Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Good Lens for home studio portrait work

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

phil_j
phil_j e2 Member 8133 forum postsphil_j vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 1:01 PM

I am after some advice from people in the know.
I have just purchased a starter home studio lighting kit and am in the process of turning an under-used loft conversion into a space where I can start to take the numerous, family/friend/work colleague/pet portraits that I have been asked to take over the years.

Getting to grips with the mysteries of lighting, and the like, but just interested in what people consider to be the best lens for such work would be.
I have seen some say that a 50mm prime is best, whilst others a 70-200 would be better.
Interested to see your thoughts.

Many thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Feb 2013 - 1:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72148 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 1:33 PM

Hi Phil,
purely for durability I use 24-70 and 70-200, as they covers all focal lengths needed for portrait work, whether it's headshots or full length shots.
I have a 50mm prime, but it doesn't get used that much, even though it's a fine lens.

I came accross this article earlier today, which might be of some help with lighting set-ups also.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
puertouk
puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 2:20 PM

I agree with arhb, but you should use your 50mm prime more because they tend to be very good, with pin point sharpness. I would also add, go for an f 2.8.

paulcookphotography

Personally i prefer to use fixed focal lengths (35mm, 50mm and 85mm) in the majority of my studio based shoots.

They are generally more compact and lighter than some telephoto lenses, so on long sessions this can be a benefit. It also encourages you to move about a bit in the studio rather than being fixed to one spot and zooming. Moving will give you more flexibility in your shoots and let you discover angles you might not have noticed before

phil_j
phil_j e2 Member 8133 forum postsphil_j vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 2:37 PM

Thank you all, interesting posts.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3773 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 2:52 PM

A very important consideration is shooting distance. Shooting from too close, for example with a shorter lens, can make the subject's nose (and/or other features) appear too big due to perspective distortion.

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 21 Feb 2013 - 2:55 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62435 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
21 Feb 2013 - 5:23 PM

50-60mm is about right on a crop sensor and 85mm is "about right" on 24 x 36 format for natural portrait perspective.
Space in a loft is usually restricted so anything longer might be a problem for reasonable photographer to subject distance.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314953 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 6:59 PM

How can anyone recommend a lens without knowing the working space Smile

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 7:46 PM

Paul, I have to say well pointed out.
if it is a single garage I doubt very much a 70-200mm f2.8 lens would be the ideal lens, but I would advise 24-70mm f2.8 for the focal range especial good in tight spots if using a full frame camera.
35mm is not usually recognised as being a good portrait lens as it may distort the portrait which of course is not good, 50mm and up is considered a standard portrait lens and 50mm is what the human eye see's from what I hear.
AS Paul rightly pointed out depending on space is dependent on lens.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72148 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
21 Feb 2013 - 10:41 PM

I've done headshots in quite small spaces with the 70-200mm at 135ish(on a full frame),
which has helped to soften a 'creased' backdrop.
I wouldn't imaging that you will be restricting your portraits to the loft, if the client or friend wants a location portrait?

............................. Smile

Last Modified By arhb at 21 Feb 2013 - 10:42 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
keithh
keithh  1022797 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 10:23 AM

Well the standard lens that all portrait photographers on 35mm always had was an 85mm.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314953 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
22 Feb 2013 - 6:32 PM

Head shots in my attic would have to be with a fish eye, and that's after I`ve removed the water tank Smile

EOS_Snapper
22 Feb 2013 - 8:40 PM

You don't mention what camera your using?
It will be a huge help to understand this first as a crop factor of 1.6 (Canon APS-C) would make your 50mm lens an 80mm equivalent to that of a full frame camera (Canon CMOS).

phil_j
22 Feb 2013 - 10:23 PM

Nikon D7000

EOS_Snapper
23 Feb 2013 - 10:40 PM

The crop factor is 1.52x for the D7000 which would make a 50mm lens equivalent to a 76mm lens in full frame terms. Therefore I suggest a 24-85mm zoom lens. This would allow you some flexibility within confined work space.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.