Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Good bridge camera for air show

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

philstaff
philstaff  651 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Feb 2013 - 4:31 PM

Just wondering what might be a good bridge camera to use at an air show.

Regards Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Feb 2013 - 4:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
4 Feb 2013 - 4:52 PM

Hi Ian...are you sure that you would not be better sticking with what you know, I've taken some half decent air show shots with a 70-300 lens, at least a lot better than I could hope for with a bridge.
I tried a Fuji X-S1 and it was a nightmare Smile
.....Mike

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 9:02 PM

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/products/mecam-photos.htm

Smile Smile

To be honest I would have thought most would be a little to slow.

The X-S1 would probably be the best of the bunch.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Feb 2013 - 9:05 PM
philstaff
4 Feb 2013 - 10:32 PM

Quote: Hi Ian...are you sure that you would not be better sticking with what you know, I've taken some half decent air show shots with a 70-300 lens, at least a lot better than I could hope for with a bridge.
I tried a Fuji X-S1 and it was a nightmare Smile
.....Mike

Hi Mike when you say a nightmare do you mean it was just to slow to focus or was there more.

Regards Ian

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 10:45 PM

Its the only bridge camera I would be prepared to use.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

Review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/fujifilm-x-s1-the-first-100-days...

This is from an air show, its video only, but looks like it can keep up with focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYgEzmpAcOc

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Feb 2013 - 10:45 PM
MichaelMelb_AU
4 Feb 2013 - 11:05 PM

A number of bridge cameras may be used on airshow quite successfully. Quick focusing is not a paramount there - as there always is huge safety clearance between the viewers and the show itself. No real fast action therefore. What needed for taking images there is fast and long zoom, ability to handle excessively bright light and minimal lens glare. Ultimately I would support Fujifilm XS1, but Lumix FZ150/200 is not bad too. Samsung P510 has exceptionally long zoom, very sharp optics and OIS - but may be slow-ish with it's electronic zoom, however may be considered too. I would advise against Fujifilm HS30 though ( however I am a happy owner of the one). It's lens is too prone to glaring against bright sky. Newer tried it with airshow though , and think polariser could help. polariser filter would be advisable with XS1 too.
Have Fun!

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 4 Feb 2013 - 11:07 PM
Paul Morgan
4 Feb 2013 - 11:09 PM

The biggest advantages of the X-S1 would be its 2/3" sensor and its high grade lens Smile

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93501 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 - 7:54 PM

Quote: Hi Mike when you say a nightmare do you mean it was just to slow to focus or was there more

...Hi Ian ...maybe best ignore what I said...I didn't like it from the off.
It was the EVF ...I hated it straight away and did not give it a fair trial although it seemed to focus fast enough.
I decided I was happier with the SLR and the quality lenses I already had.
cheers....Mike

philstaff
5 Feb 2013 - 9:18 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys all comments most welcome.

ian

philstaff
6 Feb 2013 - 9:58 AM

Quote: Its the only bridge camera I would be prepared to use.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

Review

http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/fujifilm-x-s1-the-first-100-days...

This is from an air show, its video only, but looks like it can keep up with focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYgEzmpAcOc

That looks very good the camera seems to do a very good job of tracking the planes. Thank you for the link.

Regards Ian

philstaff
6 Feb 2013 - 11:04 AM

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-finepix-hs50-exr-announced-21034

Looking forward to seeing reports on the new model from Fuji may be worth waiting a while for this one.

regards Ian

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 12:51 PM

Quote: A number of bridge cameras may be used on airshow quite successfully. Quick focusing is not a paramount there - as there always is huge safety clearance between the viewers and the show itself. No real fast action therefore

Either you are standing a long way back or only going to airshows with biplanes and cargo aircraft. Fast focusing is absolutely vital, for acquiring focus and retaining focus as you track. Certainly for small (and fast) WWII Warbirds and modern jets. The need for better focusing speed and tracking was the only reason I switched from Pentax to Canon for my airshow work.

As to the question of buying a bridge camera for an air show. If you are looking at something as large and relatively expensive as a Fuji X-S1 and you are only planning on going to one or two airshows a year, I would also consider buying an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR and hiring a lens. Does depend on what you are going to use the camera for the rest (and majority) of the time.

For me a good view finder (optical or electronic) would be vital. Tracking at arms length will be difficult and if you want to use slow shutter speeds to get prop blur you want to minimise the amount of 'non tracking' motion as much as possible and keep the camera and lens pulled in tight to you.

Maybe just me, but when using a long lens I also find trying to pick out an aircraft at a reasonable distance and track it in using a screen at arms length is much harder than holding the camera up to my eye.

philstaff
6 Feb 2013 - 1:34 PM

Thanks Javam I have a Pentax Kr which I use with a Tamron 70/300 but found some of the photos I would have liked to get were just out of my range hence the thought of purchasing the bridge camera as a back up as well as a walk about.

regards Ian

Paul Morgan
6 Feb 2013 - 8:59 PM

At 399 I`d say that Fuji would be great value for money, it will sure end up having other uses, how much do 600mm equ dslr lenses cost these days, and there sure to be one heck of a bit bigger,

Quote: That looks very good the camera seems to do a very good job of tracking the planes

Its just a pity he left the IS switched on.

MichaelMelb_AU
6 Feb 2013 - 11:37 PM

Quote:
Either you are standing a long way back or only going to airshows with biplanes and cargo aircraft. Fast focusing is absolutely vital, for acquiring focus and retaining focus as you track. Certainly for small (and fast) WWII Warbirds and modern jets. The need for better focusing speed and tracking was the only reason I switched from Pentax to Canon for my airshow work.

As to the question of buying a bridge camera for an air show. If you are looking at something as large and relatively expensive as a Fuji X-S1 and you are only planning on going to one or two airshows a year, I would also consider buying an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR and hiring a lens. Does depend on what you are going to use the camera for the rest (and majority) of the time.

For me a good view finder (optical or electronic) would be vital. Tracking at arms length will be difficult and if you want to use slow shutter speeds to get prop blur you want to minimise the amount of 'non tracking' motion as much as possible and keep the camera and lens pulled in tight to you.

Maybe just me, but when using a long lens I also find trying to pick out an aircraft at a reasonable distance and track it in using a screen at arms length is much harder than holding the camera up to my eye.

Let's start with what - are we talking amateur or professional photography here? No doubt that a good DSLR ( not entry level stuff ridden with front-and-backfocus problems) with a nice 500mm lens will do the job much better. Not that I would recommend it to any amateur. Too expensive for not making the money on it. Other thing - being a professional means sacrificing part of the pleasure from the show to the love of work and the money. Lugging around 3 kilo camera (with the 500mm stabilized lens and maybe monopod) is not much fun at all. As for me - I just answered the question - what bridge camera would be good for the airshow.
Cheers!

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 6 Feb 2013 - 11:39 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.