Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Gorman technique for conversion to B&W

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
TanyaH
TanyaH e2 Member 11497 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 9:55 AM

Have recently been reading about the 'Gorman technique' for converting to B&W, which is a luminosity-based conversion technique. Still getting my head round it a bit, but has anyone else used it? How did you find it? Is it any better than other techniques that you use?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Aug 2012 - 9:55 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker
14 Aug 2012 - 10:01 AM

I've never heard of this so I decided to google it to see what it's all about, but all I'm getting is a 404 error message. Can you provide a link TanyaH?

chavender
chavender e2 Member 3210 forum postschavender vcard France1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not heard of this Tanya,

It sounds interesting, I`ll do some reading.

Bill

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
14 Aug 2012 - 10:27 AM

This might be useful...

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82312 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 10:28 AM

Is this what you mean?

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7537 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 - 11:13 AM

I've tried it, it's very good (almost up to S. Efex Pro standard). Make an action of the steps in the process to save yourself a lot of time.

seahawk
seahawk e2 Member 7537 forum postsseahawk vcard United Kingdom
14 Aug 2012 - 11:16 AM

Just remembered, the action can be downloaded from here (http://www.atncentral.com/zip/gormanbw.zip)

TanyaH
TanyaH e2 Member 11497 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom40 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 11:35 AM

To be fair, I actually read about it the other night in a Black&White MAG book that I've recently bought from WHSmiths, not from the internet, and it was the first I've heard of it at all. But having googled it this morning, one of the links I found was the one that mdpontin pointed out above. However, it's also useful to have a pdf of the steps - thanks sherlob.

Having said that, I've also just downloaded the free 15-day trial of SilverEfexPro2 and am currently speechless ... (which, believe me, doesn't happen too often Grin). For those lucky enough to already have this bit of software, what a fantastic bit of kit!! But I suppose it's always the way with the hobby ... if you've got money to burn, then the range of equipment/software out there is a photographer's playground. No, the latest equipment/software/hardware doesn't equate to skill ... but there are definitely times when it makes it a damn sight simpler!

Mind you, it does beg the question of whether the software out there currently to do B&W conversions is so good that it eclipses the other, more 'pedestrian' and labour intensive, techniques for converting ...?

Tanya

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014785 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 12:42 PM

Just gone through the "recipe" and created an action for it - here's one I ran on Sam, with a bit of blue tint

Not bad actually - the High pass filter can get a little clunky

ovenden-wind-farm-sam-sax--134.jpg

TanyaH
14 Aug 2012 - 2:02 PM

I've just quickly tried it on one in my PF, but with a sepia type tint. Okay, the pic's probably not the best subject for this, but it's actually a really easy technique to follow Smile

preloved-gorman.jpg

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82312 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
14 Aug 2012 - 2:45 PM

Curiously, there is a difference to the 2 techniques posted. I note the last few steps on the technique I found are missing from the one posted by mdpontin. That said - I found these later points harder to follow and wondered if they were related to an earlier version of PS. Advice on this appreciated...

TanyaH
14 Aug 2012 - 3:02 PM

Sherlob - I'll look in my book tonight and try and relate the steps in the PDF technique posted by you above to the technique they describe in the article - if there's any difference, or other info/points, I'll post here tomorrow. I'll also post any other details/links that they might mention in the article.

Jestertheclown
14 Aug 2012 - 3:34 PM

Looks interesting.
I could find a use for this.

MikeA
MikeA  91168 forum posts England
14 Aug 2012 - 4:00 PM

You might want to take a look at this link also: http://georgedewolfe.com/perceptool.html

TanyaH
14 Aug 2012 - 4:00 PM

Quote: That said - I found these later points harder to follow and wondered if they were related to an earlier version of PS. Advice on this appreciated...

Sherlob - the bit that confused me was Step 16 and the 'Option' button ... I don't have one!! I'm on a PC, and assume that the Option button is for Macs? (I just held down the Alt key and hoped for the best Grin) However, Steps 20, 21 and 22 I did manage to do (I used CS5) - they're the two black/white slider doobries at the bottom of the Layer properties dialogue box - so don't think they relate to earlier versions of PS necessarily?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.