Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Got a tripod mount problem I need help with.

Consulo 10 815 10 Scotland
4 Dec 2012 1:43PM
Greeting fellow travellers!

I recently bought a new Mamiya RB67 body replace the one that I used to have. The mirror reset lever had become jammed and it was going to cost 100 to fix at my local camera shop, so I took a punt on ebay at a 50 replacement body and it's all good. Except...

The tripod socket on the bottom of the body is currently too big for the mount that I have for my current tripod head, a Manfrotto 460MG. I only discovered this the other day when out taking the new body through its paces and I was unable to mount it on my tripod. Luckily the light levels weren't too low, but this could be a future problem. Some pictures to illustrate:

mount--1-of-3-.jpg

Underside of the new Mamiya body

mount--2-of-3-.jpg

Underside of old Mamiya body

mount--3-of-3-.jpg

Current tripod tray mount

As you can see the thread on the new body (pic one) is larger than that on the old body (pic two). Using a ruler and rough numbers, the thread on pic one is about roughly 1cm wide and the thread on pic two roughly 0.6cm.

The screws for the mounts on the two bodies are very tight indeed and whilst this is reassuring whilst out in the field, they are a bugger to try and get off. I've tried and tried to unscrew them but they just won't give. I don't really fancy taking it to a camera shop and getting charged over the odds for a small job, so I think buying a new tray to fit the larger thread size may be a solution, and this is the thrust of my question.

Can I get an attachment similar to the one shown above for screwing in to the bottom of my camera that has a larger thread size that will fit a Manfrotto 460GM head? Are there attachments available that have different thread sizes to accommodate different attachments and, if they are available, where is a good place to look?

Cheers,
Michael.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Collier 8 236 2 England
4 Dec 2012 1:51PM
There are two sizes of tripod mount, and you can insert a thread reducer into the thread on your new body. Looking at the photos you seem to have one fitted to your original camera which can be removed with a suitable screwdriver. Failing that you could purchase a new one at a minimal cost.
4 Dec 2012 2:01PM
The old body looks like it has an adapter fitted to reduce the metric thread down to the 1/4 Whitworth, if you can unscrew this then you can put it in the new body. Otherwise look on Ebay for this adapter
Consulo 10 815 10 Scotland
4 Dec 2012 2:11PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've managed to remove the adapter in the old thread and I'll attach it to the new one.

Thanks once again.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.