Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

golden mean.

1 Aug 2009 7:40AM
i have been trying to understand the rule of golden mean. but i think it is more difficult than other rules of composition. Do you feel it? Do you have any experience using it? Can you share some experience or give some easy explanation about this rule or give a link?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard 9 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2009 8:10AM
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
1 Aug 2009 8:22AM
1 Aug 2009 10:33AM
ya i have already read both explanation and both are very much helpful. but i am still under some cloud and i think it could have been removed by more examples. can anybody give me some reference of his own or other's work in the pf with this rule of composition. i think it can remove the cloud.
4 Aug 2009 12:43AM
i understand exactly where you are coming from, ive spent a good while (3 days now) researching this subject, and i do try to apply it, any way i hope my explanation and examples chase your clouds, please follow this link, leave a post with your thoughts, it would be much appreciated
Paddy

http://realgraphics.wordpress.com/home/oac-the-art-of-photography/the-frame/project-13-the-golden-section/
4 Aug 2009 7:05AM

Quote:I understand exactly where you are coming from, ive spent a good while (3 days now) researching this subject, and i do try to apply it, any way i hope my explanation and examples chase your clouds, please follow this link, leave a post with your thoughts, it would be much appreciated
Paddy

http://realgraphics.wordpress.com/home/oac-the-art-of-photography/the-frame/project-13-the-golden-section/

really it is very much helpful and it removes all the cloud on my mind about that particular rule. thank you for your help. if we can not use the diagram on the camera unlike the grid for rule of third, can we find that diagram or create it at the photoshop?
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
4 Aug 2009 7:49AM
To be honest, the 'rules' are best learnt, internalised then forgotten. As the great photographer Edward Weston once said, 'consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk'.
User_Removed 7 2.2k 3 United Kingdom
4 Aug 2009 8:50AM
...but, knowing about composition rules can help in constructing a composition. The conceptual approach can sometimes fail but you can build a shot and knowing a little bit about what the minds seeks in an image can be useful.
4 Aug 2009 10:26AM
there is a link (in the golden section) on my blog it will take you to where i found the one that i used.
Hugeknot 9 1.2k 2 Iceland
4 Aug 2009 11:20AM
You have a very informative blog!
joolsb 10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
4 Aug 2009 11:47AM

Quote:...but, knowing about composition rules can help in constructing a composition. The conceptual approach can sometimes fail but you can build a shot and knowing a little bit about what the minds seeks in an image can be useful

Fair enough but it's much better to develop a sense that tells you when something 'feels' right and you don't get that by slavishly applying rules. It's much better to analyse lots of pictures (not just the ones here) to figure out why they work - or don't.

That way you can pick up a 'mix and match' approach to compositional techniques to pull out and use as appropriate.
4 Aug 2009 12:59PM
Hugenot, thank you very much, Joolsb, i totally agree with you, "develop a sense that tells you when something 'feels' right", in my honest opinion on the rule of thirds... it should be renamed to the "guide of thirds", because that's all they are... guides.
25 Oct 2009 8:18PM
1st up thanks for asking this question, it occurred to me the other day on the ride home that of course! the mean could be applied to composition. totally forgot until i was going through your portfolio (stunning.) and noticed the link to this topic. will start my study with the links provided here.

& yes 1 should instinctively know whats a good shot without having to think about it, but we all start out looking for the on switch, we end up being able to find it in the dark through practice, but practice we need! We've all plenty left to learn.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.