want to use it, trailing extension cables, safelights, blacking out the room, drying prints and film, fumbling in small darkened spaces with chemicals and paper, trays etc all around you .. seriously ... the computer software is only complicated if you want to do complicated things and it happens in a lovely comfortable space on my desk any time night or day and with no inconvenience to myself or anyone else. I can stop and start and restart any time at a second's notice. I dont have half a dozen backups I have two sets of images and I am looking into cloud storage. I have every single digital image I ever took, that I wanted to keep, and they fit in a tiny box with massive spare capacity. I dont think I have a decent undamaged negative in existence. Its all good fun isnt it ;o) Each to their own.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 4 Apr 2012 - 11:46 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.