Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Great Sports Images (group forum)

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Members Only

You must be logged in or registered to join a group
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jul 2010 - 11:58 PM

What's the sports image that you consider the greatest, and what makes it great for you?

Some that come immediately to mind for me are.

Firstly a topical one, Gazza in tears following defeat in the Italia 90 world cup, for the pure emotion in his face and how it represented how pretty much every England fan felt at that moment.

Or Bolt taking time to smile for the camera whilst breaking the 100 meter world record, which to me just says the man is awesome. An incredible achievement and he still had more in reserve!

Perhaps because I've recently watched Invictus, but Mandela's hand on Hansie Cronje's shoulder as he is given the Rugby World Cup, shows how an underperforming team can be turned into world champions and inspire an entire nation.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jul 2010 - 11:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122229 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2010 - 11:42 AM

This is the one for me. Ballesteros is a great golfer and always attacked the field, sometimes in a very cavalier fashion. This image has always reminded me of him as torero, daring anyone to come close. Chris Smith was to my mind one of the best sports photographers of his time. You could always pick him out at Twickenham with his cameras because he was never anywhere near the mob. Oh, and he rarely used his motor drive!

Malcolm

Geoffphoto
    6 Jul 2010 - 1:56 PM

I've always loved the work of Eamonn McCabe, he was a big inspiration to me when I started out, but my favourite sports photo is this one

piccy

but I would say that !!! Smile

Last Modified By Geoffphoto at 6 Jul 2010 - 2:30 PM
    whipspeed
    whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2010 - 5:27 PM

Inspiration for my cycling photography has to be Graham Watson, superb photographer and general nice all round chap who takes time to answer questions.

_
    _  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2010 - 8:32 PM

Possibly the Mohammed Ali V Ken Norton photo showing Ali landing a knockout blow was what got me interested in photography. It had everything, power, sweat, feeling, and all in black and white with a manual focus camera too.
    Most sports photos I've had published are destined to be chip wrapping and then forgotten

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315163 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2010 - 9:12 PM

Off te top of my head this and this Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Jul 2010 - 9:15 PM
    LensYews
    LensYews  51300 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2010 - 9:55 PM

Quote: Possibly the Mohammed Ali V Ken Norton photo showing Ali landing a knockout blow was what got me interested in photography. It had everything, power, sweat, feeling, and all in black and white with a manual focus camera too.

This one? Take about capturing the moment, that image has it all, you certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that. I'm not a boxing fan in the slightest, but that's a great image, as is the one of Norton on the ropes.

Quote: Most sports photos I've had published are destined to be chip wrapping and then forgotten

I know the feeling, but these days they don't even get that thanks to health and safety. Now its just recycled.

_
    _  9535 forum posts Virgin Islands, British4 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jul 2010 - 11:03 PM

That's the one.
    I'm no fan of boxing, but the images taken of it in the 40s, 50s and 60s with 5x4 speedgraphic cameras were simply sublime.

Ah bums and tits, tabloids would be sunk w/o them

losbarbados
    7 Jul 2010 - 8:16 PM

This one isn't bad

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.