Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Graphics workstation

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    julesm
    julesm  101698 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:56 AM

Looking at upgrading my ageing pc to something that can handle lr4 and ps5

Would this do it, or is it o Reilly?

http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/precision-t7500/pd?oc=w02t7503&model_id=pr...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

julesm
    28 Apr 2012 - 10:55 AM

Or parhaps this?

http://www.anglianinternet.co.uk/shop/Intel-Photo-and-Video-Executive-PC-System....

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading my own system at the moment and have my eye on this little beastie which seem to suit most of my requirements, have a look HERE

Ade

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 11:49 AM

For lightroom 4 and PS5 either of these would be great.....Grin

That said both are a little akin to taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut.....LOL....Smile

For the programs you mention you may well get away with a lighter spec, Though a long term view might dictate differently.

One reason for not going to mental with the specs as they are currently available is this, Things in the world of computers & software tend to change at an alarming rate, Todays top gear is next months old hat, Next years also ran, Vanish without trace etc etc.

So a heavy investment today might not be a great idea, As something bigger & better is sure to come along, Usually offering more bang for your bucks to.....Sad

I tend to advocate a high spec mainboard and CPU, Basically because these can be a pain to upgrade on a yearly basis, So for these two items get the best you can....!

Next the main or system drive, Ideally this should be an SSD, They are now more affordable, Plus the advantages over the old school mechanical are obvious, Its not just the speed.....!!

A decent mainboard should offer you at least 6 SATA 3 ports, The amount and size of drives is optional to your needs, They can also be added at anytime you like.

A decent PSU, At least a 750 watt model from someone like " Seasonic " or some of the brands using Seasonic to poduce for them, Such as Corsair, XFX etc etc.

Sure PSU can be upgraded anytime later, But its a pain the proverbial rerouting the cables etc......Best avoided.

Graphic card wise, Nvidia Quadro or ATI Firepro are pro options, But you could well get away with something like the new ATI 7000 series, Whatever just make sure they are " Display Port " capable, This will become obvious when you look around at " Pro Spec " monitor/displays etc etc.

On a personal note, I would draft up a custom spec from all that is available at the moment, That said you might find it easier to buy one of the items mentioned, If so I would go for the DELL, The Precision range is a proper workstation, Always has been, Will probably always be......Wink

julesm
    28 Apr 2012 - 12:10 PM

Wow, thanks for the comprehensive info, thats very helpful.
    Thanks fot the link Ade, I'll have a look

Jules

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114511 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 1:17 PM

A very quick update, I've just gone and bought this ChillBlast don't ask me how I'm going to pay for it mind....Gulp!!!.......That's what's my Mastercard is for.

But it seemed like a good deal from a reputable maker.........I've struggling with my current XP Core2 system with only 2gig of RAM doing stacks etc, but it is 6 years old now, so it due for renewal I think......

Before anyone asks, the old system is spoken for I'm afraid, I promised it to the grandchildren Smile

Ade

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 2:19 PM

....you can get a PC for CS5 and LR4 for 350 or less....

Ade_Osman
    28 Apr 2012 - 2:53 PM

I could have Ade, but I wanted a bit of a future proof animal that would number crunch on a serious scale and cope with anything else I throw at it at the same time......I did toy with a Mac, but it won't run some of the software I want to use.

Ade

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 3:04 PM

its your money dude - spend away Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.