Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Google Chrome

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    RogBrown
    RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2012 - 11:17 AM

Here's a funny thing. Been using Windows XP & Firefox for yonks. I switched on this morning & suddenly, out of the blue, Google Chrome has installed itself as my default browser with no help from me whatsoever. What's going on? This only appies to my PC - the laptop is fine.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Mar 2012 - 11:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson
    davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
    27 Mar 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi Rog,

I'm not calling you a liar, but it's highly unlikley that the software installed itself without someone on the computer allowing it to do so. What makes you think it has just installed it? If its a new desktop icon, it may be that you already had it and a recent update to Google Chrome has reinstated an icon on your desktop.

sometimes things like this are bundled with other software and if you don't check/uncheck the right boxes they get installed.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 27 Mar 2012 - 11:31 AM
    devlin
    devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2012 - 11:32 AM

Quote: sometimes things like this are bundled with other software and if you don't check/uncheck the right boxes they get installed.

That is the most probable reason....

RogBrown
    27 Mar 2012 - 11:52 AM

Quote: What makes you think it has just installed it? If its a new desktop icon, it may be that you already had it and a recent update to Google Chrome has reinstated an icon on your desktop.

Well it defo wasn't there yesterday. The only thing I've done since then is updated mt free version of Avast.

RogBrown
    27 Mar 2012 - 11:53 AM

Quote: What makes you think it has just installed it? If its a new desktop icon, it may be that you already had it and a recent update to Google Chrome has reinstated an icon on your desktop.

Well it defo wasn't there yesterday. The only thing I've done since then is updated my free version of Avast.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2012 - 12:06 PM

There's your answer, I just went from Avast V6 to 7 and Google is bundled in with it as an option......

You should be able to remove if you so wish using Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.......However I use Google myself and it works well, try it and see....

Ade

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 27 Mar 2012 - 12:11 PM
    RogBrown
    27 Mar 2012 - 12:55 PM

Cheers Ade. I didn't spot that. I'll leave it where it is & have a play. Although on a quick look, it doesn't appear to have tabs & can't see my bookmarks anywhere.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Mar 2012 - 1:01 PM

You'll have to have a play as it does have Tabs under the spanner icon in the top right Roger, it also has a import Bookmarks in the same place, hope this helps...

ade

Jestertheclown
    27 Mar 2012 - 1:53 PM

Chrome's a bit counter-intuitive until you get used to it.
    I tried to use/like it for years and have only recently been able to set it up to suit me.
    Once you've got it sorted out, it's pretty good. It's at least as fast, I think faster, than FF and there's also a choice of add-ons, Adblock Plus springs to mind, that you can instal.
    It's worth persevering with but as I say, it is a little confusing until you get it doing what you want it to.

RogBrown
    27 Mar 2012 - 3:42 PM

Thanks for help guys. Much appreciated.

MrGoatsmilk
    27 Mar 2012 - 8:49 PM

Also under the spanner icon then preferences you can choose to have the Home button always shown (in the shape of a little house), there is also the option to show the bookmarks bar. Have a look around the other areas under the spanner and you will see things such as Auto fill on or off, offer to save passwords. Even the option to translate pages into your own language that are not already.

A feature I find useful is being able to type in the address bar and it auto fills the web address as you type.

To open a new tab just click on the + icon next to the current open tab.

Plus you can add extensions onto the browser (apps), if you have an Android phone then try Chrome to Phone. Lets you send basically anything on a web page or the whole page to your phone.

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 27 Mar 2012 - 8:51 PM
    RogBrown
    27 Mar 2012 - 9:51 PM

Cheers MrG.

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Mar 2012 - 6:18 AM

If you go back to IE explorer from Chrome for any reason you might find hyperlinks in emails don't then work in Outlook

pabloisme
    pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
    28 Mar 2012 - 8:03 AM

change the default browser to what ever you are using

Pull down the Tools menu and select > Internet Options.

Select the >Programs tab.

Click the box next to "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" and click OK

it may be in control panel settings as well

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.