Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Going for the E3

bppowell e2
13 2.1k 2 England
11 Dec 2009 8:59PM
Thanks Paul, I must have read the spec wrong I will have another look.

Barry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bppowell e2
13 2.1k 2 England
11 Dec 2009 9:13PM
Paul, I have had a look at the spec for both the E3 and E30 and now I am confused. I was under the impression that the E3 would allow me to transmit the images from the camera to a laptop wirelessly but the E30 would not. After looking at the specs again I am not sure either of them will.

I am starting to cover more events were poeple have been drinking and would like to remove all cables that can be removed.

Barry
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
11 Dec 2009 9:21PM

Quote:Paul, I have had a look at the spec for both the E3 and E30 and now I am confused. I was under the impression that the E3 would allow me to transmit the images from the camera to a laptop wirelessly but the E30 would not. After looking at the specs again I am not sure either of them will

The wireless capability is with flash, nothing to do transferring images Smile
bppowell e2
13 2.1k 2 England
11 Dec 2009 9:31PM
Thats what I gathered when I had another look. Certainly not worth paying the extra for an E3. I know you have a better build quality but that is not important to me.

Barry
14 Dec 2009 11:57AM
I notice that there are hardly any single focal length lenses in the four thirds system. I was contemplating an E3 with the 12-60mm lens as standard. However with the bulk and weight of the 50-200mm, I was rather thinking of utilsing either a 100mm or 135mm OM series manual lens. Can the OM series lenses be used on the E3 without too much of a problem. Obviously I realise you lose the automated functions, but what about the automatic diaphram operation? And is there a quality loss, anyone tried this?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
14 Dec 2009 7:50PM

Quote:I notice that there are hardly any single focal length lenses in the four thirds system

Take your pick, 8mm, 17mm, 20mm,24mm, 25mm x 2, 30mm, 35mm, 50mm x 2, 105mm, 150mm x 2, 300mm and a crop of lensbabys Smile

Quote:Can the OM series lenses be used on the E3 without too much of a problem. Obviously I realise you lose the automated functions, but what about the automatic diaphram operation? And is there a quality loss, anyone tried this?

With the right 4/3 adapter pretty much any lens could be used.

Tamron produced some lovely adaptal 2 lenses, top of my list 135 f2.5 and 500 mirror. Then there`s the 24mm, 50mm and 100mm zuiko`s, all gems.

You have to use stop down metering and I find that there not quite as contrasty as the modern equivalents, easily corrected though.
15 Dec 2009 6:45PM
Thanks Paul, I hadn't realised there was a single length 105mm available, with a 12-60mm zoom, that could be an ideal longer lens, giving me the 35mm equivalent of 210mm. Thought the only 150mm was an f2 ? a bit prohibitively expensive and probably heavy too!
Yes, I know of the quality of the Tamrons, had the 135 f2.5 in Nikon mount some years ago, unfortunately had it stolen during a confrontation whilst covering a riot.
22 Dec 2009 2:54PM
Comparing the specification of the E3 with the E620, I notice that the latter has a slightly higher spec. in terms of megapixels...12mp for the E620 as opposed to 10mp for the E3. Yet the E620 is half the price at around 459. I appreciate the E3 is built tougher, but is there something I'm missing here.....At face value it seems that the E620 will have the edge on quality.
Tooth e2
9 5.8k 227 Ireland
22 Dec 2009 4:27PM
No of pixels does not automatically mean higher quality - if they're crammed into the same size sensor then the photosites need to be smaller and closer together, more noise etc
23 Dec 2009 5:23PM
Well had the E-3 what a couple of weeks now, enjoying it

Struggled with the one touch WB have to google to find out I needed to program the function button first lol

Bit cheesed I have the FL-36 and not FL-36R as i would have loved to use the wireless option with that. Few little apparent teething problems but I think more user error, getting used to where everything is etc. My older Mk-1 lenses are noticeably slower but again with upgrading something that I can sort in time. Otherwise v pleased.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.