Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going to Rome; Who's been?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 6:36 PM

Me and my better half (I'll deny that in court) are off to Rome this October, on account of me turning thirty last week, and her being in her twenties until the end of the year Wink

We're at the point of trying to find a hotel. Five nights, around 400-500. I'm just trying to see if anyone here has stayed anywhere that they'd recommend, and any pointers to consider when we're there. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jun 2011 - 6:36 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 6:42 PM

beware of pickpockets, especially when you try to get on a bus/train etc.

discreetphoton
discreetphoton Site Moderator 93443 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 7:01 PM

Thanks Cole, I've heard that. Did you stay in a hotel, or just sleep on the street? Wink

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 7:04 PM

It's been awhile, but I've never had any problems with what Cole mentioned, but that could happen anywhere. The transportation system was good, and very cheap at the time. Better confirm that. Don't plan on eating many meals in the downtown area, it's a terribly expensive rippoff area, like any tourist spot. The hotels I stayed in were great, and paid for by my company. Your budget might not cover one night, so can't help there. Imo, stay in or near a village on the outskirts of Rome, and travel by bus to the tourist areas. Eat where the locals eat, and you can pig out without a mortgage. Take lots of water when you go travelling the city, they'll soak you for what you're worth for a cold drink; $14.00 USD for a beer downtown, and $17.00 if you sit down.Tongue Just be prepared, and remember it's one big tourist trap. Be careful in narrow lanes, taxi drivers tend to use them, and you have to flatten yourself into a doorway, or get run over. Also, people throw their garbage and wash water out their windows from above, so watch for that.

Enjoy!Grin

discreetphoton
30 Jun 2011 - 7:37 PM

Thanks Denny, the premium for sitting down was a new one to me. Cheers.

barrovian
barrovian e2 Member 9159 forum postsbarrovian vcard United Kingdom
30 Jun 2011 - 7:59 PM

Quite a few reasonably cheap hotels near the railway station and Rome is small enough to walk everywhere if you're of average fitness. Get to the Colosseum early or massive queues, but well worth the visit.

chrrab
chrrab  3 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2011 - 8:04 PM

I went for Day trip when on a cruise, you can walk to vatican and all attractions from there, also you can get the open top bus its cheap and you can get off and on when you like with the single ticket.

Last Modified By chrrab at 30 Jun 2011 - 8:06 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 8:16 PM

It was during my uni days (at least 8 years ago), Dave, we stayed in sort of youth hostel type of thing. Don't think your gf would appreciate that..Smile
Aye, Rome is the worst I have experienced regarding pick pocket, and I have been to quite a few european cities. And they are really quick and pro.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014403 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 9:14 PM

Oh yes! They won't let you into the Vatican with shorts on, or women with bare shoulders. Must arouse the locals.Wink

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jun 2011 - 10:34 PM

For Hotels try Venere.com
Just out of interest, how are you travelling there?

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315546 forum posts England
30 Jun 2011 - 10:38 PM

We stayed in Rome for a week - had an apartment on Piazza Colonna right opposite the Prime Minister's residence (got into trouble with my camera there, but that's another story Smile ). Everywhere can be walked quite easily, if you walk on the roads, because the ignorant locals take up the entire pavement.

Top tip - if you want to go to the Colosseum, go to the Palatino first (it's the hill to the south of the Forum). There is never a queue there, but the same ticket will get you into the Colosseum, so you won't need to queue there Smile Let us know if you want advice on places to visit (to be honest, just walk around and you come across tons of stuff).

PhillipMinnis

We were there in January 2009 for five days.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza St Peter's, which is just out of the city centre.

