Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

grouping layers

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Aug 2012 - 3:14 AM

What is the deal about grouping layers, i read a lt about it in magazines but last time i tried it i got in a tangle,
    once i have 4 layers grouped, can i still make alterations to the grouped layers individually? what is the advantage of grouping layers?

Terry.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Aug 2012 - 3:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 8:23 AM

Not sure of all the uses for grouping but I often use photoshop grouping for designing screen layouts. A button might consist of 3 or 4 layers (background, text, shine efect, etc). Once I have the button looking right I group the layers then I can copy that group and move them about as one, yet still be able to edit them.

Quote: what is the advantage of grouping layers?

Basically when you have some layers that all need to be moved/sized together then groups help - also if you have loads of layers in a file it helps you keep track of them all.

Quote: once i have 4 layers grouped, can i still make alterations to the grouped layers individually?

yes

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82318 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 8:44 AM

I find it a useful feature - occasionally.

My main use of grouping layers is when I am working on a mono conversion of a colour image. All the layers that go into the mono conversion - e.g. Separate curve layers and dodge burn layers needed in the mono, but not the colour image, and the mono conversion itself can be usefully grouped. This allows me to make adjustments/edits to each layer in the group should I wish, but to also turn off the group entirely by clicking the visibility icon against the group in the layers palette.

Adam

tommythecat
    28 Aug 2012 - 10:12 AM

Also useful if you want to apply a single layer mask to multiple layers. You can move the sub-layers around independently of the layer mask, which can be useful in some situations too.

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 10:13 AM

Quote: Also useful if you want to apply a single layer mask to multiple layers.

Isn't that only available on CS6, apply layer mask to the group?

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014794 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 10:51 AM

Nah - all versions Cole

I use them a lot when using alpha channel masks - say you've done a curves layer with an alpha channel mask, you may want to mask out bit of that.... if you start changing the Alpha mask and screw up, you can't go back that easily - so I pop the curves layer into a group, then add a mask the the group and edit that mask instead of the alpha channel one Wink

All done in actions - just record it once, use over and over with no fuss

sherlob
    sherlob e2 Member 82318 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 11:01 AM

Woah!!! You know I haven't understood a single sentence in the last three posts. I think I need to brush up on my photoshop skills!

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 11:31 AM

Ah, my mistake.
    I think it is Layer Style/Effect on Group that is available on CS6.

tepot
    tepot  104416 forum posts United Kingdom
    31 Aug 2012 - 5:45 PM

Lots of interesting idea's, thanks guys.

Terry.

Last Modified By tepot at 31 Aug 2012 - 5:46 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.