Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Greatest guitar riffs

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

here4years
here4years e2 Member 199 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2014 - 10:45 AM

Quote: despite him being the piano man!

I also have a fave piano riff but for the life of me I can't remember who played it. It was way back, probably the 80s.

As someone said, a riff is way of pulling you into the music and the repetition can be almost hypnotic. The first riff (guitar) I ever played was the one from 'Smoke on the Water - ' very easy to play if you're a beginner (ie. me). My favourite is still the one from 'Sweet Home Alhabama' which has been played in many movies ('Forest Gump' and 'Despicable Me' to name two)

btw, I didn't recognise Gary Moore in that vid - so old lookingSad but then again I must be the same SadSad

Last Modified By here4years at 27 Aug 2014 - 10:48 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2014 - 10:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MalcolmS
MalcolmS e2 Member 91080 forum postsMalcolmS vcard England13 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2014 - 11:05 AM

'Layla' must be in there somewhere.

mikehit
mikehit  56681 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2014 - 11:18 AM

Quote: 'Layla' must be in there somewhere.

Yep - 5th.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2014 - 12:03 PM

Riffs and keyboards are an interesting thing...

If you look at anything by Billy Joel and Elton John, they tend to have a strong piano intro and themes that reappear in the songs - but they don't really contuinue through the song like a guitar riff would.

However, the world of funk is very different - think of Superstition by Stevie Wonder... that riff lasts all the way through, I know, I've played it 1000's of times Wink

Also Green Onions - that's possibly the most distinctive riff on organ ever

I loved playing Green onions.. .we had to drop it to shorten the set though Sad

Favourite Billy Joel openings to play are....

Vienna
Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
Seen the lights goo out on Broadway
Movin' Out
Summer Highland Falls
Honesty
My Life

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1241 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
27 Aug 2014 - 1:14 PM

Quote: Not quite true -
Smells like... intro/chorus is a 4 chord sequence, whereas all the others are 3 chord sequences.

My bad, when I said "Almost identical riffs are used in Louie Louie, Wild Thing, even Transvision Vamp's Baby I Don't Care" I should have said "to each other" I didn't mean to Teen Spirit which is how it sounded.

In addition to Wild Thing, Louie Louie, Baby I Don't Care that A-D-Em-D progression turns up in Get Offa My Cloud, Hang On Sloopy, Since You've Been Gone, You Really Got Me etc etc

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2014 - 2:04 PM

Our bad Smile
my interpretation also.
You're right though, that 3 chord progression is and has been popular for as long as pop music has been around.

Interestingly, if my sources are correct, Louie Louie is the most covered song in pop history, that is, if non top-40 versions are also considered.

here4years
here4years e2 Member 199 forum postshere4years vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2014 - 3:09 PM

Quote: Louie Louie,

That song always reminds of the late great John Belushi as a drunken slob of a student in the film 'National Lampoons Animal House'. If I remember correctly they play it during the toga party sequence. Hillarious! Smile

Chris_L
27 Aug 2014 - 5:17 PM

I read that too about the cover versions, previously I'd have said either Yesterday or My Way

Chris_L
27 Aug 2014 - 6:27 PM

My faves are Stones' similar riffs in Satisfaction / Jumpin Jack Flash and Led Zep's Whole Lotta Love.

Whole Lotta Love because it reminds me of watching TOTP in the days it followed Tomorrow's World and had loads of fab bands on

Here it is mashed with Helter Skelter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY2bWyiaei4

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
28 Aug 2014 - 8:34 PM

Mark King of Level 42, I was a really big fan back in the Eighties, does bass count Smile

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2014 - 4:25 PM

Well if bass is included, and I dont see why it should be, then Lonnie Liston Smith's 'Expansions' hit the mark for me Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315616 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Aug 2014 - 4:34 PM

Quote: Well if bass is included, and I dont see why it should be, then Lonnie Liston Smith's 'Expansions' hit the mark for me Smile

This is worth a view, they go on about riffs claiming pretty much any instrument can be used, Beethoven used his piano Smile

Bands like Pink Floyd, Stranglers etc had some superb riffs from the use of synthesizers and keyboards.

arhb
29 Aug 2014 - 5:31 PM

Doors too.

Chris_L
30 Aug 2014 - 3:46 AM

That synth that goes all the way through Van Halen's 'Jump' still sounds great to me, whereas I couldn't listen to Axel F. It's funny how some stuff is timeless (like Expansions which is still playing as I'm writing this) but some stuff dates really quickly.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
30 Aug 2014 - 9:19 AM

Hit me with your rhythm stick has an amazing piano riff

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.