Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Goodbye Gadaffi?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102286 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2011 - 5:14 PM

Quote: It isn't he BBC it is the whole of the British (Western?) media in hock to the parliamentary lobby system - feed this one out and we will incldue you in early announcements of the next major announcements. The press have become too cosy with politicians.
This is an intriguing book, depressing and jaw-dropping at the same time:

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. However, I tend deliberately single out the BBC because unlike the rest of the media, they are supposed to be neutral and indeed sign a charter to endorse that. It's complicated: As I've said before, the BBC seems to be fairly neutral on many domestic issues - particularly non-political issues and I recognise that but when it comes to foreign affairs they just follow the party line - in other words, they are led by a bunch of overpaid sycophants.
Yes, Nick Davies is a decent and truthful journalist, but I think an equally good book is "Newspeak in the 21st Century" (Pluto Press) by /david Edwards and David Cromwell of Media Lens. As well as criticising the media in general, they rightly condemn the lack of neutrality of the BBC and its refusal to probe government propaganda.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 Oct 2011 - 5:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
24 Oct 2011 - 5:31 PM

I like to think the BBC should lead the way and given they are the most high-profile and (generally on a global scale) respected news organisations should be leading the way.

Thanks for the recommendations - I will have a look at those books.

Zatoichi
Zatoichi  5707 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Oct 2011 - 5:37 PM

Quote: I like to think the BBC should lead the way and given they are the most high-profile and (generally on a global scale) respected news organisations should be leading the way.

But that would involve investigative journalism.

mikehit
24 Oct 2011 - 5:48 PM

A scary thought, isn't it Smile
Proper staffing levels, decent wages, unfettered freedon to work properly. What will they think of next...?

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
25 Oct 2011 - 7:38 AM

what are we all talking about? HE GOT WHAT HE GAVE! and a sight quicker than most of his victims got!

(remember he was in power for 42 years! of terror, most of it against us, aiding the ira (with the usa! opps!) in arming them with bombs and guns)

I wonder if the politicians have all worked it out the end for them might be of a similar scenario? IF they carry on as they are?

Quote: But that would involve investigative journalism.

that'll be the news of the screws then?

mmmm, BUT I.... think only t. bear will be at his memorial service?

Last Modified By pabloisme at 25 Oct 2011 - 7:39 AM
Zatoichi
25 Oct 2011 - 10:28 AM

Quote: What are we all talking about? HE GOT WHAT HE GAVE! and a sight quicker than most of his victims got!

(remember he was in power for 42 years! of terror, most of it against us, aiding the ira (with the usa! opps!) in arming them with bombs and guns)

I wonder if the politicians have all worked it out the end for them might be of a similar scenario? IF they carry on as they are?

But that would involve investigative journalism. that'll be the news of the screws then?

mmmm, BUT I.... think only t. bear will be at his memorial service?

Not really sure what you're talking about.

mikehit
25 Oct 2011 - 10:43 AM

Is anyone...Wink

I think we need an e-version of the babelfish from the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

pabloisme
25 Oct 2011 - 1:54 PM

the thread is headed:..... Goodbye Gadaffi?

FYI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadaffi

read and (not enjoyable but FYI) digest IF you wish: some of the paras:

State-sponsored terrorism, note: it is well known HE FUNDED AND SUPPLIED the terrorists in NI the ira

Purification laws: this is a good one!

Libya's society became increasingly Islamic during Gaddafi's rule. His "purification laws" were put into effect in 1994, punishing theft by the amputation of limbs, and fornication and adultery by flogging. (not 100% sure IF we still do this here in the UK? but could be useful NO?)

so he's brown bread and one basket case that the world (except a few who may be worried that the same fate will visit them? or lawyers who are short of a few years, decades even of steady, ready money defending tyrants like him, then found guilty & the EU feeding him till he died?)

OH dont forget the NON COMBATANT photographers killed by his lunatic troops, or on his orders

mikehit
25 Oct 2011 - 2:00 PM

I think I understood that. Should I be worried? Wink

Zatoichi
25 Oct 2011 - 2:27 PM

Quote: State-sponsored terrorism, note: it is well known HE FUNDED AND SUPPLIED the terrorists in NI the ira

I don't doubt he was a tyrant. We also have our own. As for 'State sponsored terrorism', we and our allies have been doing that for a very long time. What is disgraceful (at the risk of repeating myself) is the nature of his death and how it was celebrated in our media. Neither did you hear much about the 'rebel' death squads, until now actually.

For a society that purports to be democratic with judicial systems yet celebrates murder is a little contradictory but, we're use to that.

pabloisme
25 Oct 2011 - 4:40 PM

Quote: I think I understood that. Should I be worried? Wink

YEP............

"grasshopper you will never learn if you do not listen to the old men!"

cought by a pi**ED off load of untrained militia, he gadaffi was lucky!

BTW................

when I was a lad and did my bit.....in aden, they the arabs, had a neat way of dealing with thieves (god even their politicians will be afraid very afraid)

bound, led into the square a camel and a stick..... head off onto stick which was inserted in the body by then tied to a camel which spitting and really pissed off (the camel!.....mikehit!) was led around the square, ps. it was really smelly!

working on that basis gadaffi had a quick exit!

Last Modified By pabloisme at 25 Oct 2011 - 4:42 PM
mikehit
25 Oct 2011 - 5:16 PM

I remember reading somewhere that in the empire days when Hong Kong was first being settled (invaded?) the Chinese drug smugglers moved to Hong Kong because if they were caught by the British they were merely hung. On the Chinese mainland they would be subject to the full horrific slow death that the Chinese law meted out.

I am now thinking of some very antisocial thoughts on how to reduce the crime rate....

Zatoichi
25 Oct 2011 - 5:43 PM

Quote: I am now thinking of some very antisocial thoughts on how to reduce the crime rate....

Depends on the definition of a crime! A woman caught driving a car in Saudi Arabia (and oh how we love those dictators) gets horse whipped.

Ultimately violence breeds violence.

thewilliam
25 Oct 2011 - 6:21 PM

There was a local case where the lawyer representing a serial burglar argued that imprisonment would be an abuse of the burglar's human rights because he suffered from OCD. To spend time in a prison would be unduly traumatic for the unfortunate offender.

The "sentence" was a community order, whatever that is. Bottom line is that the burglar is at liberty to steal again and the innocent continue to be at risk.

Is our system really better than Sharia Law?

Last Modified By thewilliam at 25 Oct 2011 - 6:24 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53581 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
25 Oct 2011 - 7:22 PM

Yes! Its better.
Stoning, disfigurement. Appeal.

Should we be harsher, yes!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.