Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Greeting Cards.....worth it?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

olbell
olbell  747 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2008 - 11:43 PM

After managing to achieve my first print sales i am interested in doing a small slection of greeting cards for a local gallery.

Firstly is it worth it money and effort wise, and who are good, cheap online suppliers? I have found one which will produce high quality A6 cards with envelopes and plastic sleeves for 53p.

Let me know your views!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Mar 2008 - 11:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrissd
chrissd  8304 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Mar 2008 - 7:16 AM

I make my own cards, they do return a fair degree of profit, it took me ages to get everything just right, but it is worth it. If you want to get a printer to do the cards for you it really doesnt pay until you are selling by the hundreds HTH
chris

User_Removed
12 Mar 2008 - 8:33 AM

It's all about volume. Getting enough outlets so that the sum of the trickles is meaningful and finding a printer in the first instance that will accomodate low volume printing at a price that makes it worth both you and your retailers while. Try and keep your quality and presentation high and be realistic about which images are likely to sell to the public.

olbell
12 Mar 2008 - 9:21 AM

Right OK, thanks for the advice!

olbell
12 Mar 2008 - 9:28 AM

Oh yeah i meant to ask what sort of profit margin can i expect if i get it right?

Cheers

stuwhitt
stuwhitt  101357 forum posts United Kingdom
12 Mar 2008 - 10:13 AM

Quote: Oh yeah i meant to ask what sort of profit margin can i expect if i get it right?

Which of course depends on how cheaply you can produce them and how much you can sell them for and dont forget the retailers cut Wink

FatHandedChap
12 Mar 2008 - 10:51 AM

I make my own cards using A6 blanks, envelopes and sleeves. I use my lab to print 4 images on a 7.5x5 print and then chop them and stick them on the front.

The joy of this method is that you can do personal print runs of only a few cards at a time and you can test the market and see what's popular without spending a fortune. As time goes on you can tweak your collection to your best sellers.

I sell at my studio/gallery and another local market but am looking at getting into other outlets this year. I work on a profit margin of 75% GP, but will look at pricing once retailers are looking to take a cut.

Tony

olbell
12 Mar 2008 - 11:03 AM

It seems a lot of people are doing homemade cards, deserves some serious consideration! Tony if you don't mind me asking do you know what your cost price per card is?

Ollie

FatHandedChap
12 Mar 2008 - 11:11 AM

I bulk buy the cards, envelops & bags at 500 at a time and the cost price works out about 35p each.

olbell
12 Mar 2008 - 11:19 AM

Great, thanks!

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
12 Mar 2008 - 11:30 AM

I can recommend On-line paper, who sell scored cards ready for printing.

User_Removed
12 Mar 2008 - 11:47 AM

Quote: Oh yeah i meant to ask what sort of profit margin can i expect if i get it right?

Cheers

I suggest that you anaylse the manufacturing cost and be realistic about it. Time + materials. Blanks, printing, envelopes, bags, postage, assembly. Add it all up and an allowance for your time. Work it out per card and then double it and you've got your base wholesale price. This makes sure you're making a 100% markup. If your base wholesale price is too much for your target outlets then go sale-or-return. There's no gamble in it for them then and little reason to turn you down but listen to what they tell you. They know thier market better than you and if they make constructive suggestions about how to change your product to make it more saleable then take it on board.

ejtumman
ejtumman  102756 forum posts England
12 Mar 2008 - 7:36 PM

I've been doing greetings cards for about a year now. They are being sold in one card shop/stationers, and on my website.

The intention is to try for more shops, but I just haven't had the time....although that will hopefully be changing soon.

I make the cards myself.... 6x4 photos, onto a 7x5 card. On the back of the card is a lable with my website details. Supplied with envelopes and put in a clear plastic bag. They cost me, in materials, 39p each. One advantage I found of making them myself is that I can make them up to order. That way I don't have to carry loads of one design in stock.

The shop has sold hundreds in the last year.... over 600 in fact. My website sales have almost reached 100 (Didn't expect to do much on there to be honest, so anything is a bonus).

It's been quite interesting seeing which designs sell well as cards.... and it's also quite fun taking pics when people have requested a particular card design.

So, I would say it is worth it.... as long as you sell hundreds.

Emma Wink

Busseauboy
13 Mar 2008 - 2:20 PM

I have made my own Christmas cards for some years - never thought about selling them though.

Using a regular printer, how do you ensure the final prints are waterproof?

**** M.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023111 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2008 - 2:41 PM

Are any greeting cards waterproof and if so....why? Surely, they are, on the whole, a throw away product of little value.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.