Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Guest Editor Bias?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
csurry
csurry  129230 forum posts92 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 7:30 PM

Quote: the reason for the Guest Editor is to allow disgruntled members to go through the process of awarding images for a week

I know and he called me a cynic! Pot, kettle...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Nov 2010 - 7:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jonathanbp
jonathanbp e2 Member 594 forum postsjonathanbp vcard Indonesia
16 Nov 2010 - 7:40 PM

Quote:
If you are unhappy with the GE award, this is THE perfect way for you to get happy - ask Pete to get you on the rota, show us what we should all be doing and where we are going wrong!

Well, I don't think it is a question of 'should' or what is 'wrong' - I'm merely begging the question and I'm certainly not convinced that I would do a better job, except I wouldn't vote on a picture just because I like someone, and I'm not saying that this is what happened in the example I gave. Perhaps my taste in photography is not within the norm, which is ok too.

miptog
miptog  83529 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 7:45 PM

Quote: It seems that some people gain recognition, not for their craft or skill, but because they use this website as social website more than a photography website.

How can it be a fair website when some people who's photograpy is worthy of the National Geographic are overlooked and others are rewarded for taking snapshots?

This remains an issue for EPZ. The question seems to come up every few months in some form, and whilst there have been attempts which have provided a partial solution (being a GE is one) it still remains a problem waiting to be resolved.

Last Modified By miptog at 16 Nov 2010 - 7:46 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014213 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 7:53 PM

I truly thought Guest Editor came about because Pete kept saying; if you think you can do better, have a go. I didn't think it was actually supposed to mean something. However, it was only a matter of time for this thread to show up.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 63723 forum postsNick_w vcard England98 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 8:06 PM

Jonathan, the image you linked to was a super image, well under rated IMHO - but its only my opinion, as is the guest editor awards. Everyone has personal favourite, some don't like Black and White, some don't like limited DOF. And some would hate how the image has been displayed (titles etc) which does IMO detract.

If someone takes time and effort to be guest editor it is unfair to say all they are trying to do is harvest votes. If you are unhappy why not put yourself forward to Pete to be guest editor, I'm sure he would accomadate you. But don't be shocked if others question your personal tastes and preferances as you have done the guest editors in question.

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 8:26 PM

As with any art form its all subjective. In my years here there have been some stunning motorsport / car photographs that have graced these pages, however few will break the 30 vote mark, let alone gain the higher echanlons of EC/HC/GE.

Does this make them inferior photos? No it just means they don't appeal to a large number of people, who will just pass over them without a second glance. The same can often be said of reportage as has happened with this shot.

It doesn't make it any better or any worse, just not recognised at that time, I'm sure if I was GE then hardly any wildlife / landscape pics would get anywhere purely as I really don't see them unless something really grabs me and shakes me about a bit.

Eviscera
Eviscera  71094 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 9:04 PM

I can see how non appealing subjects / art would struggle , but a good judge should be able to see and award beyond personal taste and take into account the technical , compositional and emotive merits of an image whatever their preferred genre.

It does baffle me how some evidently crap images receive such attention and must demoralise newcomers who actually know one end of the camera from the other.

Still , nothing wrong with the blind leading the blind so long as your enjoying yourself !

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1218416 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 9:15 PM

I'm glad I got to that pic before you Jonathan and voted on it. A sign in my eyes it's a cut above the rest and in my world it was not a "picture, totally overlooked". I would really like you to take on the role of guest editor for a week, then if photos like that turn up in your week they would get the recognition you believe they deserve and the site would be a richer place for it. Go for it. Here's the link. become Guest Editor for a Week. My last post in that thead shows the weeks available.

losbarbados
16 Nov 2010 - 9:21 PM

The thing with personal taste is you will always be drawn to it, given the choice between a good shot from an American football match, over an arty shot - The sport picture will in hands down every time simply because I understand what has gone in to making the sport picture, and I don't with the art side of things. I may think the arty one looks nice, but technically I wouldn't get it. I'm guessing looking at your protfolio you would be the opposite (as will most people here) As you asay, the important thing is you enjoy yourself

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade  1014560 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 9:22 PM

Quote: the reason for the Guest Editor is to allow disgruntled members to go through the process of awarding images for a week

ah - that does read differently to what I intended...

I guess I meant "members, happy or disgruntled"

not all GE's are upset with the site of course Smile

Eviscera
Eviscera  71094 forum posts United Kingdom149 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 9:42 PM

Not at all Andy , I wouldn't multi vote everything you put up day after day (like some do to others) but you sure have some brilliantly timed images in your gallery.

MrsS
MrsS e2 Member 74527 forum postsMrsS vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
16 Nov 2010 - 11:02 PM

I have to agree with Pete - go for it! I might have done a bad job in some eyes, and a brilliant one in others, BUT, I picked the shots that made me go "WOW", as I'm sure all the other guest editors do.

One thing that was an eye-opener was that it made me look at EVERY image posted in the Gallery - something I haven't done in a looooooong while - e2 and it's option for favourites can make one a tad introverted, only looking at those photographers that have made it into your "favourites" Wink

So, give it a go - it's a blast! Grin

F x

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014213 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2010 - 4:30 AM

Jonathon, hey, take Pete up on his offer; can't wait to rip your choices apart.Wink Just kidding.

losbarbados
17 Nov 2010 - 6:53 AM

I've just taken a look through a couple of pages in the gallery, and what was the first image at the begining wasn't far off the bottom of the page when I went back to page 1, so I don't envy anyone that ofers to be the guest ed, there are an awful lot of images to go through.

mrswoolybill
mrswoolybill Critique Team 7332 forum postsmrswoolybill vcard United Kingdom886 Constructive Critique Points
17 Nov 2010 - 11:08 AM

I regard the UAs and GEAs as the two most positive developments on the site since I joined, because they result in a wider range of vision, and a wider range of work receiving recognition. Different people are excited by different things. Before I undertook my GE week I posted an advance notice in the Guest editor forum thread:

Quote: I look for capture-the-moment, personal vision, passion - effectively conveyed. I'm obsessive about light, composition, creative rule-breaking (and quite a few other things too). I promise to look at every upload this week (I try to anyway) and to give my reasons for each award...

I awarded one of the GEAs questioned above. At the time I gave my reason, and I’ll repeat what I said then because it matters to me:

Quote: For me it's a singer stepping out of the spotlight with arms raised to acknowledge the applause. IN SHORT IT MAKES MY IMAGINATION WORK. I love it when that happens.

And I agree that some truly outstanding work on the site goes overlooked - at one point during my week I posted an appeal in the reality? group for people to look at such an upload. So if you are dissatisfied with what has gone before, volunteer to do the job yourself for a week.
Moira

Last Modified By mrswoolybill at 17 Nov 2010 - 11:11 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.