Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Good Printer for CD/DVD's?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chelle
    chelle  877 forum posts
    23 Mar 2012 - 3:53 AM

Hi all!

Just wondered what printer everyone uses to print directly onto CD/DVD's?

I'm looking for something reasonably priced and cheap to run and could really do with some opinions on which printers I should be looking at.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    23 Mar 2012 - 3:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pluffy
    pluffy  7128 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Mar 2012 - 8:17 AM

I use a Canon MG5250 which is an all in one unit which prints CD's great, but most of the Canon Pixma range will print on CD's.

Steve

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Metalhead
    Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Mar 2012 - 9:04 AM

Agree with above. I've got a Pixma iP4700 (I think the current model is iP4950 now) which cost 77 at the time.

Funnily enough I needed to print 100 CD-Rs for a tradeshow recently and the Canon was great. It's a little bit long winded as you have to slide in each disc separately but I'd imagine you have to do that with every printer.

All 100 discs printed with perfect alignment, by the way.

Only issue with the Canon is that it can be a bit thirsty on inks, but the results are worth it. There are cheap third party inks but I wouldn't recommend using them personally. A4 photo prints (borderless) are excellent quality too. I think Kodak advertise as being the cheapest on ink costs but I don't know their range of printers but I'd imagine they have CD printing facilities on some models.

BigRick
    BigRick  92085 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Mar 2012 - 12:55 PM

Get a LITESCRIBE drive, and use their discs..... Wink

thewilliam
    24 Mar 2012 - 5:32 PM

Check out the Epson P50. The cartridges seem to hold little more than a few drops of ink so we use a CISS.

chelle
    chelle  877 forum posts
    24 Mar 2012 - 6:42 PM

Thanks for the responses so far. I have been mainly looking at the Canon ip4950, and Lightsrcibe. I like the idea of Lightscribe more than the final outcome though so probably gonna go for the ip4950 instead as can get colour images onto the cd then.

Trouble is it looks like the Canon ip4950 is out of stock everywhere I look! Does anybody know where t get hold of one. Need it within the next few days if possible.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2012 - 6:57 PM

On a slightly different note, I've just very kindly been Given an Epson PX700W and very nice it too with quite stunning Photo prints, however it has the facility to print onto CD/DVD and I was wondering do I need special discs to be able to do that? Not having had a printer that will print onto CD/DVD's I haven't got a clue? Any recommendations?

Ade

darranl
    darranl  5318 forum posts England
    24 Mar 2012 - 7:01 PM

I have the PX720WD - also very happy with the prints but I do think it needs plain white disks to print on rather than normal discs - haven't obtained any yet to see how well they print.

thewilliam
    24 Mar 2012 - 8:53 PM

Before you buy into Lightscribe, time the process. You might find it a little tedious, especially if you're doing a lot.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    24 Mar 2012 - 9:18 PM

Quote: Before you buy into Lightscribe, time the process. You might find it a little tedious, especially if you're doing a lot.

Fully agree. The results are good but at about 20 minutes per disk, 'tedious' really sums it up. Printing with my Canon inkjet runs at about 2 minutes per disk.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2012 - 9:37 PM

Cheers Darren I've seen those about so I'll pick a few up next time I'm down in town......

Ade

chelle
    chelle  877 forum posts
    25 Mar 2012 - 12:51 AM

I didn't know Lightscribe took so long! I definitely don't want to wait so long for just one disc. So, looks like I'm going with the ip4950.

Thanks for the advice guys. Smile

chelle
    chelle  877 forum posts
    29 Mar 2012 - 12:07 AM

Well, I just wanted to say that I did go for the Canon ip4950 and I would really recommend it. It prints onto cds perfectly aligned. So happy! thanks for the advice guys. Smile

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61876 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Mar 2012 - 10:00 AM

Glad you found one in stock! I did look at the usual websites when you said you couldn't find any in stock, but to no avail. But glad you've got one now anyway.

Sylviwhalley
    Sylviwhalley e2 Member 797 forum postsSylviwhalley vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Apr 2012 - 5:15 PM

I use a Canon MG 5250, which is great, it will also direct print CDs DVDs from it's scanner. You have to use printable CDs DVDs which are a bit more expensive and harder to find, but give great results.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.