Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Group On

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Paul_Anthony
15 Mar 2012 - 5:18 PM

Any other photographers on here that have had a Feature with Group On? How has it gone for you?

We have had two features so far, the first going well with 160 photo sessions sold, the second not so good with just 35 being sold. The second was in the middle of January which was probably not a great time to feature and the first was in October which was great as Christmas was around the corner.

Overall I would say that they have been good for us as they brought over 200 customers to our doorstep that we would not have had if it wasn't for Group On, as I say in this article , it's all about up selling your product.

We are due to feature again next month with a New Born Baby offer.

Last Modified By Paul_Anthony at 15 Mar 2012 - 5:19 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Mar 2012 - 5:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

monkeygrip
15 Mar 2012 - 5:54 PM

My experience is if you think groupon will make you rich think again, if you use like it sounds like you have it is a brilliant marketing excersize my beginners photography class has now sold over 600 seats in the last 12 months.

4 listings in two different cities hitting approx 300,000 people has driven loads of business and even got me a very large car company as a new client.

It is a pain in the bum though but worth it.

User_Removed
15 Mar 2012 - 7:31 PM

What's Group On?

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 7:32 PM

Groupon

User_Removed
15 Mar 2012 - 8:14 PM

Thanks Coleslaw.

I do know them - get loads of junk spam e-mails from them.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
15 Mar 2012 - 8:15 PM

Have you signed up?
Personally, I love groupon, kgbdeals and livingsocial. I have bought plenty of meal coupons through them, and loving it.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 15 Mar 2012 - 8:16 PM
Paul_Anthony
16 Mar 2012 - 9:14 AM

It is really tricky to put together a deal to feature.

You want to give away as little as possible to enable you to have good opportunity for up selling. And they want to give a s much as possible to their customers. It takes a fair bit of negotiation and compromise from both parties before you reach a satisfactory arrangement.

Cant really fault them though, as a marketing tool they are great. We give all our clients referral cards, even the Group Ons that don't spend much more with us often send new customers our way.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012518 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 1:46 PM

they've been given a bit of slap http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17398809
naughty

Coleslaw
16 Mar 2012 - 2:00 PM

Whatever deals you buy into, you still have to do the work yourself.
For example, Tesco might be advertising bogof on some items, but you might get it cheaper buying just one in Asda.

I only buy into meal deals, and loving it.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 4:33 PM

I've read that some businesses (esp smaller newer ones) have had problems where they've signed up for/been pressured into too many groupon coupons and the result is that they end up with so many clients that they can't actually meet the demand if all are redeemed. Time limits and the fact that not all will be might ease the problem, but if you take on too many you'll have to turn away many of those new clients simply because one can't take the volume.

I'd also consider it a bit of a risk since things like groupon are discount offers; many who go for such are often either not able to afford anymore (no upselling chance) or they are hagglers and out for the best deal (you might get an extra sale but you'll have to work really hard to get it).

Like a lot of things its a gamble, it will work for some and it might not work for others - but it always works for groupon. Tongue

Paul_Anthony
16 Mar 2012 - 4:46 PM

Quote: I'd also consider it a bit of a risk since things like groupon are discount offers; many who go for such are often either not able to afford anymore (no upselling chance) or they are hagglers and out for the best deal (you might get an extra sale but you'll have to work really hard to get it).

It all depends on how you market yourself and what you try to up sell exactly.

Well aware that our customers have purchased the Group On voucher with the view to getting a bargain, we designed a number of 'Upgrade' options to offer the Group On customers at a very reasonable price. This strategy is based upon selling in higher volumes. For instance, if we were to have offered a CD containing 5 Low Res, Watermarked Images with the Group On offer, we would offer the client an upgrade to Higher Resolution Copyright Free Images at a lower price than our normal prices, the client get a deal and we still make money..

It is unlikely that a Group On customer will spend 500 - 600 on one of our Frames, although saying that, quite a few have Grin . But they do want to purchase additional prints, with this in mind we put together a range of 'Print Packs' to offer our Group On clients, the more they buy, the cheaper they get.

Things are pretty tough going at the moment, you have to grab every opportunity and run with it..

as above, we hand out referral cards to every customer also, so those 200 Group On clients may well turn into 200 additional clients..

Last Modified By Paul_Anthony at 16 Mar 2012 - 4:48 PM
thewilliam
16 Mar 2012 - 4:48 PM

The problem seems to arise where Groupon persuade the merchant to give away too much because they want as many punters as possible to buy into the deal. The OFT has had complaints from punters who couldn't get served within a reasonable time. I seem to remember reading about one punter who was told that she'd have to wait 5 months for a cut-price hairdressing appointment!

Groupon has now promised OFT that it will check that merchants are able to deliver the promised deals.

Where the deal is going to benefit the merchant, there will probably be fewer takers.

There was a newbie Californian snapper who offered a fantastic, probably loss-making, deal that included a home shoot. She didn't include a geographical limit and sold something like 2000 deals. I can't imagine how she could have avoid bankruptcy.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 16 Mar 2012 - 4:50 PM
Paul_Anthony
16 Mar 2012 - 4:51 PM

Group On have tightened up their 'Rules, Regulations and Terms' considerably. We have noticed this as we deal with them regularly, they are a lot more cautious these days.

steve_p
steve_p  81089 forum posts England
16 Mar 2012 - 4:54 PM

I signed up to this site and found that the deals werent up to much. I got fed up with the constant rubbish emails from them.
My stepdaughter signed me up to a similar site "Wowcher" which is being quite heavily advertised on the TV at the moment.
Exactly the same as Groupon not worth the hassle with the rubbish emails!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
16 Mar 2012 - 5:36 PM

Sounds complicated to me!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.