Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editor Bias?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jonathanbp
jonathanbp e2 Member 694 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
16 Nov 2010 - 4:37 PM

I am constantly dismayed at how some really first class photograpy is overlooked on this website, it really feels like a farce.

This picture, totally overlooked:
http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1687763/addfav

And these in my opinion, just look at bad quality of the large version, is given an award by a Guest Editor?

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1612108

http://www.ephotozine.com/photo/1685170/large

It seems that some people gain recognition, not for their craft or skill, but because they use this website as social website more than a photography website.

How can it be a fair website when some people who's photograpy is worthy of the National Geographic are overlooked and others are rewarded for taking snapshots?

I've learnt a lot since being here through communicating with supportive photographers who are willing to share their feedback generously but I constantly see imbalanced voting, which there is nothing anyone can do about, but when Guest Editors jump on the biased social networking bandwagon it calls into question the credibility of the website.

Annoyed,

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Nov 2010 - 4:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 4:40 PM

Quote: I've learnt a lot since being here

Unfortunately you have obviously not learned the big secret. That is that ePz is populated by humans and humans are not perfect. You also haven't learned to enjoy the site in your own way, let others enjoy it in theirs and don't get stressed about things you don't like. Smile

Ian

digicammad
16 Nov 2010 - 4:42 PM

By the way, if you feel you can do a better Guest Editor job put yourself forward. I'm sure the team would be perfectly happy to give you a chance.

Oh and another by the way, one of the things that makes us human is our variety, including our likes and dislikes.

Ian

jonathanbp
jonathanbp e2 Member 694 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
16 Nov 2010 - 4:44 PM

Quote: I've learnt a lot since being here

Unfortunately you have obviously not learned the big secret. That is that ePz is populated by humans and humans are not perfect. You also haven't learned to enjoy the site in your own way, let others enjoy it in theirs and don't get stressed about things you don't like. Smile

Ian

When it comes to regular voting, I totally agree with you, but, it is a photography website and I tihnk that the Editor system is supposed to be there to encourage good photography.

digicammad
16 Nov 2010 - 4:52 PM

The relative quality of the images is your own personal view. In fact the subject matter is so different it is difficult to compare them. As I said, put yourself forward as a Guest Editor and you can then make sure things are done fairly (in your eyes).

JamesGarfield
16 Nov 2010 - 4:57 PM

Well if I'm honest none of those pics do anything for me, that's doesn't mean they are not any good, it just means if I was guest editor I would "overlook" them too. Good and bad are just a matter of individual opinion.

Last Modified By JamesGarfield at 16 Nov 2010 - 4:58 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1315547 forum posts England
16 Nov 2010 - 4:58 PM

It certainly seems to be a bit of "you give me one, I'll give you one" (fnarr fnarr) amongst some of the guest editors. Does it bother me ? Not really. It's over a year since I uploaded something.

javam
javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 5:22 PM

Quote: Editor system is supposed to be there to encourage good photography.

The notion that good photography is something that can be decided objectively is an ideal, subjective opinion is the reality.

Even if you take photography out of that sentence it still applies. How many people watch X Factor? However many it is I am never going to think it is anything but a waste of air time and a promotional vehicle for worthless lip warbling pop.

User_Removed
16 Nov 2010 - 6:12 PM

Quote: but, it is a photography website and I think that the Editor system is supposed to be there to encourage good photography.

(Where the 'ell did I put that ruddy tin 'at!!! It's been soooo long....)

Wink

We've 'been here' just so many times.... Ian ('digicammad') nails when he says -

Quote: The relative quality of the images is your own personal view. In fact the subject matter is so different it is difficult to compare them. As I said, put yourself forward as a Guest Editor and you can then make sure things are done fairly (in your eyes).

Last Modified By User_Removed at 16 Nov 2010 - 6:14 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 6:26 PM

the reason for the Guest Editor is to allow disgruntled members to go through the process of awarding images for a week - hopefully in that week they'll see that looking through 1000+shots per day is not an easy task and will test your quality threshold - things may slip under the radar after you've been looking through 900 shots... you may well have seen 800 robins that week and really can't differentiate between them...

If you are unhappy with the GE award, this is THE perfect way for you to get happy - ask Pete to get you on the rota, show us what we should all be doing and where we are going wrong!

I look forward to learning about photography from looking at your selections

csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 6:37 PM

How can an editor that changes every week be biased? Two awards yes but from different people.

Maybe both those people thought that the work of the individual you highlighted has been overlooked by all previous guest editors and so decided to redress the balance.

If it appeals then a GE can award, simples!

It's not like it comes with a cheque for £10k so does it really matter?

I know a few people got really hung up over my choices when I did the slot a couple of months back, but really why should it bother them so much what images I gave the award to? It seems to be much more those that I did not award that are bothered - I wonder why?

I have a simple solution and we are getting close to this anyway, give every upload an award. For those that don't get an EC or HC or GEA or UA or RC give the a NAA (no award award). Then everyone will be happy. All images uploaded should also appear in the top section of your portfolio. Instant satisfaction.

Oh yeah, but then the perceived value of each award will need to be analysed.

See you all again in a few months...

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014708 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 6:41 PM

ooh you cynic Wink

you still working at the fun house?

losbarbados
16 Nov 2010 - 7:03 PM

The thing with "choice" awards is that is all they are, someone saying I like that one.
As far as I am concerned there is only one person that needs to like it, and that is the person that took it, yes its nice for someone else to like it, and its nice to get the feedback that is given here. It's one thing that is clear is that my tastes in what is good is completely differant from the next person. Live with it.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 7:09 PM

Quote: How can it be a fair website when some people who's photograpy is worthy of the National Geographic are overlooked and others are rewarded for taking snapshots?

It doesn't mean that every shot that person takes is worthy of an award. Having looked at your example I can see why it was `overlooked'.....imho....there is something that doesn't quite hit the nail on the head, whether it's the hand in front of the child's face, the distracting background or the out of focus foot. Fine it would sit well in a charity advertising campaign but I too would opt for `Autumn Berries', (surely not just a snapshot?) given the choice of these 3 Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314811 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 7:29 PM

Quote: the reason for the Guest Editor is to allow disgruntled members to go through the process of awarding images for a week

Are they, I had`nt realised that.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.