Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going to test the 41mp Nokia PureView 808

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
22 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

I'm off to try the Nokia PureView 808 with Nokia - with 41mp sensor and Carl Zeiss lens - if you have any questions please let me know,

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nokia-pureview-808-announced-with-41-megapixel...

Thanks

Josh

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Christographer_Hull

Nikon or Nokia? Tongue

joshwa
22 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Ooops Nokia Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Clearly the 'lossless' digital zoom is the primary attraction of the camera on this phone. So perhaps that aspect should come under detailed scrutiny, both for stills and video?

I assume, when the zoom is not being used, you have the benefit of full 41Mp images. Maybe compare the phone to its nearest competitor - the Nikon D800. Lol! Wink

joshwa
22 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

^ If only I had one Smile

There is a video here shot with the 808 as well as additional sample photos
http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/05/21/making-the-nokia-808-pureview-%E2%80%9...

joshwa
22 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

This video does a good job of explaining how they use the 41mp sensor and what options and controls are available on the phone such as ISO, WB, Exposure compensation etc.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139466 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Interesting vid. It sounds to me that the device uses pixel binning to reduce the (unzoomed) photo to 9Mp. But perhaps you could check that, Josh.

Maybe you could ask Nokia why they stuck with Symbian for this phone when they have already gone over to MS for other phones?

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 2:53 PM

Some questions I'd like to throw at Nokia

- Is there real long term support for Symbian, is there solid app development still going on for Symbian by 3rd parties?
- Will there be an option to upgrade it to Windows mobile at a later date? If so, will they port over/re-develop the camera interface (which does look quite nice).
- Do Nokia really believe that 41MP is going to be a real advantage over there competitors mobile cameras which mostly come in around 8-12MP, is 'loss-less zoom' something that people have craved on there mobile phones, or was this more about getting headlines and helping raise Nokia's profile given there current position in the smartphone market?
- Is a lens that small actually able to handle 41MP or does it out resolve it? A lot of the official sample images I've seen so far don't have very good fine detail when viewed at 100%, even the images that have been downed to 5-8MP haven't fared too well.

Carabosse
22 May 2012 - 3:27 PM

Also, what about the physical handling of the phone when used as a camera?

This is the problem I find with the N8. Whilst I like its curves from both an aesthetic point of view and also from a comfort aspect, i.e. when put in a shirt pocket, it is a slippery customer when it comes to using as a camera.

joshwa
28 May 2012 - 9:35 AM

Quote: Interesting vid. It sounds to me that the device uses pixel binning to reduce the (unzoomed) photo to 9Mp. But perhaps you could check that, Josh.

Maybe you could ask Nokia why they stuck with Symbian for this phone when they have already gone over to MS for other phones?

Nokia said that they are going to introduce PureView technology into future Windows phones, but whether they'll use the same 41mp sensor / lens combination is doubtful, as they are likely to want to have a slimmer profile.

joshwa
28 May 2012 - 9:35 AM

Quote: Also, what about the physical handling of the phone when used as a camera?

This is the problem I find with the N8. Whilst I like its curves from both an aesthetic point of view and also from a comfort aspect, i.e. when put in a shirt pocket, it is a slippery customer when it comes to using as a camera.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nokia-pureview-808-41mp-first-impressions-revi...
As a Nokia N8 user, I would happily go over to the 808, however I will miss the metal body of the N8.

joshwa
28 May 2012 - 9:41 AM

Quote: Some questions I'd like to throw at Nokia

- Is there real long term support for Symbian, is there solid app development still going on for Symbian by 3rd parties?

Nokia are supporting Symbian till 2017, however whether 3rd parties support it or not is another matter. For example there is a new BA app that lets you book online, and it will send your boarding pass to your phone, the phones this is available for are: iPhone, Android, and Windows phone.

Quote: - Will there be an option to upgrade it to Windows mobile at a later date? If so, will they port over/re-develop the camera interface (which does look quite nice).

This was answered with a firm "No." the hardware/software is too customised.

Quote: - Do Nokia really believe that 41MP is going to be a real advantage over there competitors mobile cameras which mostly come in around 8-12MP, is 'loss-less zoom' something that people have craved on there mobile phones, or was this more about getting headlines and helping raise Nokia's profile given there current position in the smartphone market?

There are a lot of benefits to the technology, and the larger the resolution, the better the benefits available, such as lossless zoom, low light/noise benefits. We've gone into details here:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nokia-pureview-808-41mp-first-impressions-revi... Future PureView devices may not have as many megapixels. But part of it will be headline grabbing I guess. But also, you can't really announce a 41 megapixel camera phone without it grabbing headlines Smile

Quote: - Is a lens that small actually able to handle 41MP or does it out resolve it? A lot of the official sample images I've seen so far don't have very good fine detail when viewed at 100%, even the images that have been downed to 5-8MP haven't fared too well.

Have a look at the samples and lens information: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/nokia-pureview-808-41mp-first-impressions-revi...

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2012 - 9:51 AM

I'm sure the must have's will want one, but you can ask Nokia why I would possibly want to change from my better quality lower pixel count DigiSLR?.........And just exactly how the hell I'd attach a 500mm lens to it if I were to waste my money on it?.......Which I won't be! Tongue

Ade???????

JJGEE
JJGEE  96311 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2012 - 9:57 AM

OK

is this now primarily a camera that can make mobile telephone calls ?

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

When are Canon gonna come up with a bluetooth function on their next release whereby I could make a call using a DigiSLR......It's real hassle to pull my smartphone out of my pocket when I carrying a great big lens and a tripod around.

A very tongue in cheek Ade.....Though it actually kinda makes sense Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.