Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Grosmont NYMR advice

26 Feb 2008 8:10PM
I'm off to the Grosmont area soon and wondered if anybody had any advice/tips on shooting in the railway sheds and surrounding area.

Thanks

Alan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

culturedcanvas 9 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2008 8:21PM
Alan

Fast lenses if you are in the sheds and phone in advance and see if you can make arrangements to get access to restrcited areas. Remember that areas are dangerous and be respectful of people working with dangerous pieces of kit!

High ISO's are the order of the day at certain times and a tripod and some HDR practice can help too on certain shots. Early morning if you can get access is probably the best time.

Don't forget to work the detail shots and look for images which gives a sense of place. Dont just shoot big engines ... show the people which are probably the most interesting part of this railway. Be very observant and look for the tools of the trade so to speak ... steam is emotive and is obviously work including in many shots providing it shows something different. theres also a lot of abstracts of the trains and detail shots to be enjoyed.

Its a great place and I've got plenty of good shots from here. Keith has spent more time here than anyone else so might be worth bending his ear.

Dan
MrsS 8 4.5k 18 England
26 Feb 2008 8:23PM
Would recommend you have a chat with Hailwood and Graysta too Smile
26 Feb 2008 8:36PM
Wow thanks Dan for taking the time to reply. I will have to read up on hdr. As I understand it, it involves combining multiple images from over exposed to underexposed to produce a combined image. Or is that too simplistic. I haven't attempted it yet as I don't have the software to process them. I am getting access to CS3 shortly - will that do the trick?

Alan
stevenb e2
11 260 6 England
26 Feb 2008 9:28PM
I suggest you contact them before your vist to arrange possible access to the sheds. Part of the conditions are the correct safty equipment a high visiblity (bright orange) over safety vest.
This is their web site www.nymr.co.uk
Hope this helps

Bill
Graysta 9 1.1k England
27 Feb 2008 6:24AM
To go on or about the line you must have a lineside permit.for this you also must have completed a personal track safety course. The N.Y.M.R. are now a train operating company,which means that the saftey standards are very much a priority.If you cannot access these areas theres still plenty of shots to be had, i have been photographing line this for years long before going on lineside.

Graham
27 Feb 2008 7:55PM
Thanks Graham - much appreciated.

Alan
Graysta 9 1.1k England
27 Feb 2008 9:24PM
There is a public viewing area at Gosmont,from which you can shoot .Or you can walk round the corner towards the deviation shed and get some shots over the gate into the shed,down at the deviation shed you are next to the coaling tower and can get shots of engines under pre running inspection over the pit can be quite atmospheric,all these are public areas and no jacket required.Hope this helps.

Graham

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.