Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Google street view

DOGSBODY e2
6 1.4k 30 England
12 Mar 2010 7:01PM
I found my house with my car outside but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take a trip up our road or any residential road for that matter.

I fully realise that it could be useful for viewing tourist areas but private roads seems a step too far to me. Perhaps people just get carried away with what they can do these days that they just do it regardless.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
12 Mar 2010 7:04PM
Burglars probably find it handy - they can see what roads not to bother checking! Grin
jonah794 e2
5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 7:10PM

Quote:Burglars probably find it handy - they can see what roads not to bother checking! Grin

yep!
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
12 Mar 2010 7:51PM
Thankfully - both our cars are not in shot and the house seen as being fully secure...
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
12 Mar 2010 7:59PM
Its not just number plates that have been smudged, they mapped our area as the kids were leaving school.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 8:49PM

Quote:but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to take a trip up our road or any residential road for that matter.

They could be thinking of buying a house in the area & want to know what the road is like.
KathyW e2
11 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
12 Mar 2010 9:19PM
My grass needs cutting...Grin
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 9:31PM
I took a trip down memory lane last night, having a gander at all the places I used to go in me yoof, looks better than I remember it mind Wink
PhotoKaren 5 26 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 10:09PM
They've not done my part of the road I live on. No burgulars checking out my house!
On google maps the full road isn't shown so when I put my postcode in it looks like I live in a grey field.
Looked at my old house and it was done whilst I was still living there.

Really strange to see where I've lived on the internet.
DOGSBODY e2
6 1.4k 30 England
12 Mar 2010 10:10PM

Quote:They could be thinking of buying a house in the area & want to know what the road is like.

That is just about the weakest reason I can think of. Estate agents have pictures and they take you on viewings. A walk around an area you are interested in is going to be far more revealing than what Google offer.
LensYews e2
6 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 10:16PM

Quote:A walk around an area you are interested in is going to be far more revealing than what Google offer.

That's exactly what I've used it for so far. If you're like us an looking at a wide rural area, it does help narrow down choices by avoiding ones next to very busy roads, schools, airports, etc. So we don't have a 50 mile round trip to instantly dismiss something, just helps weed out the ones we wouldn't consider at all.

After all the estate agents job is to sell the property and their photos will only show the best aspects. Agree the visits/walk around are still necessary, just much easier on a shortlist.
cassiecat e2
6 39 46 England
12 Mar 2010 10:17PM
had a look at our house, its pretty neat. wonder how many cars are in driveways they shouldnt be Wink lesley
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 10:18PM

Quote:That is just about the weakest reason I can think of. Estate agents have pictures and they take you on viewings. A walk around an area you are interested in is going to be far more revealing than what Google offer.

Soryy you think it is a week reason, seems quite a good one to me. Yes you can visit an estate agent or take a walk, but all that takes time - I can easily eliminate places I am not interested in, in seconds, using street view.
Since it has gone live I have already used it to checkout the location of holiday cottages and it's quite revealing the difference between streetview & the carefully selected photos on the website.
Bellie e2
8 507
12 Mar 2010 10:46PM
Yes, if you do a 360 degree turn from many estate agents pictures you get a whole different story. So quite useful.
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2010 10:58PM
Me and Pijin1 made it onto google street view lol. And he snapped me so i snapped him Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.