Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Govement u-turn

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 10:20 AM

Quote: There is an easy answer. Get a job and buy a house.

A lot of people want to but there aren't the jobs around. ANd a lot of those that are around are so badly paid that people couldn't afford to buy a house.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2013 - 10:20 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 10:28 AM

Quote: which are too big for them, give them up for more suitable accommodation

Err, because their arn't enough houses of that size for a start. Housing providers have been building 2 or 3 bedroom houses for years as they are much more flexible than single bed places.

Quote: I also doubt that the disabled who can prove adequately that they need larger houses, will suffer either.

Oh yes they will. A friend of mine who is disabled has had her house adapted for her needs. Now that her sons have moved away from home she is faced with either paying more or getting moved to a smaller place, which isn't available at the moment, miles from where she lives at the moment which means she won't have access to her current support network. Of course the council will have to pay to refit her new accommodation to suite her needs as well...

KevSB
KevSB  101390 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 11:05 AM

Quote: There is an easy answer. Get a job and buy a house.

Im sorry but that shows a total non understanding for the problems being faced in the workforce, Aside from employers discriminating against english peaple, Around where I live some companys employ nearly all eastern europiens and this is perfectly legal as there is no descrimination laws to stop them. Casuel work and temp contracts are the becoming the norm now with casuel employment lasting up to many years with very few rights, No bank will even consider someone for a morgage with no full time contract.
I have just finished a contract recently with 4 hours notice, How do you Plan for the future with that hanging over you.
All this legislation is fine when the resources like jobs and housing is availible but the fact is its not. We have thousend of builders unemployed which the goverment supports, I just wish they would use this wasted talent to rebuild the infrestructure. Thats what created the boom in the 50s.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 11:10 AM

Quote: Oh yes they will. A friend of mine who is disabled has had her house adapted for her needs. Now that her sons have moved away from home she is faced with either paying more or getting moved to a smaller place, which isn't available at the moment, miles from where she lives at the moment which means she won't have access to her current support network. Of course the council will have to pay to refit her new accommodation to suite her needs as well...

.... and having had her current house adapted for her needs it may not be suitable or appropriate for a new family. So the council will have to "de-adapt" it at further cost. Sad

KevSB
6 Feb 2013 - 11:11 AM

Quote: .... and having had her current house adapted to her needs it may not be suitable or appropriate for a new family. So the council will have to "de-adapt" it at further cost! Sad

It gets worse, Someone who leaves there 3 bedroom Social housing accomedation and moves into a privately rented 2 bedroom which cost twice as much is still entitled to claim that rent. as will thousend who are evicted unable to pay the bedroom tax, Will end up in B&B or private rented accomedation at far higher cost tottaly paid for.
Its all absolute madness

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 11:16 AM

Quote: Aside from employers discriminating against english peaple, Around where I live some companys employ nearly all eastern europiens and this is perfectly legal as there is no descrimination laws to stop them.

Yes there are because nationality is a basis for discrimination.
If English people do not apply (which is often the situation ) that is a different matter.

KevSB
6 Feb 2013 - 11:45 AM

Quote: Aside from employers discriminating against english peaple, Around where I live some companys employ nearly all eastern europiens and this is perfectly legal as there is no descrimination laws to stop them.
Yes there are because nationality is a basis for discrimination.
If English people do not apply (which is often the situation ) that is a different matter.

Nationality Is not relevent within the EC so nothing stops an employer hiring mostly other europien citizens, Thats my understanding. I may be wrong but he fact is These factorys do employ mainy foriegn nationals and ive never seen a case of dicrimination made against them. I recently went away and had to pop into a supermarket, the casheer, staff in the shop and customers was all talking Polish across me, for a second I did wonder if i was still in the uk. Not the fact everyone was polish but english was not being used by anyone.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45782 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 11:55 AM

Quote: Nationality Is not relevent within the EC

Yes it is (think of a company refusing to employ Poles, French or whoever and employ only English) and the fact no-one has brought a case does not mean it is legal. The problem (and cliche is often cliche for a reason) is that it is the E Europeans who are willing to do jobs that the locals dismiss as 'low paid'.

collywobles
6 Feb 2013 - 12:02 PM

Quote: And a lot of those that are around are so badly paid that people couldn't afford to buy a house.

Then do what most of us have done or are doing:-

Go get any job, work hard and do overtime when necessary and available, in the mean time either be ambitious and earn promotion OR whilst working in one job also be looking around for a better job with more pay!

