Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Goodbye Gadaffi?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 10:06 AM

Quote: Not so long ago our own PM (UK) was hugging Gaddafi.

Indeed - and not all that long ago both Saddam Hussain and Osama Bin Laden were also friends of the West.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Oct 2011 - 10:06 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 10:38 AM

Not sure why people seem so surprised, it has always happened. I doubt there has been a dictator for the last couple of hundred years that wasn't either originally welcomed by the west or got into power using weapons supplied by the west.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 10:44 AM

True - and there were those who even had hopes of Western dictators like Hitler and Mussolini.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 10:52 AM

yup Sad

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 92218 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 1:41 PM

I don't feel any particular reason to rejoice in Gaddafi's demise: He's only being replaced by the West with some stooge government that will kow tow to the US and other Western countries and do business on their terms. The needs of the Libyan people will be very much secondary to the need for profits for the western "War Machine".
Sorry to be so negative and pessimistic but I can't really see a positive outcome: and who cares about the countless civilians that have been killed by NATO.
Who cares that the threat by Gadaffi to massacre thousands of civilians with his airforce was actually Western propaganda...

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 1:43 PM

It was an appaling the way Gadaffi was paraded to his death, not yet too inspiring for the future.
I guess the Geneva convention on prisioners http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Geneva_Convention signed by Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in 22.05.1956 not apply.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92966 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 2:07 PM

Quote: I can't really see a positive outcome:

Nor can I.

The country is awash with weapons of all kinds, if you add to that the many different tribes that make up Libya I can see that a democratic government faces an awesome task.

keithh
keithh  1022556 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 2:48 PM

The Tribal angle means nothing to the young of Libya.

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  4707 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Oct 2011 - 5:05 PM

Quote: The country is awash with weapons of all kinds, if you add to that the many different tribes that make up Libya I can see that a democratic government faces an awesome task.

I don't expect any government to be close to 'democratic', whatever that means.

collywobles
21 Oct 2011 - 5:13 PM

Despite this tyrants end it would have been nice to have seen some civility towards Gadaffi and seen him put on trial.

In effect it turns out that the so called rebels were no different.

User_Removed
21 Oct 2011 - 5:56 PM

Yes, I agree, they should have been civilised and not sunk to his level. I guess though his death (rather than imprisonment) will mean his followers give up the fight sooner.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014200 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 8:24 PM

There's major change occurring in the Arab countries, but there's also change taking place in the west; in the US in particular. The reason, of course, is that with the present economic situation, people are just fed up with their governments spending Billions on wars in foreign lands, that don't seem to make one iota of positive change in anybody's lives, and finally, governments have to listen, or be thrown out. Huge changes are about to take place in the US, that will affect us all eventually. Canada has already been told that it is not exempt from the new US policy of Buy USA. The big manufacturing companies are already talking of returning offshore jobs to the US, and doing more of the manufacturing using US workers, which makes sense. I don't think the US will be seen meddling in other's affairs near as much as has been the norm. The US is not as dependent on foreign energy sources or raw materials as Europe, so I can see future interference in countries such as Libya being led by European nations and their militaries, rather than the US.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 21 Oct 2011 - 8:25 PM
Carabosse
21 Oct 2011 - 10:11 PM

Quote: I guess though his death (rather than imprisonment) will mean his followers give up the fight sooner.

Gadaffi losing his (arguably worthless) life may have saved many innocent lives, if it means the fighting stops.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 10:15 PM

I doubt very much if he would have answered the questions many wanted answering anyway. Its a chance for a new start lets give them hope in that at least.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87253 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
21 Oct 2011 - 10:24 PM

I have a couple of Gadaffi watches that Jack brought back from Libya.......ebay.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.