Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

GPS navigation - WARNING!!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
User_Removed
31 Dec 2005 - 2:32 AM

Aghhh! I've just got back from driving into central London. It's so quiet today - a joy Smile

There are millions of metered parking spaces to choose from - I even had change (bliss)...

...BUT! On the way back, I get stuck behind a Ford Focus..all is fine for five minutes until I begin to notice he's slowing down at every right of way junction and green light...it starts to get irritating...

...then, it twigs! He's got a GPS navigation boy-toy stuck to the middle of his windscreen. I mean, right in the middle! Not only that, he's pressing the goddam buttons every few seconds (whilst slowing down)...

...the worst! Edgeware Road. A straight road! And he's still slowing down at every green light, pressing the buttons, slowing down, pressing buttons all the way to St Johns Wood!

...at one point a black cab pulled up alongside and..well, lets just say I don't think he was wishing the 'driver' a Happy New Year!

..I need to go lay down. Does this mean that all these gadget Christmas presents will rear their heads during rush hour next week? He's in for a shock if he thinks he'll be using it then!

Happy New Year!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Dec 2005 - 2:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2005 - 2:42 AM

Get used to it - everybody will have one of these units soon. They even sell them in Argos!

The difference between fiddling with a standalone unit - usually mounted on the dash - and a built in one is that, with the former, your fiddling can be seen!

For a portable unit, middle of the screen and angled towards the driver is ideal and indeed ergonomically better than a built-in unit where you have to actually lower your gaze to see the screen.

Sat-nav can actually be a contribution to road safety used properly.... I have seen drivers with a road map across their steering wheels - doing 70mph+ !!

ala_fred
ala_fred  1062 forum posts United Kingdom
31 Dec 2005 - 2:44 AM

Was he slowing down between gears as well ?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013937 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2005 - 2:49 AM

I would have thought rush hour is the right time to be using one. The traffic moves so slowly there is plenty of time for fidlimg Smile

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
31 Dec 2005 - 3:00 AM

I thought the idea of these was that you told it where you wanted to go and it then led you there with instructions and told you off if you disobeyed it's commands.

Why would you have to keep pressing buttons in transit?

Think I'll stick to maps.

User_Removed
31 Dec 2005 - 3:04 AM

He was actually commiting an offence by having it on the windscreen. Big article in the papers the other day. The 'Boys in Blue' will be targeting these people in the coming year (apparently)... suits me - I sell and install the proper systems!!

User_Removed
31 Dec 2005 - 3:06 AM

Quote: I would have thought rush hour is the right time to be using one. The traffic moves so slowly there is plenty of time for fidlimg Smile

Good point!

Quote: For a portable unit, middle of the screen and angled towards the driver is ideal and indeed ergonomically better than a built-in unit where you have to actually lower your gaze to see the screen.

What!? How is this safe? How is this legal? It's in the middle of the blooming windscreen! How does this give a clear view - especially if you're looking at the thing too.

Quote: Was he slowing down between gears as well ?

No, he was stuck in 2nd - no need to slow down Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2005 - 3:12 AM

The great thing about sat-nav is that if you either accidentally or deliberately don't follow the instructions it 'recalculates' the route to guide you to your destination - and without even a hint of annoyance.

That is more than can be said for some human navigators I have had in the car! Wink

There are all sorts of reasons why you might press buttons (or often a touch-screen these days) including expanding or contracting the screen view. But really it is unsafe to do that while moving.... but the temptation is there!

Quote: It's in the middle of the blooming windscreen!

If it was literally in the middle of the screen that is daft. But sitting on the dashboard with the holder affixed to middle of the screen should not obscure anything.

chris.maddock
31 Dec 2005 - 3:22 AM

Quote: If it was literally in the middle of the screen that is daft. But sitting on the dashboard with the holder affixed to middle of the screen should not obscure anything.

Indeed - the suction cup and arm that came with mine meant that the screen would be obscuring part of my view, so I threw then away and mounted it on a dashboard vent. It's high enough that the built-in antenna can see the satelites but I can stil see the front of the bonnet over the top of the whole thing. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote: it 'recalculates' the route to guide you to your destination - and without even a hint of annoyance.
That is more than can be said for some human navigators I have had in the car! Wink

Hehe, the number of times I have gone out of my way to try and get mine to say "Oh go your own ****** way, then". No luck. If I was programming one, I'd be seriously tempted to have it say something like that after, say, the fourth wrong or missed turn Wink

KRs
Chris

User_Removed
31 Dec 2005 - 3:29 AM

Just as a post-script here...I'm not knocking these devices, the experience following this guy was, now I've had a cup of tea Wink ...quite amusing. I posted very tongue-in-cheek...but, and I must emphasise this...it WAS in the middle of the windscreen and he WAS a complete nightmare to be behind! I somehow suspect it had nothing to do with the GPS Wink

Carabosse
31 Dec 2005 - 3:34 AM

Also remember that some of these devices connect, via Bluetooth, to your mobile phone to give a 'hands free' set-up.

It is possible that he was fiddling with the unit for telephonic reasons rather than navigational ones... even less excusable if that was the case!

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108357 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
31 Dec 2005 - 3:46 AM

Well I have mine mounted on the lower right of the windscreen so it sits at the side of the instrument cluster pod.
Does not interfere with my view of the road at all.

As CB says, the guy may have been using it as a hands free kit.
I never have to fiddle with mine once the route is set, which I do before setting off.

Chances are the guy was just a dipstick playing with his new toy.
No doubt he will get fed up of it in time.

Doug ;o)

agoreira
agoreira  106001 forum posts Wales
31 Dec 2005 - 3:53 AM

As they come down in price, I have looked at them, but for the life of me, I can't justify having one! Wink 99% of the time, I know where I'm going, and how to get there. CB, tell me why I need one, and I'll buy one! Wink

photopharm
31 Dec 2005 - 4:03 AM

I love mine, I've had it over a year now, it is Tom Tom software uploaded onto my IPAQ.

I use a broken phone holder on the dash to hold it and it doesn't obscure the view. Also, the idea of them is that it tells you the route, so you don't have to look at it.

I have used it to drive straight through major cities (London, Leeds, Birmingham, Liverpool) and it has never let me down.

I reckon to have saved the cost of it in saved petrol over the year (so it's environmentally friendly too).

And yes, I also love the way it doesn't get irritated if I take the wrong route for any reason, it keeps calm at all times, and so helps to keep me calm.

Another benefit of it is that because it always tells you your ETA, you don't get anxious about being late.

Fan,big-time, that's me!

Happy New GPS Year all!

Pauline

User_Removed
31 Dec 2005 - 4:53 AM

Quote: Another benefit of it is that because it always tells you your ETA, you don't get anxious about being late.

..but..but..what if it's telling you your ETA is 30 minutes after you should have been there?! Wink

edit: the irony is that my ETA was signifcantly reduced after being stuck behind someone with one! Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.