Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Greatest guitar riffs

26 Aug 2014 7:41PM
Unfortunately I missed this on Radio 2 but I see Led Zep/Jimmy Page riff from 'Whole Lotta Love' came top. Can't disagree with the top 5 but I thought Lynryd Skynyrd 'Sweet Home Alabama' might have been up there in the top 10. Any opinions from you guitar lovers out there (and I know there are few)Smile

Radio 2 Greatest Riffs

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
26 Aug 2014 8:00PM
Personally, I like Money for Nothing. But so many to choose from.
ikett 4 372 England
26 Aug 2014 8:05PM
It should have read arrange these 100 riffs in order of preference, as a bit of fun excellent.

It would be very easy to add another 100, and not much harder to add another set.

At least there was an attempt to involve listeners, for that alone R2 should be commended.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 8:10PM
Missed it but because it was the first one I ever really loved, was school's out by Alice Cooper.
That said, there are so many more epic riffs by Mr Page that I love, and also some of the less well-known Stooges riffs which have stood the test of time.
26 Aug 2014 8:45PM

Quote:It would be very easy to add another 100, and not much harder to add another set.

At least there was an attempt to involve listeners, for that alone R2 should be commended.

I agree - that said I suppose it could be defined as the '100 Most Popular' and therefore the most commonly listened to and/or played on air.

Also, just thought of several Santana tracks which I play regularly.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 8:56PM
Are you talking riffs or guitar solos? Riffs are those repetitive hooks that occur throughout a song with little variation.
RobboB e2
8 90 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2014 8:59PM
I would have had Aqualung by Jethro Tull in the top 10 but I guess it was about right
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Aug 2014 9:52PM
I would find it an impossible task listing my 100 favs let alone my top ten, Gary Moore`s Parisienne Walkways and Thin Lizzy`s Whiskey in the jar might be in it somewhere Smile

26 Aug 2014 9:53PM

Quote:Are you talking riffs or guitar solos?

Riffs - hence the title of the post.
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
27 Aug 2014 12:26AM
Oddly enough - The Stranger by Billy Joel has one of my favourite riffs.... despite him being the piano man!

My fave of the 90's would be Smells Like Teen Spirit and Just by Radiohead

Franz Ferdinand had many good ones in the Noughties

No idea about the 2010's though
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 12:40AM
Smells Like Teen Spirit is a great but really it's just a grungy Boston More Than A Feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDCuOEG2pE

Almost identical riffs are used in Louie Louie, Wild Thing, even Transvision Vamp's Baby I Don't Care
ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
27 Aug 2014 12:50AM
standing on the shoulders of giants
parallax e2
5 121 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 8:55AM
Page was good at those chunky riffs but give me Purple Haze or Black Sabbath (title track) any day.
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 9:12AM

Quote:Smells Like Teen Spirit is a great but really it's just a grungy Boston More Than A Feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYDCuOEG2pE

Almost identical riffs are used in Louie Louie, Wild Thing, even Transvision Vamp's Baby I Don't Care

Not quite true -
Smells like... intro/chorus is a 4 chord sequence, whereas all the others are 3 chord sequences.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 9:26AM

Quote:
Not quite true -
Smells like... intro/chorus is a 4 chord sequence, whereas all the others are 3 chord sequences.

At least Cobain was honest enough to say the riffs were very close (1:56 in the video) - just goes to show how hard it is to come up with something tuly new.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.