Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going for the E3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bppowell
bppowell  122124 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2009 - 8:59 PM

Thanks Paul, I must have read the spec wrong I will have another look.

Barry

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Dec 2009 - 8:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell
11 Dec 2009 - 9:13 PM

Paul, I have had a look at the spec for both the E3 and E30 and now I am confused. I was under the impression that the E3 would allow me to transmit the images from the camera to a laptop wirelessly but the E30 would not. After looking at the specs again I am not sure either of them will.

I am starting to cover more events were poeple have been drinking and would like to remove all cables that can be removed.

Barry

Last Modified By bppowell at 11 Dec 2009 - 9:19 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314951 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2009 - 9:21 PM

Quote: Paul, I have had a look at the spec for both the E3 and E30 and now I am confused. I was under the impression that the E3 would allow me to transmit the images from the camera to a laptop wirelessly but the E30 would not. After looking at the specs again I am not sure either of them will

The wireless capability is with flash, nothing to do transferring images Smile

bppowell
11 Dec 2009 - 9:31 PM

Thats what I gathered when I had another look. Certainly not worth paying the extra for an E3. I know you have a better build quality but that is not important to me.

Barry

filmforever
14 Dec 2009 - 11:57 AM

I notice that there are hardly any single focal length lenses in the four thirds system. I was contemplating an E3 with the 12-60mm lens as standard. However with the bulk and weight of the 50-200mm, I was rather thinking of utilsing either a 100mm or 135mm OM series manual lens. Can the OM series lenses be used on the E3 without too much of a problem. Obviously I realise you lose the automated functions, but what about the automatic diaphram operation? And is there a quality loss, anyone tried this?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314951 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2009 - 7:50 PM

Quote: I notice that there are hardly any single focal length lenses in the four thirds system

Take your pick, 8mm, 17mm, 20mm,24mm, 25mm x 2, 30mm, 35mm, 50mm x 2, 105mm, 150mm x 2, 300mm and a crop of lensbabys Smile

Quote: Can the OM series lenses be used on the E3 without too much of a problem. Obviously I realise you lose the automated functions, but what about the automatic diaphram operation? And is there a quality loss, anyone tried this?

With the right 4/3 adapter pretty much any lens could be used.

Tamron produced some lovely adaptal 2 lenses, top of my list 135 f2.5 and 500 mirror. Then there`s the 24mm, 50mm and 100mm zuiko`s, all gems.

You have to use stop down metering and I find that there not quite as contrasty as the modern equivalents, easily corrected though.

filmforever
15 Dec 2009 - 6:45 PM

Thanks Paul, I hadn't realised there was a single length 105mm available, with a 12-60mm zoom, that could be an ideal longer lens, giving me the 35mm equivalent of 210mm. Thought the only 150mm was an f2 ? a bit prohibitively expensive and probably heavy too!
Yes, I know of the quality of the Tamrons, had the 135 f2.5 in Nikon mount some years ago, unfortunately had it stolen during a confrontation whilst covering a riot.

filmforever
22 Dec 2009 - 2:54 PM

Comparing the specification of the E3 with the E620, I notice that the latter has a slightly higher spec. in terms of megapixels...12mp for the E620 as opposed to 10mp for the E3. Yet the E620 is half the price at around 459. I appreciate the E3 is built tougher, but is there something I'm missing here.....At face value it seems that the E620 will have the edge on quality.

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2009 - 4:27 PM

No of pixels does not automatically mean higher quality - if they're crammed into the same size sensor then the photosites need to be smaller and closer together, more noise etc

BoudoirByHelen
23 Dec 2009 - 5:23 PM

Well had the E-3 what a couple of weeks now, enjoying it

Struggled with the one touch WB have to google to find out I needed to program the function button first lol

Bit cheesed I have the FL-36 and not FL-36R as i would have loved to use the wireless option with that. Few little apparent teething problems but I think more user error, getting used to where everything is etc. My older Mk-1 lenses are noticeably slower but again with upgrading something that I can sort in time. Otherwise v pleased.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.