Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Greetings Cards at Craft Fairs

jammy_sam 7 57 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2009 9:04AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm just getting started with craft fairs & want to sell some greetings cards so my display isn't just prints. Only problem i have is i don't have a good enough quality printer to produce the cards myself.

I've found alot of websites selling card blanks so my idea was to buy some A5 blanks and mount a 5"x7" print to the front. Is this a bit cheap & unsaleable? Or will it add dimension to the card?

Just looking for any advice or possibly a good company to produce the cards on a low quantity basis. PS. I've used photobox and wasn't impressed!

Thanks in advance, Sam

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

FatHandedChap 8 1.3k England
9 Apr 2009 9:12AM
I make my cards by sticking photographs on to blanks - I'm sitting here making a batch at the moment!

I print the blanks with a border and title on the front and contact details on the back. Never had any problems selling them from my studio and in several shops in the area.

It's a great way of testing designs as well as you only need make a few at a time. If they don't sell then you aren't left with a load of stock.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
9 Apr 2009 9:20AM
Buy some blanks and then get some A4 pages printed up with multiples of the images per page. Most apertures in cards are only around 6x4cm and thus you can gey 5 or more on a page.

You want to keep the image fairly small to keep your costs down and profits up Smile
9 Apr 2009 9:25AM
Thanks for the quick replies,

FatHandedChap: What size blanks do you buy & what size print do you attach to it?

Cheers, Sam
FatHandedChap 8 1.3k England
9 Apr 2009 9:33AM
I use two sizes - A6 with a 3.75"x2.5" image (I get 4 printed on a 7.5"x5"),
and DL with a 6"x3" print (two printed on 6x6)

Tony
9 Apr 2009 9:56AM
Thanks Tony.

Have a great Easter
rowarrior 6 4.4k 9 Scotland
9 Apr 2009 12:57PM
Do watch out for the quality of the card blanks - I buy them to make other cards, and the last set I picked up were really flimsy and wouldn't have stodd up with a photo stuck on the front - the photo would have been heavier than the card! Now admittedly it was a budget pack, and I've bought similar packs before and not found them as bad, but if you can actually feel the weight of them beforehand, it might be a good idea to check.
MikeA 10 1.2k England
9 Apr 2009 1:49PM
I use these, 4 prints to A4 and with the oval aperture getting them absolutely square does not usually matter too much.
Best used with a cold laminating machine.
Plenty of other options on the web site as well.

AP07U-44
link
Phil_L 5 19 1 Wales
9 Apr 2009 4:19PM
At the moment I spraymount prints up to around 100 x 80mm max size, depending on crop, onto A6 card blanks. I print my own on an epson R800...a fairly old model but a good printer that you can still buy. I can get 5 sometimes 6 images on an A4 sheet. I print them with a thin black stroke border and leave another 1mm white border around this when trimming.I use plain single fold blanks which I usually get the from CC. (MikeA's link above), along with matching envelopes and cello bags. Small printed stick on Avery label on the back with details before bagging. The whole thing looks reasonably professional when finished and they do sell well locally, especially local subject matter. The process though is very time consuming. I'm now exploring ways of printing directly onto pre-folded photo card blanks.
dasantillo 9 231 1 Wales
14 Apr 2009 8:31AM
As an alternative, you could have them printed for you. This company allow you to order just 1 and are cheap enough to be able to sell the cards at 1 each with envelope and sleeve (sourced separately, let me know if you want a cheap supplier) Heavy card silk is good for cards, but get a sample first to see for yourself. I was printing my own but am switching to having them printed for me.
Stockczech 8 445 Czech Republic
14 Apr 2009 8:44AM
Thanks for the link, Dan.

Sheila
MikeA 10 1.2k England
20 Apr 2009 1:07PM
I'll second that thanks to Dan Sheila, just had my first samples of "Heavy Card Gloss" cards back, will not be printing my own either. Delivery is very swift too.

MikeA Smile
User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
20 Apr 2009 1:20PM
Dan, thanks for the link. Good prices and short runs so I am definately interested.
dasantillo 9 231 1 Wales
20 Apr 2009 1:24PM
It was originally 'aftertherain' who bought this company to my attention here, so credit really goes to them.

BTW, when the time comes, their calendar printing is fantastic!
20 Apr 2009 2:26PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Should come in very handy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.