Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Going to the Lakes next week - need ideas for THE best landscape/waterscape locat...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jul 2009 - 5:05 PM

I'm off to Ambleside next week for a couple of days,can anybody out there recommend where's best to shoot the best landscapes/waterscapes ? I'm after improving my PF with some good sunsets etc. Could do with some tips on getting the best exposures too. I've heard and read a lot about "hyperfocal distance" but not sure how you go about focussing then recomposing the shot. I've got a canon 400D, tripod,sigma 10-20mm and a canon 18-55mm,NGrads,ND4,ND8 and three types of warm filters available - which do I use and when ?
    PLease help !!!! Smile
    Jane

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 Jul 2009 - 5:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bazhutton
    bazhutton e2 Member 725 forum postsbazhutton vcard England
    11 Jul 2009 - 6:22 PM

Hi Jane

I do most of my photography within close proximity of Ambleside- feel free to check out my p/f for ideas of locations & composition. Like all locations, the better you get to know them the better your chances are of getting something you like.

My advice is go out with a plan to one location. Be prepared to spend a reasonable amount of time there & watch what happens with the light; water reflections may come & go etc etc. Aim to get one shot you are happy with. And be prepared to ditch all your plans if you see something better happening!

Looks like you have plenty of kit, but I wouldn't bother with warm filters & I do use a polariser, remote release & hot-shoe spirit level.

I always have a flask of coffee too!

Have a good time.

Baz

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Jul 2009 - 9:38 PM

if you see a bald guy doing the same thing that will probably be me, but more likely on Derwent water.

ill be using a 12-24mm lens on a tripod, probably a 3 stop nd grad .
    down somewhere near the water side looking for a good foreground lead in to the picture.

if you are using your 10-20 set f20 and manual focus on the foreground details, rocks in the water etc then press the depth of field preview button and it will show you what will be sharp. if the distance isnt sharp, tweak the focus a bit behind the foreground and try again with a small aperature on AV or aperature priority and over ride 0.7 ev underexposure on raw you should be ok. there is only about 1/4 turn on focus between front and back.

best tip is dont run off as the sun sets because the after glow can last ages and be better than the going down.

hope this helps
    Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 11 Jul 2009 - 9:40 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Jul 2009 - 1:07 PM

i never did get a sunset, how about you
    Phil

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.