Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Google street view

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY e2 Member 51432 forum postsDOGSBODY vcard England30 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:01 PM

I found my house with my car outside but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take a trip up our road or any residential road for that matter.

I fully realise that it could be useful for viewing tourist areas but private roads seems a step too far to me. Perhaps people just get carried away with what they can do these days that they just do it regardless.

Last Modified By DOGSBODY at 12 Mar 2010 - 7:02 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Mar 2010 - 7:01 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:04 PM

Burglars probably find it handy - they can see what roads not to bother checking! Grin

jonah794
jonah794  41723 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:10 PM

Quote: Burglars probably find it handy - they can see what roads not to bother checking! Grin

yep!

User_Removed
12 Mar 2010 - 7:51 PM

Thankfully - both our cars are not in shot and the house seen as being fully secure...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214388 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 7:59 PM

Its not just number plates that have been smudged, they mapped our area as the kids were leaving school.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 8:49 PM

Quote: but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take a trip up our road or any residential road for that matter.

They could be thinking of buying a house in the area & want to know what the road is like.

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 9:19 PM

My grass needs cutting...Grin

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012491 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 9:31 PM

I took a trip down memory lane last night, having a gander at all the places I used to go in me yoof, looks better than I remember it mind Wink

PhotoKaren
12 Mar 2010 - 10:09 PM

They've not done my part of the road I live on. No burgulars checking out my house!
On google maps the full road isn't shown so when I put my postcode in it looks like I live in a grey field.
Looked at my old house and it was done whilst I was still living there.

Really strange to see where I've lived on the internet.

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY e2 Member 51432 forum postsDOGSBODY vcard England30 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 10:10 PM

Quote: They could be thinking of buying a house in the area & want to know what the road is like.

That is just about the weakest reason I can think of. Estate agents have pictures and they take you on viewings. A walk around an area you are interested in is going to be far more revealing than what Google offer.

LensYews
LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 10:16 PM

Quote: A walk around an area you are interested in is going to be far more revealing than what Google offer.

That's exactly what I've used it for so far. If you're like us an looking at a wide rural area, it does help narrow down choices by avoiding ones next to very busy roads, schools, airports, etc. So we don't have a 50 mile round trip to instantly dismiss something, just helps weed out the ones we wouldn't consider at all.

After all the estate agents job is to sell the property and their photos will only show the best aspects. Agree the visits/walk around are still necessary, just much easier on a shortlist.

cassiecat
cassiecat  539 forum posts England46 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 10:17 PM

had a look at our house, its pretty neat. wonder how many cars are in driveways they shouldnt be Wink lesley

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 10:18 PM

Quote: That is just about the weakest reason I can think of. Estate agents have pictures and they take you on viewings. A walk around an area you are interested in is going to be far more revealing than what Google offer.

Soryy you think it is a week reason, seems quite a good one to me. Yes you can visit an estate agent or take a walk, but all that takes time - I can easily eliminate places I am not interested in, in seconds, using street view.
Since it has gone live I have already used it to checkout the location of holiday cottages and it's quite revealing the difference between streetview & the carefully selected photos on the website.

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
12 Mar 2010 - 10:46 PM

Yes, if you do a 360 degree turn from many estate agents pictures you get a whole different story. So quite useful.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102180 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2010 - 10:58 PM

Me and Pijin1 made it onto google street view lol. And he snapped me so i snapped him Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.