Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Great Printing By Tesco

johnp e2
10 141 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 2:38PM
I've made an interesting discovery. Digital printing by Tesco (or at least our local one) is great! And until 29 Jan they are doing BOGOF.

I've designed some cards to use to promote my portraiture business and dropped them in at Tesco to get "proofs" made while we were shopping. The idea was to get the cards printed by a "proper" outfit. Fantastic quality, and I got the whole job done there.

Pricing is based on the total number of a size in the order. You save by ordering on the 24-hour service, although in reality they sometimes do them in only an hour or two.

24-hour prices for orders over 150 prints are:
4x6 5p
5x7 10p
6x8 about 20p (just spotted that the price isn't on the flyer - sorry!)

But remember - until 29 Jan you pay only half those prices. Where else can you buy 1000 high quality 4x6 (split over 6 designs) for 25?

The only thing to beware of is that the machine crops a bit off the edges and for my purpose that mattered because I had a mixture of thumbnails and text. Just needed a bit of adjustment in Photoshop to get it perfect.

John

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 2:59PM
Its certainly very competitively priced, the problem is quality. Had over 50 6 x 4 printed, after each being carefully adjusted in Photoshop. The output was quite different from the screen image. Asked them to process it again, it was improved but still quite poor. Also suffered from cropping. I suspect quality varies considerably from store to store.
sberlyn e2
8 426 1 England
23 Jan 2008 3:21PM

Quote:I...after each being carefully adjusted in Photoshop. The output was quite different from the screen image.

Possibly a calibration issue? I'd ask them to give you their ICC profile, not that they'll know what you're on about...
irweazel e2
8 167 England
23 Jan 2008 3:26PM
i've not had any problems with them, even found a enthuisat behind the counter who did some reprints for me real quick, good quality and cheap
Geoffphoto e2
8 13.5k United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 3:31PM
and don't forget your Clubcards !!!!!!
What media do they accept images on?
johnp e2
10 141 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 5:36PM

Quote:What media do they accept images on?

CF, SD, CD
John
johnp e2
10 141 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 5:50PM

Quote:Its certainly very competitively priced, the problem is quality. Had over 50 6 x 4 printed, after each being carefully adjusted in Photoshop. The output was quite different from the screen image. Asked them to process it again, it was improved but still quite poor. Also suffered from cropping. I suspect quality varies considerably from store to store.

I've found that the trick is to sort everything in Photoshop then tell Tesco to turn off all colour corrections.

John
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 5:56PM
Thanks John. Might try that.
23 Jan 2008 5:57PM
Sorry Tescos, my New Year Resolution was to stop shopping with you...

Conclusion:
1. Food is far tastier elsewhere and doesn't go mouldy before the sell by date.

2. The camper van doesn't splutter on dodgy fuel.

3. Profolab make much better prints.
23 Jan 2008 6:08PM
With you there Steve..
1. Food is far tastier elsewhere and doesn't go mouldy before the sell by date.

The sell by date being the date your shopping on....many a time have I come home with fresh meat & fish to be used on that day.

Never tried getting prints there so no comment.
pepperst e2
7 2.3k 4 Wales
23 Jan 2008 6:15PM
Food is nasty, their lunchtime stuff is awful
23 Jan 2008 6:30PM

Quote:
The sell by date being the date your shopping on....many a time have I come home with fresh meat & fish to be used on that day.

...I've had loadsa stuff go off the same day I've bought it!
Do Tesco expect us to dismantle the packaging and check if it's got fungus before we buy?
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jan 2008 11:34AM
One of my NY resolutions is to reduce or cut out supermarkets altogether especially Tesco; I am not going to support their efforts in world domination.
Having recently bought fruit and veg from the local market and meat from the local butcher it is amazing how much better quality it is; as for printing cheaply I will stick with Photobox.
BEVZED e2
8 1.1k United Kingdom
25 Jan 2008 11:41AM
Hubby buys milk, marg, loo rolls and dog food, I get everything else elsewhereSmile
The 43 mile round trip is worth every penny, cheaper than 10 mile round trips returning stinking meats and mouldy bread.
Not tried prints, tempted a couple of times when I was short on time but ....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.