Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Good shots you have done in a photo workshop?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2011 - 4:37 PM

Recently a few people have been posting shots done in a workshop, but taken by their own equipment.
    I find this really interesting to compare what the workshop’s offer to teach you against the shots you can actually achieve in these guided workshops.
    I’m not wanting to draw up bad experiences you might have had, just good ones; Not even looking for workshop names.
    (I know these sessions are often more about learning how to take the shot in future, and not necessarily on the day of the workshop)

Could/would you post some of you better shots (or links) to your photo’s done in workshops and maybe even describe what you got from the shoot.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Aug 2011 - 4:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Georden
    Georden  3 England
    26 Aug 2011 - 8:38 PM

I'm actually attending a workshop on Sunday - if it all works out I'll definitely post a couple of shots

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    29 Aug 2011 - 10:28 AM

How about good shots NOT done in Photoshop. Tongue

Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  5254 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2011 - 11:15 AM

Quote: How about good shots NOT done in Photoshop. Tongue

Workshop, not Photoshop Grin

macroman
    macroman  1115312 forum posts England
    29 Aug 2011 - 11:59 AM

OOoops!

My apologies.Grin

A combination of association of ideas and misreading the heading.

Just another senior moment. Grin

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96280 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2011 - 12:16 PM

I have attended a few workshops over the years.

The studio based / model type ones you usually end up with loads of excellent images.
    BUT, they have organised make-up artists for the models and, as part of the tutorial, set up the background / lights / reflectors / props etc. etc. so there is something wrong if you do not get some good shots ! !

Try hiring a studio / model etc. and doing it all yourself following the tips from the workshop and the results, for me anyway, were never anywhere so good Sad

So, I would say you do learn things and get good shots but subsequently putting it into practice is difficult.

As for general landscape type workshops I do not think they really teach you that much but perhaps they do jog / refresh your memory on certain things so perhaps overall you do not get better images than being on your own.

However, and this is a guess, Photoshop / Lightroom type workshops where you learn about Levels, Curves, Blending Modes, Masking, Soft Proofing etc. would be an area where one would get the most benefit / improvement in results.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 29 Aug 2011 - 12:19 PM
    DuncanDisorderly

How about this one?
    20110531-110613-img-6794.jpg

There are more images from the workshop in my Blog [link removed].
    Another photographer on the same workshop is putting her images up in her photo diary; she's an Austrian and has a totally different style to me. Her website is a bit strange, it unveils one new photo each day, the last 20 days (or more) are all the Knoydart workshop. Lovely images.

The workshop was a week in Knoydart with Colin Prior, taking us by boat to his favourite inaccessible parts of the West coast of Scotland. I felt I learned a lot. Partly by being immursed 24/7 with a group of like minded photographers and part by Colin's highly pertinent feedback.

I've done quite a few workshops and my 2p is as follows....
    You will get a lot more out of a workshop by being way out of your comfort zone; and the easiest way to achieve that is by travelling somewhere you don't already know with a group you have never met.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 29 Aug 2011 - 12:23 PM
    DuncanDisorderly

Quote: As for general landscape type workshops I do not think they really teach you that much but perhaps they do jog / refresh your memory on certain things so perhaps overall you do not get better images than being on your own.

I agree with JJGEE
    One day landscape workshops can be a VERY mixed bag - a lot of the real learning comes from reviewing the days images and seeing what other people found mixed with some feedback. You rarely get it while out on location.

I also agree with his point about the best landscape images not coming from the actual workshops.
    If you look at my Blog, I spent a second week in the same area as the workshop and feel I got far stronger images.
    Partly it was down to being able to work at my own pace, no group dynamics. But also my work was influenced by the workshop as I was totally in the zone and loving every minute.

Georden
    Georden  3 England
    30 Aug 2011 - 8:56 PM

Driving to the course at the weekend, I was really pleased to see blue skies & lovely white clouds. Of course, by the time we go to take photos, it was raining!dsc00765.jpg
    Still, a good day out with Andy all all the other attendees at Photobarn

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.