Its all very well complaining there are no jobs or they are low paid - that in itself is a defeatist attitude although there is some truth in that. I've said this before I was brought up on a council estate and vowed neither I or my family would live on one - and through hard work, planning taking a few risks we dont. I always had huge ambitions of improving my lot which is what I have done, so listening to people complain about no jobs or low pay does nothing for me.

mikehit
6 Feb 2013 - 12:45 PM

I agree fully wth your sentiment, colly but the fact is that only so many people can get promotion so it is far from a solution. And the desire of my (our?) generation to work beyond normal retirement age to make us feel 'fulfilled' will only add to that problem when the lines or promotion get bottled up by the grey-haired who do not seem to be able to find 'fulfilment' outside of their job. The same people who bleat on about the younger generation having no motivation are the ones who seemingly can only function within a work environment whether they need the money or not.

collywobles
6 Feb 2013 - 2:51 PM

Quote: but the fact is that only so many people can get promotion so it is far from a solution.

Fully agree which is why I believe you need to have a positive attitude to life and to make the best out of what you can. Just read a lot of the comments in this forum, people complain about low pay, immigrants taking our jobs, no jobs, greedy landlords -------- and when the next forum comes along they will post the same complaints.

" While I am walking up the stairs, there will still be people on the ground floor waiting for the lift"

Colly 2013

mikehit
6 Feb 2013 - 3:16 PM

without wanting to spin off topic, my uncle is a great believer in Natoinal Service - the old 'teach them discipline and it will help them find a good job' to which my reply has been for some years 'Great. if you can point them in the direction of a good job'.
Yes, some will succeed but the vast majority will be left wondering why they bothered. As I say I agree completely with your principles, and I also don't like those who sit back, do nothing and just whinge. But the job market for most now is very much a case of waiting in line for an opportunity and that does not help you buy a house (in many cases it does not even give you enough for the rent) and positive attitude does not put food on the table. That is where the despondency comes in.

I agree with the thining behind the 'spare room' proposals but there are just too many holes in it. You can't force people totake a lodger. Suppose a houseowner claiming social benefits went to their bank and asked for approval to take in a lodger who is on social benefit and the bank said 'no'. The owner would lose benefit through no fault of their own. It is that lack of choice allied with the (what will be common) cases of incapacitated people who need the spare room for relatives/carer to stay temporarily.

Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 3:29 PM

Quote: As several people have pointed out, they can't because there isn't any available. I suspect the reason why the situation has arisen is because there is no money to provide the right accommodation, (e.g. build about 300,000 single person homes) and it has been easier, and may actually be cheaper, to leave it as is.

Err, because their arn't enough houses of that size for a start. Housing providers have been building 2 or 3 bedroom houses for years as they are much more flexible than single bed places.

Well then if there aren't enough houses in which to place those asked to move out of larger ones, it cannot happen so there is no problem.

Last Modified By Focus_Man at 6 Feb 2013 - 3:30 PM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 4:03 PM

Quote: Well then if there aren't enough houses in which to place those asked to move out of larger ones, it cannot happen so there is no problem.

Except they will have benefits removed because they are under occupying the property. Its a Catch 22 Wink

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214407 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2013 - 7:20 PM

Quote: There ar lots of jobs for "us Brits" we just refuse to do them

Some people have no idea Sad

Back in 2011 while out of work I applied for anything and everything, I eventually got offered a job, but I was then told it would be cash in hand, with no need to worry about tax or national insurance, at this point I changed my mind, I no longer wanted the job.

A month or so later several places got raided by the border Police.

Quote: Im sorry but that shows a total non understanding for the problems being faced in the workforce, Aside from employers discriminating against English people, Around where I live some company's employ nearly all eastern europiens and this is perfectly legal as there is no discrimination laws to stop them

I was from a manufactiuring and electrical engineering background, I got made redundant and I fancied a change, so I had a go at retail and hospitality.

I worked for a while managing a coffee shop, pretty much all the contracts were for part time staff, pretty much all my staff were fron eastern Europe.

I was one of three **** managers running a hotel and out of all the staff, there were no more than two or three of us that were from the uk, again most from came from Eastern Europe Sad

I read and here of company's laying of staff, then taking on the un-employed under schemes, a nice way of cutting staffing budgets and impoving proffits, those on these schemes get paid nothing.

Something like one million jobs have been taken from the UK workforce along with many affordable rental properties creating a housing shortage.

Something needs to be done, and done now.

Quote: There is an easy answer. Get a job and buy a house

Have you seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vDWUXUXD7Dk

The youtube link thingy is not working Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Feb 2013 - 7:21 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.