Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going for the E3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

BoudoirByHelen

I'm now pretty happily established in studio photography however Ive just never bothered upgraing my E500s its always been stick with it or go to canon

So I now have the chance to purchase an E-3 , does anyone use them professionally and are you happy with it?

My 500 and even a 300 have been rocks, working in all weathers, cold etc and Ive been really happy with it.

I am thinking about the full frame versus four thirds system but again I have lots of olympus stuff and Id have to start from fresh and it would cost alot more to go to canon.

Any pros or cons of the E-3?

Or should I really be looking to move manufacturer

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Dec 2009 - 3:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
5 Dec 2009 - 4:45 PM

I've sent Paul Morgan (Challenge Team) a PM alerting him to your query; Paul is an E3 user and has nothing but praise for it.

HTH's...

BoudoirByHelen

thanks Mike, Ive just been speaking to someone else about it, they said about having to manually dial in the focal length if I dont have an SWD lense, so Ill leave that Q for Paul as well lol hope he wont mind. However everyone seems happy Ive spoken to so far

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2009 - 6:45 PM

Quote: Any pros or cons of the E-3?

If your already using the 4/3 system with its glass, no cons at all, excellent quality lens line up that's no more expensive than any other provider and the new wireless flash system really shines, unlike other systems its not line of site only.

Pro Marc Rogoff uses the 4/3 system and E3 for his fashion and studio stuff.

Quote: Thanks Mike, Ive just been speaking to someone else about it, they said about having to manually dial in the focal length if I dont have an SWD lense, so Ill leave that Q for Paul as well lol hope he wont mind. However everyone seems happy Ive spoken to so far

Swd lenses or not, they all work fine, no need to dial in any focal length, that other person has no idea at all so don`t worry.

Maybe there just confused with another excellent feature not often talked about, great IS on absolutely any lens from 30+ year old zuiko`s or any other manual focus lens even lensbaby`s. If you wish a custom strength of IS can be dialled in for any lens just by picking a focal length in the menu and it does not have to be the focal length of the lens your using, a feature worth exploring and playing with.

Quote: I've sent Paul Morgan (Challenge Team) a PM alerting him to your query; Paul is an E3 user and has nothing but praise for it.

HTH's...

And the D300 or D300S Mike Smile

BoudoirByHelen

fantastic thanks

User_Removed
5 Dec 2009 - 8:17 PM

Wink

Grin

BoudoirByHelen

ordered with battery grip *dances about excitedly*

filmforever
7 Dec 2009 - 7:29 PM

Have to admit, thinking of changing over to the Olympus system, both for digital and film. There's another factor comes into play when trying to choose between a full frame 35mm system and four thirds.....weight & bulk......Do you really want to carry around full frame Nikon or Canon outfit all day??....compare to say an E3 with 12-60mm.....(24-120mm 35mm eqivalent)....no contest!

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314810 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2009 - 8:55 PM

Quote: Have to admit, thinking of changing over to the Olympus system, both for digital and film. There's another factor comes into play when trying to choose between a full frame 35mm system and four thirds.....weight & bulk

Guess you have not handled an E3 with the 35-100 f2, the lens is not exactly lightweight Smile

MattGrayson
8 Dec 2009 - 9:49 AM

Neither is the E3, grip and 12-60mm lens.

Or do I needs me spinachsk? Smile

I would've suggested looking at the E-30 as I think it delivers slightly more than the E-3 but I use both happily and they're both very good. I like the E-30 more because it has more advanced noise control due to being newer. I don't think you'll be unhappy, though.

Paul Morgan
9 Dec 2009 - 4:37 PM

Quote: I would've suggested looking at the E-30

That thought had crossed my mind.

Found I have`nt needed a grip as yet, internal battery seems to last well between charges.

filmforever
9 Dec 2009 - 6:16 PM

Quote: Quote:Guess you have not handled an E3 with the 35-100 f2, the lens is not exactly lightweight

No the only model I've handled is the E620, which is delightfully compact and light, and what seems to be a faster autofocus than my previous Nikon. There seems to be a bit of a shortage of E3's in the stores, I'd begun to think they'd been discontinued.
I've handled the Nikon D3 and it's a monster!...heavy, bulky, so far as I'm concerned suitable mainly for sports photographers, who most of the time are in static positions and can put their gear down on the ground.

BoudoirByHelen
11 Dec 2009 - 2:43 PM

The shop I got mine from said that theres a shortage, but only took a week, Im used to places stocking little olympus tbh

It is heavy! but will get used to it, nearly bought the 50-200 SWD, but glad I didnt - think weight lifting classes would have been needed.

bppowell
bppowell e2 Member 122123 forum postsbppowell vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2009 - 3:04 PM

Thinking of upgrading myself, would have liked to have gone for the E30 but need wireless transmission so it has to be the E3 for me.

Barry

Paul Morgan
11 Dec 2009 - 8:04 PM

Barry the E30 supports wireless, in fact I think its pretty much identical to that of the E3.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.