Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Good deed for the day

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 3:03 PM

I heard a small tap on the window and looked out to see a small bird unconscious on its back, wings splayed out. I wasn't sure what it was. I gently picked it up (wearing garden glove to avoid scent) and held it. It has a hooked beak, not a bird I recognised. It started to come round so I put it in a bush and it managed to hang on. I left it for a few minutes and went back, to see it had transferred to a wooden bird table post. I decided to photograph it. One shot and off it went. In its healthier state I realised it was a tree creeper.

treecreeper-2.jpg

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Nov 2012 - 3:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 3:24 PM

I have no idea what hit our window but he certainly wasn't a tree creeper. I assume/hope he recovered as there was no sign of him.

-dsc0359-2.jpg

NaturesHaven
    NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 3:25 PM

Get some bird alerts then with luck the birds will not crash into the glass. To many birds are killed by crashing into glass, bird alerts work very well in helping the birds to avoid glass. You can buy them off the net or pop into any garden centre, they cost about 2.99 and they work a treat..........so make that your next good deed.........and save more lives into the bargain.......GrinGrinGrinGrin

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 3:27 PM

I've had those shapes before Malcolm...it's as thought the bird has just talced up before going for a fly Wink
    Thanks Julia, will do.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 3:35 PM

Nice thought Julia. Unfortunately, this is France where anything that moves usually gets shot and I've yet to see a bird alert. In fact, I can't even get hold of bird feed Sad
    To be honest this happened several years ago and we've not had one since so I don't think it's a serious problem.

robthecamman
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:18 PM

yes wide windows birds think are holes till colide with glass.its a good idea to hang something on the frame try to warn em off

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:33 PM

A Tree Creeper..........................you've actually held a Tree Creeper!!! (Brilliant photo by the way!) I've only ever seen them at a great distance as they hop up the trunk of a tree, searching for bugs.

Gaucho
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:35 PM

You need a big window Karen Wink

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:51 PM

I had a similar experience with a Goldfinch a few years back (posted the photo on here). I must admit to feeling a little guilty photographing it while it was too stunned to move. Grin

Louise_Morris
    Louise_Morris e2 Member 42310 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:52 PM

Had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago with a juv. goldfinch. Managed to bring him round, sprayed him with water & then he flew away. Now I think he brings his friends and family round to see me as we have had about 40 or 50 recently in the garden1! Costs me a fortune in sunflower hearts! Excellent picture Pete!

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84271 forum postsKarenFB vcard England163 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:52 PM

Quote: You need a big window Karen

Yes, I suppose you're right.

I suppose having a ginger tom sat on the window cill (Taffy's favourite perch) tends to put them off too! Wink

Last Modified By KarenFB at 21 Nov 2012 - 4:53 PM
    digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 4:53 PM

Ours obviously have more expensive taste than yours, they will only come for Niger seeds!

Louise_Morris
    Louise_Morris e2 Member 42310 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
    21 Nov 2012 - 5:37 PM

Quote: Ours obviously have more expensive taste than yours, they will only come for Niger seeds!

The one feeder has nyger seed in it but they do tend to ignore it and go for the sunflower hearts - hearts mind you - not seeds!!! Grin Grin

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Nov 2012 - 8:58 PM

Nice one Pete, We have had several similar situations, Nothing as exotic as a Tree Creeper, Just a Great Tit and a Robin ( Not at the same time ) The accidents with the windows seem to happen about the same time as a " Sparrowhawk " flashes past the garden area......!

I wonder why.....Smile

That said the Sparrowhawk has glanced of the windows occasionally, So hungry I guess they take a few risks, The Hawks seem to fly of as if its a normal day at the office....

Our Puddy tats are not that interested in birds, Thankfully, Once they learned that cats can't fly, They gave up the chase.....Wink

Just bought a load of Highflyer wild bird feed, So we are gonna have some tubby specimens around here soon.....LOL....Grin

Quote: I have no idea what hit our window

Looks like the outline of a Sparrowhawk's wings......Sad

Last Modified By cameracat at 21 Nov 2012 - 9:02 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.