Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

golden mean.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    somnathchatterjee

i have been trying to understand the rule of golden mean. but i think it is more difficult than other rules of composition. Do you feel it? Do you have any experience using it? Can you share some experience or give some easy explanation about this rule or give a link?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Aug 2009 - 7:40 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Aug 2009 - 8:10 AM

Link

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Aug 2009 - 8:22 AM

And here Composition explained

somnathchatterjee

ya i have already read both explanation and both are very much helpful. but i am still under some cloud and i think it could have been removed by more examples. can anybody give me some reference of his own or other's work in the pf with this rule of composition. i think it can remove the cloud.

realgraphics
    4 Aug 2009 - 12:43 AM

i understand exactly where you are coming from, ive spent a good while (3 days now) researching this subject, and i do try to apply it, any way i hope my explanation and examples chase your clouds, please follow this link, leave a post with your thoughts, it would be much appreciated
    Paddy

http://realgraphics.wordpress.com/home/oac-the-art-of-photography/the-frame/proj...

somnathchatterjee

Quote: I understand exactly where you are coming from, ive spent a good while (3 days now) researching this subject, and i do try to apply it, any way i hope my explanation and examples chase your clouds, please follow this link, leave a post with your thoughts, it would be much appreciated
    Paddy

http://realgraphics.wordpress.com/home/oac-the-art-of-photography/the-frame/project-13-the-golden-section/

really it is very much helpful and it removes all the cloud on my mind about that particular rule. thank you for your help. if we can not use the diagram on the camera unlike the grid for rule of third, can we find that diagram or create it at the photoshop?

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Aug 2009 - 7:49 AM

To be honest, the 'rules' are best learnt, internalised then forgotten. As the great photographer Edward Weston once said, 'consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph is like consulting the law of gravity before going for a walk'.

User_Removed
    4 Aug 2009 - 8:50 AM

...but, knowing about composition rules can help in constructing a composition. The conceptual approach can sometimes fail but you can build a shot and knowing a little bit about what the minds seeks in an image can be useful.

realgraphics
    4 Aug 2009 - 10:26 AM

there is a link (in the golden section) on my blog it will take you to where i found the one that i used.

Hugeknot
    Hugeknot  91212 forum posts Iceland2 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Aug 2009 - 11:20 AM

You have a very informative blog!

joolsb
    joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Aug 2009 - 11:47 AM

Quote: ...but, knowing about composition rules can help in constructing a composition. The conceptual approach can sometimes fail but you can build a shot and knowing a little bit about what the minds seeks in an image can be useful

Fair enough but it's much better to develop a sense that tells you when something 'feels' right and you don't get that by slavishly applying rules. It's much better to analyse lots of pictures (not just the ones here) to figure out why they work - or don't.

That way you can pick up a 'mix and match' approach to compositional techniques to pull out and use as appropriate.

realgraphics
    4 Aug 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hugenot, thank you very much, Joolsb, i totally agree with you, "develop a sense that tells you when something 'feels' right", in my honest opinion on the rule of thirds... it should be renamed to the "guide of thirds", because that's all they are... guides.

PhoenixDrum
    25 Oct 2009 - 8:18 PM

1st up thanks for asking this question, it occurred to me the other day on the ride home that of course! the mean could be applied to composition. totally forgot until i was going through your portfolio (stunning.) and noticed the link to this topic. will start my study with the links provided here.

& yes 1 should instinctively know whats a good shot without having to think about it, but we all start out looking for the on switch, we end up being able to find it in the dark through practice, but practice we need! We've all plenty left to learn.

Last Modified By PhoenixDrum at 25 Oct 2009 - 8:18 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.