Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Good deed for the day

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
21 Nov 2012 3:03PM
I heard a small tap on the window and looked out to see a small bird unconscious on its back, wings splayed out. I wasn't sure what it was. I gently picked it up (wearing garden glove to avoid scent) and held it. It has a hooked beak, not a bird I recognised. It started to come round so I put it in a bush and it managed to hang on. I left it for a few minutes and went back, to see it had transferred to a wooden bird table post. I decided to photograph it. One shot and off it went. In its healthier state I realised it was a tree creeper.

treecreeper-2.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 3:24PM
I have no idea what hit our window but he certainly wasn't a tree creeper. I assume/hope he recovered as there was no sign of him.

-dsc0359-2.jpg

NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
21 Nov 2012 3:25PM
Get some bird alerts then with luck the birds will not crash into the glass. To many birds are killed by crashing into glass, bird alerts work very well in helping the birds to avoid glass. You can buy them off the net or pop into any garden centre, they cost about 2.99 and they work a treat..........so make that your next good deed.........and save more lives into the bargain.......GrinGrinGrinGrin
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
21 Nov 2012 3:27PM
I've had those shapes before Malcolm...it's as thought the bird has just talced up before going for a fly Wink
Thanks Julia, will do.
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 3:35PM
Nice thought Julia. Unfortunately, this is France where anything that moves usually gets shot and I've yet to see a bird alert. In fact, I can't even get hold of bird feed Sad
To be honest this happened several years ago and we've not had one since so I don't think it's a serious problem.
robthecamman 3 1.4k United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 4:18PM
yes wide windows birds think are holes till colide with glass.its a good idea to hang something on the frame try to warn em off
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
21 Nov 2012 4:33PM
A Tree Creeper..........................you've actually held a Tree Creeper!!! (Brilliant photo by the way!) I've only ever seen them at a great distance as they hop up the trunk of a tree, searching for bugs.
Gaucho e2
12 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 4:35PM
You need a big window Karen Wink
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 4:51PM
I had a similar experience with a Goldfinch a few years back (posted the photo on here). I must admit to feeling a little guilty photographing it while it was too stunned to move. Grin
21 Nov 2012 4:52PM
Had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago with a juv. goldfinch. Managed to bring him round, sprayed him with water & then he flew away. Now I think he brings his friends and family round to see me as we have had about 40 or 50 recently in the garden1! Costs me a fortune in sunflower hearts! Excellent picture Pete!
KarenFB 8 4.4k 163 England
21 Nov 2012 4:52PM

Quote:You need a big window Karen

Yes, I suppose you're right.

I suppose having a ginger tom sat on the window cill (Taffy's favourite perch) tends to put them off too! Wink
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2012 4:53PM
Ours obviously have more expensive taste than yours, they will only come for Niger seeds!
21 Nov 2012 5:37PM

Quote:Ours obviously have more expensive taste than yours, they will only come for Niger seeds!

The one feeder has nyger seed in it but they do tend to ignore it and go for the sunflower hearts - hearts mind you - not seeds!!! Grin Grin
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Nov 2012 8:58PM
Nice one Pete, We have had several similar situations, Nothing as exotic as a Tree Creeper, Just a Great Tit and a Robin ( Not at the same time ) The accidents with the windows seem to happen about the same time as a " Sparrowhawk " flashes past the garden area......!

I wonder why.....Smile

That said the Sparrowhawk has glanced of the windows occasionally, So hungry I guess they take a few risks, The Hawks seem to fly of as if its a normal day at the office....

Our Puddy tats are not that interested in birds, Thankfully, Once they learned that cats can't fly, They gave up the chase.....Wink

Just bought a load of Highflyer wild bird feed, So we are gonna have some tubby specimens around here soon.....LOL....Grin

Quote:I have no idea what hit our window

Looks like the outline of a Sparrowhawk's wings......Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.