Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

GPS4cam App

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Alan_Baseley
    Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Jan 2013 - 1:57 PM

I've just started using GPS4cam on an Android Tablet and have been having problems with the accuracy of some (not all) of the tagging and the tracks (gpx) that the app produces. I'm fairly confident that the problem is with the app and not the tablet as I've run My Tracks concurrently and the tracks it produces are very accurate (within 5/6yds).
    Does anyone else use this app and have they had problems with it?
    Alan

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    26 Jan 2013 - 1:57 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mdpontin
    mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
    27 Jan 2013 - 1:27 PM

I have the iOS version, but I've only used it a couple of times - keep forgetting to start it running until it's too late! I've not noticed any obvious problems with accuracy.

That said, one factor which can affect how accurately it can geotag your images is the frequency rate with which it's sampling it's location via GPS. The more frequent this is, the more likely there'll be a waypoint that closely corresponds to an individual image. It uses the one closest in time to when you took the photo, and that might introduce quite a large difference if there the closest waypoint (in terms of time) was taken, say, 10 minutes ago.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 27 Jan 2013 - 1:29 PM
    Alan_Baseley
    Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2013 - 2:06 PM

Quote: That said, one factor which can affect how accurately it can geotag your images is the frequency rate with which it's sampling it's location via GPS. The more frequent this is, the more likely there'll be a waypoint that closely corresponds to an individual image. It uses the one closest in time to when you took the photo, and that might introduce quite a large difference if there the closest waypoint (in terms of time) was taken, say, 10 minutes ago.

Hi Doug,

I'm using it on the precise setting, i.e it's taking a reading every 30 seconds,

Alan

mdpontin
    27 Jan 2013 - 5:01 PM

Hmm...okay, that's not the source of the problem then.

I just found a review of the app here: http://www.stephenschleicher.com/?p=610

Quote: During the second test, I changed the time to 30 seconds, and the results were better, but there were a few times that photos taken about a hundred feet apart ended up being about a half mile from each other in the metadata results.

He doesn't offer an opinion on the reason for this, but feels that that if you're taking photos in diverse locations, e.g. driving between locations, you're better to use manual mode to get a GPS fix, but that the automatic modes would work fine if you're taking multiple shots in a limited area, e.g. if you're on foot. I'm not sure that makes sense, given his comment about "photos taken about a hundred feet apart" being tagged as "being about half a mile from each other"!

If accuracy is important, it might be better to use some other method, such as taking a photo with your tablet (this is what I did before I got gps4cam - when I remembered!). That way, the photo taken with the mobile device will have the GPS metadata attached, which you can then copy to the photo(s) taken with your camera.

As I say, I've not used gps4cam much - maybe a couple of times - and so haven't noticed any significant accuracy problems, but I don't see much point in geotagging if the data is wildly inaccurate. If gps4cam can't deliver, hopefully there's another affordable solution, or maybe a future update will improve the situation.

Alan_Baseley
    27 Jan 2013 - 5:56 PM

Thanks Doug,
    I'll have a look at that. What you describe is what's happening to me and I'm doing it on foot.
    I've been in contact with the Apps author(?)/producer and he's trying to solve the problem,

Alan

mdpontin
    27 Jan 2013 - 9:11 PM

I hope he comes up with some answers, Alan. I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Smile

Alan_Baseley
    22 Feb 2013 - 4:50 PM

I've now used the app 3 or4 times and each time the gps track has been inaccurate for part of the walk. Last time I used it on a 2 hour walk the track had me about 80 miles from where I actually was.
    The developer appears to have lost all interest in the problem as he has not bothered to respond to my latest e-mail.
    I've found it easier to use the free MyTracks app loaded into Lightroom and then manually drag the images on to the track. It's quicker and more accurate.

Verdict on GPS4CAM--A waste of 1.99

Dave_Canon
    22 Feb 2013 - 7:41 PM

I have used Google's My Track which I am sure would be similar. Initially I had some accuracy issues but then realised that both my cameras had slightly the wrong time about a minute out in one case. Once I set the clocks in both cameras accurately, I had no more problems.

Dave

mdpontin
    22 Feb 2013 - 10:33 PM

Good point, Dave. I'm particularly bad at checking that the time is set correctly on my cameras.

As to the accuracy or otherwise of gps4cam, I still haven't had much opportunity to play with it. I hope to use it more extensively for a time and get a feel for how reliable it is in my experience.

I've used (briefly) one or two other apps which depend on frequent GPS polling to map routes, and those appeared to be acceptably accurate. gps4cam must surely operate through the same public APIs to the phone's hardware and so be capable of the same level of accuracy (or inaccuracy) of any other GPS-using app.

Sorry to hear about your experiences, Alan. I'll let you know how I get on - assuming I ever remember to use the app! Have you tried any other apps which are designed to fulfil the same function? No use to you, I realise, but I know there are several in the Apple App Store, some of them free, so presumably there are also some others available for Android.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 22 Feb 2013 - 10:37 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.