Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gore-tex Jacket

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:11 PM

Any recommendation on Gore-tex jacket that doesn't cost an earth? All I have seen are well over 100, which is rather extortionate for me.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Sep 2010 - 7:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:17 PM

Army surplus, 20. If you can live with the camo, just google DPM goretex jacket. Great for wildlife shooting Smile

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:20 PM

hmmmm....not sure if I can live with that... LOL
Good idea though...LOL

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:20 PM

I think you'll be hard pushed to find Goretex for under 100 Cole. You can easily pay 200, 300 and upwards for Goretex. You're obviously paying for the name and the 'supposed' breathability, which only works to a degree anyway and if that element is of primary importance then there are better options available, such as Event and Pro-Shell.

I use a Berghaus Goretex Paclite which cost 140, they do come up for around the 100 mark now and then. It's ideal if you want the lightest, smallest waterproof for occasional use, but it wouldn't be designed for day-in, day-out wearing and maximum durability.

If I want to stay bone dry, totally warm and cosy and 100% protected from all the elements then I wear a Deerhunter Montana 5 in 1 Jacket. It's within your budget and it's an outstanding jacket for 100 and so comfortable. I'd happily pay twice that. Of course, walking around looking like an Oak tree may not be your cup of tea TongueGrin

You could ask over on the Oudoors Magic forum for some suggestions or have a look at the list of retailers listed on their site, they often have sales on with plenty of good reductions on waterproof jackets.

Last Modified By justin c at 6 Sep 2010 - 7:30 PM
Snapper
Snapper  93750 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:21 PM

Does it have to be Goretex? You can get a North Face Resolve breathable jacket for a lot less than 100.

Last Modified By Snapper at 6 Sep 2010 - 7:22 PM
Coleslaw
6 Sep 2010 - 7:25 PM

No, doesn't have to be Gore-tex.
As long as it is really waterproof.
I have a couple which says waterproof. But if it rains slightly heavy, the water will soak through.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:29 PM

How about one of these for twenty quid?

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:29 PM

or as above army grade1 goretex camo jacket for 18.99. definatley on my bday list from the missus Grin

Coleslaw
6 Sep 2010 - 7:31 PM

hmmmm....not into uniform, Boyd...Wink
LOL

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:32 PM

You could go out as Cheryl Coleslaw.
Smile

justin c
justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:33 PM

Quote: I have a couple which says waterproof. But if it rains slightly heavy, the water will soak through.

Perhaps they just need re-proofing. You need a wash-in re-proofer such as THIS

Coleslaw
6 Sep 2010 - 7:33 PM

Is Cheryl a police woman? Smile

Coleslaw
6 Sep 2010 - 7:35 PM

Oh, ok..... MTV.....LOL

KathyW
KathyW  111793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2010 - 7:46 PM

Quote: I have a couple which says waterproof. But if it rains slightly heavy, the water will soak through.

Perhaps they just need re-proofing. You need a wash-in re-proofer such as THIS

The Nikwax is quite good, but I've found with the horse rugs that once you wash them, even if you re-proof them, they are never quite as waterproof again...
My favourite winter coat has a lovely covering of mud, horse grease, dog slobber, grass stains and cow poo, and this combination seems to have very good waterproofing qualities. It also repels all unwanted conversationalists when I'm out taking photos Smile

Coleslaw
6 Sep 2010 - 7:48 PM

hehehe.... no thank you...Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.