Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Good or bad colour?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012607 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 7:43 AM

I've received alot more colourful CVs at work than normal with this years students all trying to find placements, some of the designs are very inspiring but the use of colour for these students is very well thought out, that would be the designers in them.

We had a client years ago that refused to have anything painted blue, she thought that would signify an alliance with a certain political party and she wouldnt want that! Grin

So colour can be good or bad, or maybe depends on the situation... what do you think?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2012 - 7:43 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3800 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 8:09 AM

I painted Red under a bed-Wink

Seriously though.

Colour is all a matter of perception and association as in the sample you gave, but that same perception may have been for grey if the writer had been colour blind.

It is a well proven fact that colours can have great effect on us emotionally and can be used to enhance foodstuffs, make certain waiting areas calm and receptive, whilst other colours are used psychologically to make us not want to stay long in certain areas.

Many experiments have been made where very familiar foodstuffs or drinks have been unaturally coloured, the dye or coloured lighting having no effect whatsoever on taste or food value, just on appearance.......but would you eat a bright green egg?

Also, Nature has evolved colours to be of advantage, bright ones being used as warning of poison content or stings to ward off predators, or subtle colours blending into camouflage as an aid in avoiding the same.

Colours are also used like scents as aids to courtship and mating including by us humans......

.......So YES.......there are good and bad colours.

Hobbo

mikehit
mikehit  56537 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 8:53 AM

In my line of work we do a lot of audit-style checking of data and use pens of different colours for specific cases - one of these was a green pen for us to make 'obvious changes' to the initial report filed by the doctor. I was responsible for a mentoring a trainee and it was immediately obvious he was all about status and image, so much so he was almost a caricature you see in comedy sketches. When we came to this issue about pen colours he was absolutely aghast at the fact that we used green and he steadfastly refused to ever use this green pen. It turns out that he had read somewhere that their was a correlation between people who use green ink and being gay and was definitely not gay... or so he said... and he did not want people to think he was gay.

He didn't last long.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8995 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 9:48 AM

so he got the boot for not being gay Tongue

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139496 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 11:27 AM

Hmm. Sounds like it was a "methinks the gentleman doth protest too much" situation! Wink

NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Sep 2012 - 4:02 PM

Shortly before I retired from Her Majesties Prison Service I was tasked with carrying out an investigation into a serious disturbance at a young offenders institute.
As you can imagine being a government department all and sundrie were tasked with providing me with reports, action plans etc etc.

Interestingly the psychology dept blaimed the entire incident on the senior governor of the prison for having the walls of the corridors and communial areas painted a bright yellow.
This action according to the "Head Shrink" led directly to an inbalance of their young brains capability to identify with pro social modelling.
The pyschos (the staff not the prisoners) regarded yellow as an agressive colour.

So when "she indoors" suggests you paint the kitchen yellow be prepared to DUCK.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 4:08 PM

Quote: So colour can be good or bad, or maybe depends on the situation... what do you think?

I`ve seen the effects colours can play on people suffering from dementia, the effects can be quite startling.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 4:10 PM

I am from an older generation so if I were the Personell Manager I would prefer C.V.' s to be on white paper with black ink, preferable handwritten and legible ! !

However, for a "creative" ( whatever that is ) type industry I suppose fancy C.V.'s would be more appropriate.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139496 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 4:57 PM

Having seen many (far too many!) CVs in my time, I would want to see black type on white paper. Use of colours would make me think they are trying to throw me off the scent! Wink

JJGEE
JJGEE  96319 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 5:07 PM

Quote: Use of colours would make me think they are trying to throw me off the scent!

Wink

The coloured paper probably IS scented... Lavender perhaps ?

Carabosse
6 Sep 2012 - 5:32 PM

Quote: Lavender perhaps

"A touch of lavender" as they say? Quite possibly! Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315479 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 7:55 PM

Reminds me of a time a fair few years ago when a friend told me he wanted to get more in tune with nature and he was thinking of redecorating his house to help with this.

While he was away on a two week holiday we filled his bath with mushroom compost, scattered cress seed through out the whole of his downstairs carpets, we then popped in every other day to give the cress seed a good watering.

He later ended up painting his whole house in beige and off white colours Smile

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 8:58 PM

Quote: We had a client years ago that refused to have anything painted blue, she thought that would signify an alliance with a certain political party and she wouldnt want that!

several years ago my wife was working on some cross-border (north-south of Ireland) project work, and had to give a presentation and make a series of handouts. Between us and our different jobs we were well used with making presentation folders, stationery etc...

but I got an urgent call one afternoon to get down to the staioners before they closed to get a pack of yellow card.

The reason?? well, most people would realise re green or orange not being a good idea, but by similar, but more subtle, tokens, red and blue were also out, lest anyone be any way offended......yellow was apparently the ony colour that couldn't cause any offence to anyone..

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014152 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 9:29 PM

Quote: if I were the Personell Manager I would prefer C.V.' s to be on white paper with black ink, preferable handwritten and legible

Hadwritten!!!???? Blimey that is a sure fire sign of a nutter in the 21st century!
All the CVs we get ave usually been completely butchered by recruitment agencies anyway so whatever layout options they pick usually get lost.
I don't hold much store by CVs as most are full of lies anyway, which is fair enough as the employers usually lie about the job, so it all evens out Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225752 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2012 - 10:32 PM

Quote: ......yellow was apparently the ony colour that couldn't cause any offence to anyone..

David Cameron, perhaps? Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.