Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Graphics Card

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

TERRYPHOTO39
30 Jan 2013 - 3:45 PM

What is the best graphics card for Samsung 27" S27B970D Series 9 Quad HD LED Monitor

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Jan 2013 - 3:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315590 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 4:06 PM

Depends what computer you have and what you want to do with it.

lemmy
lemmy  71882 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Jan 2013 - 4:22 PM

Quote: What is the best graphics card for Samsung 27" S27B970D Series 9 Quad HD LED Monitor

For Photoshop the graphics provided on any normal modern motherboard are enough. Many people don't believe this but it is official Adobe information. It seems to be accepted that NVidia cards go well with Photoshop but personally I have a good NVidia card with twin monitors and the card adds nothing to the performance. I am rarely handling still files over 90b or video over 2Gb, though.

Graphics cards become necessary for some mobos if you want to use more than one monitor. But really, graphics cards are for players of 3D games which can use as much power as can be thrown at them. The monitor maker doesn't matter in terms of the graphics card.

puertouk
puertouk  21073 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 4:24 PM

You need to go and see someone regarding your PC and give them the details about it. Then they can advise you on your graphics card. There's little point telling you about the best graphics cards if your PC would not be able to run it

Big Bri
30 Jan 2013 - 5:21 PM

Or he could just post details here....

stevie
stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Jan 2013 - 7:57 PM

Have you got the monitor yet? I'd like to know you find it

lemmy
30 Jan 2013 - 10:53 PM

Quote: Have you got the monitor yet? I'd like to know you find it

He just looks on his desk and there it is....Wink Sorry!

User_Removed
30 Jan 2013 - 11:44 PM

Quote: What is the best graphics card for Samsung 27" S27B970D Series 9 Quad HD LED Monitor

For Photoshop the graphics provided on any normal modern motherboard are enough. Many people don't believe this but it is official Adobe information. .

You are right on both counts. For photo-processing the onboard graphics of a decent modern motherboard are perfectly satisfactory. And a lot of people don't believe it.

You really only need a graphics card for streaming HD video or for gaming.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Jan 2013 - 11:45 PM
User_Removed
6 Feb 2013 - 8:00 PM

You can't really get advise on a graphics card by the type of monitor you have. Graphic cards use are mainly for video editing, gaming and playback ( Blueray & HD Films )

If you wan't an affordable, graphics card get the " GeForce GTX 550ti " as it ranges about 70-90. That is plenty for what you want to do. I use it for gaming with a 37" monitor, with high/ultra being compatible settings on most games.

But if your wanting to know something to be concerned about when going into deep picture editing and video editing is processor speeds and ram that is where the magic happens!

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Feb 2013 - 8:00 PM
Big Bri
6 Feb 2013 - 8:08 PM

The physical size of your monitor makes no difference. It's what you do with it that counts. fnar fnar.. I mean, it's the number of pixels that matters Wink

studioline
7 Feb 2013 - 2:47 PM

i had a dog of a time with my old computer. It had a good quad processor cpu however a lot of other factors made the computer slow , one of those also being the graphics card. Problem i had was that i could not put a more powerful card in as the power supply was not up to it. I have since rebuilt the computer and thrown in the 550ti as suggested above. Saying that, prior to the purchase of the D800 with it's massive files, everything in photoshop was running just dandy.

bmh1
bmh1 e2 Member 8571 forum postsbmh1 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 4:33 PM

If you don't need a card for 3D games, then I'd suggest getting a fanless card, as they tend to be quieter, more reliable (no moving parts!) and lower power ...

Examples are GT610 and GT210 ...

Term
Term e2 Member 885 forum postsTerm vcard England9 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2013 - 12:22 PM

depends entirely on what you hope to do with it, i.e. normally photo editing wont require the type of card modern games will. Also depends on your PC, presume you want PCI-E, but the card will depend on the space in your case, I have had cards well over 300mm long in the past.

studioline
9 Feb 2013 - 7:41 AM

Now another reason that I had for upgrading was that when I switched to LR4, my computer just struggled. In fairness I replaced the entire computer but I did not want to have to make more adjustments say, should I decide to start doing video work.

lemmy
9 Feb 2013 - 10:15 AM

Quote: was that when I switched to LR4, my computer just struggled.

There has been the longest thread ever on the Adobe forums on that subject. Some people find LR4 runs very slowly, unacceptably so, even on state of the art machines.

Others, like me, find it runs great even on my 5 year old system in London. I have an i5 machine I use in France and on that it is actually fast. It's bizarre in that 2 people with similar spec machines (including Macs) can find a huge difference in performance. Neither Adobe nor any of the users seem able to find anything that can explain what is going on.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.