Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Grand Canyon area suggestions

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

paulstefan
18 Jan 2007 - 7:11 PM

Hi,
I'm off the the Grand Canyon in a few weeks (staying near the South Rim). I was hoping to stay at the bottom but all the lodges are booked so we may have a few days to spare.

Therefore, can anyone recommend anywhere else to go (preferably on the way to/from Vegas) for a bit of decent landscape photography or is anything else too far away to visit for a day or two?

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Ta, Paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jan 2007 - 7:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2007 - 8:24 PM

30 miles north of Vegas, just off the Interstate is the Valley of Fire. This is an absolutely fantastic sunset location. Page is around 2hrs away so you could do Antelope, Horseshoe Bend and Lake Powell and be back in time for dinner. They're both in the wrong direction, I know, but you won't regret the detour.

kaybee
kaybee  103830 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jan 2007 - 9:02 PM

The entire drive really.

Death Valley is surprisingly photogenic

PatrickSmith
18 Jan 2007 - 9:03 PM

Paul, you NEED to go to Sedona! I'm serious. The possibilities are endless there. It is also out of the way (2 hours from williams, 1 hour from Flagstaff) but well worth it. Be prepared to desaturate your shots when you get back!

Patrick

paulstefan
18 Jan 2007 - 10:00 PM

Thanks guys - much appreciated. I'll take a look at all these suggestions, espcially Patrick's Wink

Any other ideas anyone?

Thanks, Paul

Gary_Williams
18 Jan 2007 - 10:02 PM

Paul,

Zion NP is superb, itís 160 miles or so from Las Vegas, then thereís Bryce Ė a further 90 miles on. Itís on the way to Grand Canyon, if you go via the north rim. If you fancy heading the wrong way Iíd recommend Death Valley.

To be honest the landscape in that part of the world is stunning, canít agree with Patrick more, Sedona is superb.

Then thereís the Hoover Dam.

If you can get hold of Microsoft Streets & Trips (Autoroute for the US) itíll help you figure out your bearings.

Cheers,

Gary

PatrickSmith
18 Jan 2007 - 10:23 PM

I'll second Zion and Bryce, though they are on the north side of the canyon as Gary pointed out. Before EPZ, I went there and took a few hundred pictures. The shots were so bad that I joined EPZ to figure out what I did wrong! I couldn't believe that with such great scenery the shots could be so bad!
Patrick

joolsb
19 Jan 2007 - 7:39 AM

Actually, I'd forget the GC and go to some of the other suggestions. I thought the Big One was a bit of a let-down after two weeks of Bryce, Zion, Coyote Buttes (there's another suggestion if you can get a permit (you need to go to the BLM office in Kanab at this time of year)), Antelope, Monument Valley et al.... I'm already itching to go back.

mark2uk
mark2uk  8739 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2007 - 8:56 AM

Never made it up to Bryce or Zion but have been told they are well worth the trek.
South rim of the Grand canyon for either sunset or sunrise or even both is an amazing sight. I took a few hundred pictures there and of the wildlife in the park away from the canyon itself.

Mark

Edit : I forgot about Mt Whitney !! I love this area and this time of year you should be able to drive up to the snow line for some fantastic shots.

Gary_Williams
19 Jan 2007 - 11:02 AM

Paul,

One further thing, if you are visiting multiple National Parks, or National Monuments check out the entrance price of each and consider if itís worth while getting a National Parks pass. These work out about $50 for you and any passengers in your car, Grand Canyon is $25, Zion is also $25 so anything else is a bonusÖ

Cheers,

Gary

joolsb
19 Jan 2007 - 11:07 AM

So, Paul, that's the first three months of your holiday sorted...

How long did you say you were giong for? Wink

paulstefan
19 Jan 2007 - 11:17 AM

I'm only there for 4 days!
Cheers for all the suggestions - much appreciated.
I have been to the south rim at the GC so I know what to expect but we were hoping to hike down and lodge at the bottom for a couple of days which would have been cool. We may still head to the south rim and see if there are any cancellations at the bottom...

Zion and Bryce look like really good options though. I'll have to look into it more and maybe change our plans to stay there instead.

Thanks agan for the suggestions.
Cheers, Paul

BrianSS
BrianSS  7281 forum posts England35 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2007 - 3:13 PM

Well I totally agree with ALL the suggestions . . . . can't wait to return to the area myself. The whole US South West is very photogenic.

If you're only at the Grand Canyon for a short while, try and get along to the east entrance where the Watchtower is, it's worth a visit - good views there too!

While the Grand Canyon is awesome & spectacular, Bryce Canyon & Zion NP are beautiful, if ever you go to Bryce make sure you do one or two of the walks down into the Canyon.

As somebody else said there is also Monument Valley . . . . I could go on!!!

tepot
tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Jan 2007 - 4:19 PM

Grand canyon North rim is better than the south rim for images although the south rim is still impressive. it is difficult to appreciate such a canyon from a photograph though, nothing like actually being there.

PatrickSmith
19 Jan 2007 - 4:39 PM

4 days? That would only begin to cover Zion alone. I think that even though Sedona is awesome. You could get a wider variety of shots at Zion, even if you don't make it to Bryce. If only have an extra day, then go to Sedona since it is closer and the good shots are more obvious.

Look at David Muench's website for some first class images of Zion and Bryce. Search for Zion and Bryce and you'll see them all.

This guy knows how to shoot the Southwest!

Patrick

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.