Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guess what.. recommendations please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7239 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2006 - 10:47 PM

As with many other topics, I'm starting out in the SLR world. Was looking at the Canon Eos350d then came the 400d, I am now also looking at the D80, new K10D and A100. My problem is I am drawn to the built in IS on A100 and K10d for cost reasons (cheaper lenses) but for some reason the image quality of the Canon and Nikon are drawing me that way(heard of high noise on A100. Mainly shooting landscapes and usual holiday snaps. Any advice would be grateful as although I can stretch to all these cameras this is a big purchase and one I want to try and get right.
    Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Sep 2006 - 10:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Sep 2006 - 10:54 PM

Chris there is no clear winner. If you get serious about landscapes you will end up sticking it on a tripod. So no real advantage of IS there.

Holiday snaps, well for walking around IS helps. I think the A100 and D80 use the same sensor so expect the same performance. The 400D is very new and I have not seen any back to back tests. Traditionally Canon offer lower noise at high ISO, but Nikon tend to offer a better quality kit lens, but remember everything can change. The Sony has the lowest optical quality kit lens from the review I have read.

You may want to think about lenses etc before you buy and handle the cameras. In short I doubt any of them are bad.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    Nike55
    Nike55  8956 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Sep 2006 - 11:05 PM

...you pays your money and take your chance (and don't expect a modicum of consensus, not on this site).

There is a big gulf (not for Canon 300D users) between landscapes and holiday snaps. You may be better off not compromising with cheap (= crap) lenses.

If you have to compromise don't panic - chances are your personal circumstances will improve over time for you to ramp up to a Nikon D2, the only drawback is in comparing what you shoot with what's posted on this site and what gets all the votes - but you may not aspire to this.

Essentially, like a car, you are looking for a good trade-in price when the new, all singing, all dancing (shoots kids and landscapes) camera comes out next month.

But even if you do have to compromise you can make it all better again by spending a few hours in photoshop.

I wouldn't let IS sway you - it's a gimmick. If you're shooting landscapes you will want to use a tripod anyway.

If not shooting landscapes just "up" the ISO and reduce the f/stop to get faster "no shake" shots ofn the kids - spend the difference on a good flashgun.

..hope that helps.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    strawman
    29 Sep 2006 - 11:15 PM

Quote: don't expect a modicum of consensus
    There is a big gulf (not for Canon 300D users) between landscapes and holiday snaps.
    comparing what you shoot with what's posted on this site and what gets all the votes
    But even if you do have to compromise you can make it all better again by spending a few hours in photoshop.

Glad to see you are not bitter and carry a big heavy chip on your shoulder Nike. Smile

Having gone on a course with people using Nikon D70's and Canon 300D's to do landscapes, the difference in final image quality was negligible. Conclusion, for cameras of equivalent technologies there is not a lot in it. Go for the ones that feel like they will work best for you, and have lenses you want and can afford.

as for Landscape quality, I have won a couple of minor camera club competitions against 35mm sourced images, even in the slide category. Resolution has never been raise as an issue, but subject and compositon has. Hence my thought that any of the ones you mention will be fine.

Nike55
    29 Sep 2006 - 11:46 PM

Quote: I have won a couple of minor camera club competitions against 35mm sourced images,

Well good for you - that was against the novice/disposable throw away class? Smile Smile Smile Smile

Quote: Glad to see you are not bitter and carry a big heavy chip on your shoulder Nike

No that's not a chip - it's a Bronica on a tripod!!

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

strawman
    30 Sep 2006 - 12:13 AM

Sadly not, it was against people who use Velvia and are upset at the passing of the ISO50 version. Cameras vary from good MF ones like the Canon T90 to more modern AF ones.

They just restrict you to 35mm or smaller so that the competition is on the image not how big your kit is.

Apart from the agony, any results from the Bronnie?

Nike55
    30 Sep 2006 - 1:03 AM

Quote: Apart from the agony, any results from the Bronnie?

If you mean me - yes, very many wonderful images. Unfortunatley the degradation on loading to this site means I don't bother.

tepot
    tepot  94416 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Sep 2006 - 3:12 AM

Quote: Unfortunatley the degradation on loading to this site means I don't bother.

you are obviously dissatisfied with this site (the best photographic site on the web by far), why don't you just leave and stop bitching about it? i'm sure you would be greatly missed Grin

cult
    cult  975 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Sep 2006 - 6:19 AM

What Degradation?

Slow loading, quality of memebers? in what way has it degraded?

I am sure the Admin would like to heare constructive critisism rather than a general rant Wink

@Topic only advice I can give is this..

They are all top quality cameras get down to a shop have a feel and a play and see which is most comfortable in the hand. I went for the 30D and will never look back. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.