Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Going back to film!

zed e2
10 551 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 5:22PM
Hi, ordered some film for my dusty old uni camera, I felt sorry for it sat on the side doing nothing, now, can I remember how to use it! I'm sure it will all come back to me!!

Lokking forward to it, every shot counts!

z
x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 5:27PM
Good luck............... and don't bother looking on the back of the camera to see if the shot has come out! Lol! Wink
zed e2
10 551 United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 5:32PM
I know, I've already thought "how will I know if it's all ok?!" doh!Tongue
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
28 Mar 2012 5:33PM
Good luck Z, sounds like fun.
28 Mar 2012 5:39PM
On the day of reckoning!! it will not be just film cameras we'll go back too?

Good Luck
redsnappa e2
12 2.0k United Kingdom
28 Mar 2012 6:59PM
"Good luck Z, sounds like fun."
taking a photo or lots of 'em
deliver or take the film for developing
wait until said film is delivered (min 24hours)
look at the poorly printer interpretation of the magnificent photo you took
decide to get you masterpiece needs reprinting
realize that the oiks who developed your file have scratched your negatives

How can that be fun!!
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 8:25PM

Quote:decide to get you masterpiece needs reprinting

Or scan the aforesaid masterpiece, fiddle around with it in PS for ages, and then try and print it properly yourself! Lol! Wink
LesJD e2
2 152 Wales
28 Mar 2012 8:44PM
Do you realise that you'll double the value of you camera by putting film in it Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
28 Mar 2012 9:14PM

Quote:Do you realise that you'll double the value of you camera by putting film in it

Not if Zoe's camera is a Leica M6. Wink
29 Mar 2012 4:05AM
Good luck, and it will be nice to see some results because I have been involved in countless threads about people who say how great film is and how they are about to go back to film or experiment with film and are about to load a film and will post the results soon, but days, weeks and months pass and to date have not ever seen one single repost with images ... I genuinely always hope to see what they achieve.
29 Mar 2012 10:30PM
I bought a few rolls of some Ilford delta 400 at the start of the year so decided to take my Canon eos 3 out the box and go out shooting, I dont have a full frame digital so I'd forgotten what it's like when you put a 17mm lens on it. it looked so wide it was great.

I hope you also have a great time shooting some pics oldschool Grin
macroman e2
11 15.3k England
30 Mar 2012 11:40AM
At least you don't need to have half a dozen backups for film, it should be good for at least 100 years. Grin

Also no complicated computer software, just a lamp, a lens, paper and some chemicals. Grin Grin Grin

Quote:deliver or take the film for developing
wait until said film is delivered (min 24hours)
look at the poorly printer interpretation of the magnificent photo you took
decide to get you masterpiece needs reprinting
realize that the oiks who developed your file have scratched your negatives

DIY Grin
keith selmes
11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
30 Mar 2012 1:38PM
Negatives are easily damaged or destroyed, and it only lasts 100 years if its processed and stored properly.
So ironically if I want to play safe I scan it. And keep back up copies.
Of course with 35mm it is easy to do several frames the same and store separately.

Certainly no point in getting someone else do your dev and print. Why should they have all the fun.
It really is good doing the whole process without using a computer.
Nowadays that is just pure magic.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Mar 2012 1:42PM
Digital or digitised is safest. You can put the files on a cloud. Smile
4 Apr 2012 11:42PM

Quote:At least you don't need to have half a dozen backups for film, it should be good for at least 100 years. Grin

Also no complicated computer software, just a lamp, a lens, paper and some chemicals. Grin Grin Grin

I think you may have simplified a process that most on here found too labourious to continue doing - if it was just a case of a lamp (I have a nice bedside one), a lens (well I have a magnifying glass), paper (got reams of the stuff for my laser printer), chemicals (well I have chemicals but I guess you need to have special ones) Grin Grin Grin

There is the little details about taking over the bathroom whilst people suddenly decide they want to use it, trailing extension cables, safelights, blacking out the room, drying prints and film, fumbling in small darkened spaces with chemicals and paper, trays etc all around you .. seriously ... the computer software is only complicated if you want to do complicated things and it happens in a lovely comfortable space on my desk any time night or day and with no inconvenience to myself or anyone else. I can stop and start and restart any time at a second's notice. I dont have half a dozen backups I have two sets of images and I am looking into cloud storage. I have every single digital image I ever took, that I wanted to keep, and they fit in a tiny box with massive spare capacity. I dont think I have a decent undamaged negative in existence. Its all good fun isnt it ;o) Each to their own.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.