Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Govement u-turn

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

chris.maddock
3 Feb 2013 - 5:41 PM

Quote: Not sure what killed it all off, the introduction of child benefit, cheap package holidays at Butlins or more mums entering the work place, I have no idea.

With the hop picking I think it was a combination of mechanisation and a reduction in the quantity of hops required by a brewing industry that had to adapt to changing tastes - if you can call a preference for lager a taste Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Feb 2013 - 5:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 6:00 PM

True but these farmers still need pickers.

keith selmes
3 Feb 2013 - 6:24 PM

Quote: much of our history has been excluded,

ask about hop picking instead of fruit picking and there's tons of historical information.

I wonder also if children would be allowed to do this work now ?

Searching variations of fruit picking holidays gets me some info on British history, plus current jobs available in the UK, holiday work in France, Australia and New Zealand, and pick your own in Rhode Island. Also a range of options for work when backpacking around europe and australia in your gap year. That's why there was also visa information. Most of it was about getting a visa for Oz.

So, the world moves on.

keith selmes
3 Feb 2013 - 6:26 PM

Quote: True but these farmers still need pickers.

Like this I suppose - 700 seasonal vacancies - http://www.pro-force.co.uk/fruit-picking-jobs.html

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314915 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2013 - 6:46 PM

Quote: I wonder also if children would be allowed to do this work now ?

No, not any more, I can remember having Saturday Jobs on building sites or working with a milkman, not allowed now.

Did you notice the working arrangements, totally useless if you out of work and on benefits, May, June & August, migrant workers here on Holiday love this kind of work.

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  91357 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 - 10:27 PM

Some facts surrounding the 'Bedroom Tax'

It is going to affect 1 million people
There aren't enough smaller properties for people to downsize to
If your have a son or daughter away fighting in Afghanistan, then you will be classed as under occupying and hit with the bedroom tax
If you share custody of your children with an ex partner, then you cant keep a bedroom for your kids to stay in without being hit by the bedroom tax
Children of the same sex are expected to share a bedroom up to the age of 16
Children up to the age of 10 are expected to share a bedroom regardless of sex
Foster carers are NOT exempt from the bedroom tax

The bedroom tax is not a welfare reform, its a welfare cut, Housing Benefit is also paid to those in work. Incidentally many will also be hit by Council Tax Benefit cuts

This is worth a read.

triumphv8
triumphv8  6450 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Feb 2013 - 10:56 PM

Quote: Because the terms of social housing tenancy contracts forbid sub letting.

i know but I didn't suggest sub-letting I suggested sharing with a friend (for free) - or legitimately claiming a portion of the HB as a share household.

Quote: social housing is allocated to the tenant based on need at the time,

So if their need has changed - change their house to a smaller one.

Quote: the problem has arisen due to the impossibility of accommodation through social housing with which to downsize once the required need for bedrooms changes, many people are stuck with an extra bedroom once say a child has grown up and moved out, or if a child moves to live with a parent who is not resident at the property, i e a divorced couple.

Already accepted that - so I've said share. -students share - many people starting in their career share - I still share regularly when working away.

Seems the Labour government also think sharing spare rooms is a good idea :-

Link

Any reason why this should only apply to homeowners - or are the low paid on benefits exempt from social responsibility ?

thewilliam
3 Feb 2013 - 11:18 PM

Content yourselves with the thought that folk on benefits outnumber the fat-cat bankers so there could be a pay-back in 2015.

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 1:14 AM

Quote: Because the terms of social housing tenancy contracts forbid sub letting.

i know but I didn't suggest sub-letting I suggested sharing with a friend (for free) - or legitimately claiming a portion of the HB as a share household.

social housing is allocated to the tenant based on need at the time,

So if their need has changed - change their house to a smaller one.

the problem has arisen due to the impossibility of accommodation through social housing with which to downsize once the required need for bedrooms changes, many people are stuck with an extra bedroom once say a child has grown up and moved out, or if a child moves to live with a parent who is not resident at the property, i e a divorced couple.

Already accepted that - so I've said share. -students share - many people starting in their career share - I still share regularly when working away.

Seems the Labour government also think sharing spare rooms is a good idea :-

Link

Any reason why this should only apply to homeowners - or are the low paid on benefits exempt from social responsibility ?

I don't think i made it very clear in my post, "Sharing with a friend for free " is not an option in social housing,
social housing landlords are not interested in motive or good natured ethical arrangements or even helping out a friend or stranger Sad
if you invite someone to live with you after you become a tenant who is not a partner, ( and if a partner moves in after a person has acquired a social housing tenancy they must be declared ) then for what ever reason you and I may call it, it social housing calls it Sub letting, and it is a breach of your tenancy agreement.
Originally these rules were in place to prevent over crowding of properties, and were a measure to stop people obtaining a tenancy based on need, then adding family members who in there own right not entitled to housing, so that they could then claim to be over crowded and required rehousing in a bigger property.
I don't know if you are aware but in many social housing areas you need written permission to own a dog or cat, and in most social housing you also need written permission to put up shelving or in any way alter the interior beyond that of decorating.
You ask "are the low paid on benefits exempt from social responsibility" no, but neither are the well paid.

Paul Morgan
4 Feb 2013 - 1:38 AM

Quote: So if their need has changed - change their house to a smaller one

How, tell me how, its not as easy as it looks.

Maybe it should apply to all, home owners included, some might then start to understand the situation.

Or bring back the window tax Smile

Paul Morgan
4 Feb 2013 - 2:27 AM

Quote: So if their need has changed - change their house to a smaller one

A family are living in a 3 bedroomed property, there rental is say 600 a month to a housing association, and there then forced to move to a 2 bedroomed property or loose benefit.

This housing association has no spare 2 bedroomed property's so there told to rent privately.

They get offered a 2 bedroomed house privately owned, the rent they will now have to pay is 1200 a month, they will also have to move 20 miles.

Both parents are out of work, the fathers only been out of work six months and he had been hoping to get back into work soon but it could be a year or so.

There given a choice, stay where there are and loose benefit or move to a smaller property with a rent increase of 100% with no chance of ever being able to afford to get out and work.

chris.maddock
4 Feb 2013 - 5:59 AM

Quote: Some facts surrounding the 'Bedroom Tax'

One more fact - it is NOT a tax.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 6:54 AM

since when have the facts got in the way of a good story Chris? Tongue

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014014 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 6:56 AM

Quote: Since when have the facts got in the way of a good story ? Tongue

or government policies Wink

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 4 Feb 2013 - 6:58 AM
brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110166 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2013 - 7:00 AM

Quote: Since when have the facts got in the way of a good story ? Tongue

or government policies Wink

Nah - they are the source of the stories, you don't get facts in government policies! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.