Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

good reasons?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    youmightlikethis
    youmightlikethis e2 Member 121015 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
    14 Feb 2014 - 8:03 PM

anybody tell me why I should buy an entry level pentax rather than canon Nikon or sony

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Feb 2014 - 8:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123136 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2014 - 8:09 PM

If you already have one of these versions then that may be reason enough?

Ken

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2014 - 8:18 PM

If you like it, and whether you prefer its feel.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2014 - 9:28 PM

You like having many and various camera brand models to play with Grin

Variety is the spice of life Wink

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72507 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    14 Feb 2014 - 10:16 PM

Nope...sorry...no idea why.....

joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4602 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    14 Feb 2014 - 10:51 PM

Pentax and Sony DSLRs feature in camera shake-reduction - so you get this feature with every lens attached. For Nikon and Canon image stabilisation is lens based so you can either get a lens with IS/VR or not.

Pentax are also Weather Resistant (WR) from the Pentax K-50 upwards (not the K-500), and a number of the kit lenses are also WR.

DerekL
    DerekL e2 Member 9107 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Feb 2014 - 11:01 PM

As a Canon user I can only advise that the S/H market for lenses is greater for Canon than other makes IMHO.
    As such, this makes entering into the realms of "proper" cameras much more feasible.
    All of the leading brands are capable of producing good quality photographs in the right hands.
    The important thing is to understand what you want to photograph and set yourself a budget to achieve your needs.
    However, you will find that the more that you get into photography, you will aspire to better and more expensive equipment.
    This doesn't mean that you will take better photographs, just that what you take will be as good as it can be.

petebfrance
    14 Feb 2014 - 11:41 PM

The points that would interest me, assuming you mean the K500 v a Nikon3x00 or 5x00 - (not sure about Sony), are:
    - pentaprism viewfinder
    - twin exposure dials (one front, one back) so apparently can be set up for exposure com etc. - worth looking into the external controls available for the comparison (I understand Sony Alpha - a58? - external controls are pretty good too).
    - other features. For example, the Nikon 3x00 don't have exposure bracketing, HDR etc whereas the Pentax does (I think it also micro-aligns the HDR pics). Would need to map these out and decide which ones were important.
    As far as I'm concerned it's the extra manual controls plus bracketing that would sell it to me if I were buying.....
    Also I think it can shoot nearly 6fps which doesn't really interest meTongue

But, there is some question about active autofocus point not being displayed in the viewfinder which seems somewhat odd to me and some reviews don't even mention (my latest Chasseur d'Images magazine recommends K500 as the best DSLR under 500 euros and doesn't even mention this as a negative......)

Tricky.

Offertonhatter
    23 Mar 2014 - 8:24 AM

I think there is one thing that appeals most about a Pentax DSLR over the other brands, is the interface. It is a camera that is actually designed for photographers. All the features and buttons that you need are readily available. No having to trawl through the menus to find them.

So with that in mind I could say the following:-
    Pentaprism with 100% view (no other entry level camera does)
    TAv mode - allowing you to set instantly the aperture and speed, the camera does the rest. Other cameras you have to set it to M, go into the menus and set the ISO to Auto. Come out of the menus and then shoot. If you then go to Av, on the Pentax it is instant and the ISO will be back to what you set before. The others, you will have to go back to the menus and switch the auto ISO off etc etc.
    Weather sealing. Barring the K500, they all have sealing, and of course a number of lenses are sealed too, including the kit lens.
    General quality feel of the body. It is leagues ahead of the 3 and 4 digit Canon's. Only the Nikons come close.
    Legacy lenses? Yes this has been mentioned many times before, but there are a lot of gems out there, and although there were never designed for digital, they work beautifully on DSLR's. the Takumar/SMC-K 55mm F1.8 is a case in point.
    The AF. Well this is an odd one. Yes it is slower than the others, but to be honest I have found it more accurate. So unless you want to be a sports photographer for the newspapers, and instead you are a normal photographer, you really will not notice.

kodachrome
    7 Apr 2014 - 9:10 AM

Legacy lenses is one reason I moved to Sony Alpha SLT [A37/57], All the Minolta and Konica Minolta A mount lenses work fine on the Sony bodies and most of my system is built round these lenses rather than Sony's own. I think every one has a right answer, and its down to how many boxes you need to tick. If you are interested in Nikon, be careful as the DX cameras will not focus legacy auto lenses as there is no focussing facility for the lenses on the DX bodies, there is on Nikon FX cameras.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.