Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Graphics Card for Photoshop CS6

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Dave_Canon
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:48 AM

I am about to buy a new PC and trying to decide what I need in the way of a graphics card. I have googled for advice but this becomes dated quickly as new Graphics cards are released. I am considering NVIDIA and probably the 600 series. However, there is a big price difference as well as power consumption between different cards. I am not looking for the cheapest but a sensible choice based on relevant peformance, power consumption and cost. I do not have any gaming needs though perhaps low end gaming might be worth having but it is Lightroom, Photoshop and other image processing software that has priority. I would welcome any advice?

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Oct 2012 - 9:48 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jat_Riski
    Jat_Riski e2 Member 664 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
    22 Oct 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hi Dave, latest Nvidia graphics card supports Cuda that make adobe software run 2x faster.

User_Removed
    22 Oct 2012 - 10:39 AM

...but if you buy a PC with a modern motherboard, the on-board graphiics will be perfectly adequate and there is no need to waste money on a seperate graphics card (unless you also use the machine for high definition video games, etc.). Much more important to spend your shekels on a fast processor and plenty of fast RAM.

I am using a machine with an i7 processor and 16Gb of RAM but no graphics card - and that runs CS6 and LR4 superbly fast.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111911 forum posts United Kingdom
    22 Oct 2012 - 11:17 AM

Quote: if you buy a PC with a modern motherboard, the on-board graphiics will be perfectly adequate and there is no need to waste money on a seperate graphics card

That advise would have been true 4- 5 years ago however the current and previous 2 - 3 versions of photoshop have included the facility to use a compatible graphics card's GPU to increase the speed that photoshop operates.

Last Modified By redsnappa at 22 Oct 2012 - 12:01 PM
    User_Removed
    22 Oct 2012 - 12:19 PM

The speedups for color grading and video editing in CS6 that some graphics cards allow for (like Nvidia Quadro range) are impressive. Speed ups in Photoshop are more modest - existing listed here and newer features here

Something like this is what I'd get for Photoshop.

Dave_Canon
    22 Oct 2012 - 2:42 PM

Thanks for the helpful advice.

Dave

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Oct 2012 - 3:29 PM

Hi Dave, are you getting Windows 8 on the PC - released later this week I think?

Dave_Canon
    22 Oct 2012 - 10:23 PM

Assuming I have any choice I will choose Windows 7. I understand that Windows 8 is more about touch screens and a Mobile/small platform look and feel which I would not find attractive. This will add an additional load for no benefit for me. I do have a review of Windows 8 in a recent computer Mag so I will read this first.

Dave

User_Removed
    22 Oct 2012 - 11:35 PM

I'm waiting on reviews of Windows 8 too. It would have to be really special for me to change. I'm very happy with Windows 7. It's mature, the drivers and service packs are mature.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.