Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going back to film!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

monstersnowman
26 Jun 2012 - 1:55 AM

Has the film been finished yet Zed ? I do watch these 'back to film' threads with interest because I would like to see if anyone, using digital, that went back to film because they yearned for the old ways and felt it may offer more, did actually get something or indeed anything.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jun 2012 - 1:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

zed
zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 - 11:59 AM

Still not finished! i think I am taking the whole "don't want to waste any" to the extreme!!Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139497 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jun 2012 - 12:10 PM

This is very tantalising, Zoe! Wink

polis_928tadw59

zed, Best of luck.... It is a good job you have not a 250 shot film back fitted to your camera. Wink We wait in anticipation.

zed
zed  10551 forum posts United Kingdom
26 Jun 2012 - 1:35 PM

Ha, not really tantalising, more lame!!! lol.Tongue

slaughteredlamb
26 Jun 2012 - 9:41 PM

Well here are a few I've taken. These are largely test shots that I took to see if the camera I bought off of eBay, a Canon EOS 5, was working properly.

11.jpg
Camden Town Tube Station

13.jpg
Camden Market

22.jpg
Bar Sign

16.jpg
Wrecked Car

19.jpg
Romford Dogs

23.jpg
Romford Dogs

All colour photos were shot on Kodak Ektar 100 whilst the B&W was Ilford HP5 Plus

monstersnowman
26 Jun 2012 - 9:54 PM

Slaughteredlamb - Are they edited digitally .... The reason I ask is that they are very good and one of the things about the film threads is that some people see the advantage of film is the quality and 'straight out of camera' simplicity of film rather than shooting film then reverting to a digital process to 'create' an image. Some obviously embrace a mixed journey and that is as valid as any route. I do like your images very much, whichever way they were created.

slaughteredlamb
26 Jun 2012 - 10:01 PM

Quote: Slaughteredlamb - Are they edited digitally .... The reason I ask is that they are very good and one of the things about the film threads is that some people see the advantage of film is the quality and 'straight out of camera' simplicity of film rather than shooting film then reverting to a digital process to 'create' an image. Some obviously embrace a mixed journey and that is as valid as any route. I do like your images very much, whichever way they were created.

These films were processed only. I then scanned the negs using my Plustek Opticfilm 7600i 35mm film scanner using Silverfast SE software. Within this software you can do minor adjustments to exposure, contrast etc. I'm 99% certain I didn't do anything to them in Silverfast or if I did it was incredibly minor. Once scanned I did then open them in Photoshop and did do a bit of dust removal that the scanner missed and applied minor contrast/curves adjustment on the last B&W photo and the bar sign. Other than that they are essentially straight from the camera. The thing I found with the Ektar stock is that I just loved the look straight off the neg and didn't want to change anything about it. Thanks for the comments, I must admit I was surprised at how well they came out as I was really just running the film through the camera to see if the camera worked or not and didn't really give it that much thought.

monstersnowman
26 Jun 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well, the Eos 5 IS 'working properly' :0)

landscapepics
29 Jun 2012 - 10:41 PM

Some excellent results, Slaughtered lamb. Good composition and a nice variety of subject matter

landscapepics
29 Jun 2012 - 10:48 PM

Here's a film image from a recent trip to the Isle of Harris

2012-5-24--yashicamat--harris-bays--portra-160--038.jpg.

This was taken on a Yashicamat 124G twin lens reflex which I bought for 100. Film was Kodak Portra 160, now my favourite film.

Last Modified By landscapepics at 29 Jun 2012 - 10:49 PM
KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
30 Jun 2012 - 1:54 AM

Hmm.. There's nowt wrong with the quality from EOS5 and Yashicatmat is there.. (also useful/interesting comment about Kodak Portra). I've a handful of oldies ranging from tank-like, but pristine Nikkormat to Bronica ETRSi and Yashicaflex. I'm ancient enough to have used film from a kid and I continue to kid myself I'll try them one day, but this is an encouraging insight and spur to actually do something about it...thanks (I think....) guys...!!

slaughteredlamb
30 Jun 2012 - 2:58 PM

The more stuff I see shot on film the more I want to shoot film. There just seems to be a 'feel' to film that you don't quite get with digital. That's not to say that one is better than the other, just that they are different and both valid. I have my heart set on a Canon 5D MKIII but know that I have no means of affording it and there are definitely times I prefer shooting digital over film but I love the fact that I can and do now shoot both. I would love to shoot medium format too but without the means myself to scan it puts me off buying a 120 camera. That said, looking at your lovely photo landscapepics makes me want to do this even more so

landscapepics
30 Jun 2012 - 10:48 PM

One thing that people might not realise is that the available films have improved in recent years. Whilst some film types have disappeared, other new ones have appeared. Kodak Portra is a good example, released in 2011 I think; it's noted for it's wide exposure latitude, meaning that it can cope well with being underexposed or overexposed. It has fairly soft tones, thus it's popular for portraits, but I also find it very good for landscapes.

Most of my film work is now on Portra, apart from some old stock of other stuff that hasn't been used up yet.

For those wanting to experiment with 35mm film cheaply, Poundland in the UK stock 24-exposure Kodacolor 200 film for 1 a roll and I just picked up some Agfa Vista Plus from the same source. Mostly I use these films for testing any old cameras I buy / have donated. However once you're sure a camera is working OK, a better film like Portra is worth the money as it can cope with a wider range of lighting conditions.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2012 - 12:18 AM

Slaughteredlamb, how much of the look you are getting is down to the scanner, as looking at the 1st two images I would say that looks like the colour response of the scanner is a fair part of it. Have you direct prints from negative to compare ?

I found my A570 gave a similar colour response in the underground, like the images BTW.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.