Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Graphics Card

30 Jan 2013 3:45PM
What is the best graphics card for Samsung 27" S27B970D Series 9 Quad HD LED Monitor

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 4:06PM
Depends what computer you have and what you want to do with it.
lemmy 7 2.0k United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 4:22PM

Quote:What is the best graphics card for Samsung 27" S27B970D Series 9 Quad HD LED Monitor

For Photoshop the graphics provided on any normal modern motherboard are enough. Many people don't believe this but it is official Adobe information. It seems to be accepted that NVidia cards go well with Photoshop but personally I have a good NVidia card with twin monitors and the card adds nothing to the performance. I am rarely handling still files over 90b or video over 2Gb, though.

Graphics cards become necessary for some mobos if you want to use more than one monitor. But really, graphics cards are for players of 3D games which can use as much power as can be thrown at them. The monitor maker doesn't matter in terms of the graphics card.
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 4:24PM
You need to go and see someone regarding your PC and give them the details about it. Then they can advise you on your graphics card. There's little point telling you about the best graphics cards if your PC would not be able to run it
30 Jan 2013 5:21PM
Or he could just post details here....
stevie e2
10 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 7:57PM
Have you got the monitor yet? I'd like to know you find it
30 Jan 2013 10:53PM

Quote:Have you got the monitor yet? I'd like to know you find it

He just looks on his desk and there it is....Wink Sorry!
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Jan 2013 11:44PM

Quote:What is the best graphics card for Samsung 27" S27B970D Series 9 Quad HD LED Monitor

For Photoshop the graphics provided on any normal modern motherboard are enough. Many people don't believe this but it is official Adobe information. .

You are right on both counts. For photo-processing the onboard graphics of a decent modern motherboard are perfectly satisfactory. And a lot of people don't believe it.

You really only need a graphics card for streaming HD video or for gaming.
6 Feb 2013 8:00PM
You can't really get advise on a graphics card by the type of monitor you have. Graphic cards use are mainly for video editing, gaming and playback ( Blueray & HD Films )

If you wan't an affordable, graphics card get the " GeForce GTX 550ti " as it ranges about 70-90. That is plenty for what you want to do. I use it for gaming with a 37" monitor, with high/ultra being compatible settings on most games.

But if your wanting to know something to be concerned about when going into deep picture editing and video editing is processor speeds and ram that is where the magic happens!
6 Feb 2013 8:08PM
The physical size of your monitor makes no difference. It's what you do with it that counts. fnar fnar.. I mean, it's the number of pixels that matters Wink
studioline 4 72 4 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 2:47PM
i had a dog of a time with my old computer. It had a good quad processor cpu however a lot of other factors made the computer slow , one of those also being the graphics card. Problem i had was that i could not put a more powerful card in as the power supply was not up to it. I have since rebuilt the computer and thrown in the 550ti as suggested above. Saying that, prior to the purchase of the D800 with it's massive files, everything in photoshop was running just dandy.
bmh1 e2
8 571 1 United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 4:33PM
If you don't need a card for 3D games, then I'd suggest getting a fanless card, as they tend to be quieter, more reliable (no moving parts!) and lower power ...

Examples are GT610 and GT210 ...
Term 9 85 9 England
8 Feb 2013 12:22PM
depends entirely on what you hope to do with it, i.e. normally photo editing wont require the type of card modern games will. Also depends on your PC, presume you want PCI-E, but the card will depend on the space in your case, I have had cards well over 300mm long in the past.
studioline 4 72 4 United Kingdom
9 Feb 2013 7:41AM
Now another reason that I had for upgrading was that when I switched to LR4, my computer just struggled. In fairness I replaced the entire computer but I did not want to have to make more adjustments say, should I decide to start doing video work.
9 Feb 2013 10:15AM

Quote:was that when I switched to LR4, my computer just struggled.

There has been the longest thread ever on the Adobe forums on that subject. Some people find LR4 runs very slowly, unacceptably so, even on state of the art machines.

Others, like me, find it runs great even on my 5 year old system in London. I have an i5 machine I use in France and on that it is actually fast. It's bizarre in that 2 people with similar spec machines (including Macs) can find a huge difference in performance. Neither Adobe nor any of the users seem able to find anything that can explain what is going on.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.