Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Golf Umbrella Holder for Tripod

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6691 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 1:57 PM

Can anyone recommend a golf umbrella holder to use on my tripod? I am off on a landscape photography masterclass with Tom Mackie in Keswick next week, courtesy of Amateur Photographer and the forecast is not looking too good. Would hate not to be able to make the most of the day.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Nov 2012 - 1:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 2:02 PM

lol wise thing to put on your camera gear, get a fishing umbrella with a spike in it and ram it into the ground.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 1 Nov 2012 - 2:04 PM
Spencer1966
1 Nov 2012 - 2:14 PM

dangerous I would say - one gust of wind and your equipment goes too?

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 2:20 PM

This sort of thing?

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5405~categoryid~149.html

I have seen something similar for fishermen:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=clamp%20on%20umbrella&clk_rvr_id=40586...

Is this to cover your camera in the rain while you take photos? If the camera is on the tripod I would have thought that any breeze would make it flap like a sail.

Last Modified By mikehit at 1 Nov 2012 - 2:21 PM
crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6691 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 2:33 PM

Seems this wasn't of my better ideas! How do others cope in the rain? The only other idea I can come up with is to pre-fit the remote control, completely cover the camera with the rain cover before setting off, put the camera on the tripod and then hold an umbrella over both myself and the camera/tripod, uncovering the lens at the last minute - would this work?

Last Modified By crookymonsta at 1 Nov 2012 - 2:35 PM
Andy_Cundell
1 Nov 2012 - 2:36 PM

If you use one of the umbrella that dont blow inside out, you should be fine!

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8979 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 2:37 PM

Yeah thats how I would work in the wet.

You can always try it attached to the tripod, at least when your sailing across the lake at Keswick Tom might get a shot or two to make a full page spread and front cover for the following months Amateur Photographer Mag...

Hehe

on a serious note I hope you get a break in the weather and have a great day..

Gareth

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 1 Nov 2012 - 2:42 PM
dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
1 Nov 2012 - 5:06 PM

Ive searched and found exactly what you need

camera-umbrella.jpg

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 5:14 PM

I went out out on Sunday in the rain with an umbrella. There was no wind so it would have been fine. There are things to be aware of though. If the subject is close (I was shooting fungi) The umbrella will shield all the light making the scene dark. Also if the umbrella has a colour ir will add a cast to the scene (again just close up) Ideally you would use a studio translucent umbrella which combines as a lovely diffuser. If you're shooting distant shots ignore the above and just watch out for wind. I saw a prototype strap system a few months ago where the umbrella attaches to a chest harness. That might work quite well.

crookymonsta
1 Nov 2012 - 5:27 PM

Love David's dcash29) solution!! Shooting lakes, waterfalls and caves, so light levels and colour casting shouldn't be a problem. Tom did say we would be using the Big Stopper to photograph in bad weather - seems he can predict the weather pretty well.

DerekL
DerekL e2 Member 9101 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 7:54 PM

Try one of these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001RTTB94/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1036...

Briwooly
Briwooly  8452 forum posts England5 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 9:48 PM

I got the one Derek recommended and a golf umbrella works fine but watch the wind

Brian ..................

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315202 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 11:46 PM

Quote: I went out out on Sunday in the rain with an umbrella. There was no wind so it would have been fine. There are things to be aware of though. If the subject is close (I was shooting fungi

Want to try my golfing brolly converter and bracket Pete.

Turns any golfing brolly into a weather proof strobist flash brolly Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
1 Nov 2012 - 11:53 PM

Quote: Want to try my golfing brolly converter and bracket Pete.

I just ordered one of those brackets linked to above Smile

How are you feeling anyway? Shouldn't you be resting or something

Last Modified By Pete at 1 Nov 2012 - 11:55 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315202 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2012 - 12:21 AM

I should be, but the nerve block has now warn off, shoulders now swollen to the size of a Mellon, utter agony and I`m strapped in a sling so sleeping in a bed tonight will not be easy, feeling pretty crap.

Here`s a couple of panels I knocked up, a light weight that scrunches up into a small coat pocket, the other is semi rigid, folds and slides in a cardboard tube.

Both are double sided gold/silver, both fit in seconds, the semi rigid version doubles up as a kind of tri reflector, great attached to a cheap music stand, they have other uses as well.

599-1249335152.jpg 599-1249335594.jpg

2-599-1248454506.jpg 2-599-1248454680.jpg

5-599-1248558495.jpg

But if you want to stay dry in a gale, get a fishing brolly, a little heavy but there tuff and some can be tilted and come with guide ropes and pegs.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.