The good thing about the hotel is that it had a free shuttle bus, which departed from, and returned to, the hotel every hour, until about 10.00pm each night. We hopped on the bus at about 9.30am each morning, and it took us right into the city centre. From there, we walked to all the major tourist attractions....the Colosseum, St Peter's, the Sistine Chapel, the Spanish Steps, the Roman Forum, the Pantheon, the main shopping district, and much more! We spent about half a day just walking along the banks of the Tiber River. The hotel is very comfortable...I think it's 4.5 stars, and at that time of the year it was very cheap....about 100 Euros per night. I would thoroughly recommend it!

redhed17
redhed17  8635 forum posts England
2 Jul 2011 - 12:40 AM

I'm off to Rome in a few weeks for my 3rd visit. Smile I'm staying in a small apartment that I stayed in last time. It is very cheap, small, but very good quality. Obviously it's not a hotel if you want that experience, but after many many hours of searching, I think it's a good one. Wink

I go on my own taking pictures, so I don't have to worry about expensive places to eat. Wink It is easy to walk around the historic centre, but I always get a travel ticket wherever I go, just in case you've had enough of walking and you're on the wrong side of the city. Which I usually am. Grin

I love the Pantheon, and it is the first place I go when I get there, and where I visit often while I'm there. I'm still trying to get a pic I'm really happy with. Grin I was a bit disappointed with the Colosseum, but liked the Palatine Hill, and as has been mentioned, a ticket gets you in to both. I think the ticket may last two days, so visit one then the other. Wink

I wouldn't worry about buying water as there water fountains all over the place. If you're buying soft drinks, or anything for that matter, find a supermarket as it's many times cheaper than any tourist shop.

The Vatican Museum is worth a visit, though put a few hours aside. The Castel Sant'Angelo is worth a look, mainly because of the design of the building, and the excellent views from the top, I didn't think there was that much to see on show, and you're not allowed to take pics in the rooms, or of the exhibits. Good pics from the top though over the city, and particularly towards the Vatican.

Go to the bridge in front of the Castel Sant'Angelo around sunset at that time of year to see the Starlings getting ready to roost for the night. Put 'Starlings in Rome' into a Google video search to see what I mean. Wink I nearly missed it because I was taking a pic of the Vatican at sunset from the bridge and facing the wrong way. lol

As far as pickpockets go, be as careful as you would be in any big city. You get warnings about every big city in Europe, and people probably get the same warnings about London.

discreetphoton
6 Jul 2011 - 8:24 AM

Thank you everybody. Please keep them coming Smile

Tonyd3
Tonyd3  101009 forum posts United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jul 2011 - 10:13 AM

Give these two websites a try Alpharooms.com and Bookings.com i have used both and always been happy with the places i have been too.

I stayed at the Hotel Donna Camilla Savelli last October which is a converted 17th century monastey in the Trastevere area easy walking distance to the sites, food in that area in not two bad and you can get most types of food and party till the early morning if you want too.

Hotel prices in Rome go up at the weekend (like most popular tourist citys) so be aware if booking hotels, it could cost you big time just to add a Saturday or Sunday night.
Just checked this on bookings.com from tonight the above hotel is 515.55 for the next 3 nights add another night it goes up to 1827 bit of a difference for one extra night i think!

Sites to see, well they are more or less within walking distance so just set off from the hotel and get yourself lost its the best way to enjoy Rome,and you will see all the sites no problem.
They are all sign posted, our fav places were Spanish Steps (there is a coffee shop to its right around the corner as you approach go up stairs the view is superb, prices were not to bad for a coffee here, Trevi Fountain, The many bridges over the river, St Peters squ, Piazza Navona which has the fountain of four rivers and many artists selling paintings, this is one of the locations used on the current Barclay card ad too, we spent about two hours here.

Did not get to the Vatican but will go next time im there.

Dont be lulled by children offering you anything like roses these are pikies, an adult will suddenly appear asking for money and they dont let go saw this happen many times, also the gladiators if you ask to take there picture they will gladly let you but then demand payment so dont do it.

Nearly all the streets in Rome are cobbled so you will need good walking shoes, you will not complain about the roads in the uk when you get home if that gives you any idea how bad they can be.

Again prices are high for drinks so use the tips above, two halfs of beer 24 euros were the highest we paid in rome quick tip dont eat the crips or nuts they charge highly for them!!!!.

You will love Rome and want to go back in the future thats for sure, but just remeber it was not built in a day.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.